• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, the blob said:

BP had those three titles in the run up to civil war and the BP movie. He isn't a C list character right now, or since 2016 when coates started writing and the character was hyped, but he had been for a long time. That's it. The BP comics series never sold well as far as I know.  That information is presumably on comichron, which my office blocks for some reason, so I can't look it up.

For the bulk of my collecting history, which began in 1980, the gestalt, to me, was that MK was a much more visible character.  I’d say that, in the last ten years, and particularly the last couple, that that has significantly changed.

I can't believe this is even a debate. Today, it's not even close. 5 years ago, it was obviously closer, but I think it was still miles apart. Use the common man on the street test. 10 years ago, significantly more people would be able to ID Black Panther versus a tiny fraction (less than 1% I would guess) could identify Moon Knight. After he showed up in Civil War, it was Game Over. 

14 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I can't believe this is even a debate. Today, it's not even close. 5 years ago, it was obviously closer, but I think it was still miles apart. Use the common man on the street test. 10 years ago, significantly more people would be able to ID Black Panther versus a tiny fraction (less than 1% I would guess) could identify Moon Knight. After he showed up in Civil War, it was Game Over. 

I didn't know that was the test. He looks like a panther and his name is taken from a pretty famous name. Most people on the street would not be able to identify daredevil despite the movie and show, is he ontbe same list. Anyway, i threw moon knight out there randomly as a character with similar solo series runs to BP (and i suspect sold more books in those runs, at least until the 2016 re-boot), it could have been silver surfer too, would that have been better? My wife thinks BP looks like an S&M gimp, go figure.

Edited by the blob

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I didn't know that was the test. He looks like a panther and his name is taken from a pretty famous name. Most people on the street would not be able to identify daredevil despite the movie and show, is he ontbe same list. Anyway, i threw moon knight out there randomly as a character, it could have been silver surfer too, would that have been better?

Yes. Silver Surfer is much more recognizable than Moon Knight and on a much more even plane with Black Panther. You picked a terrible character to use as your example. 

On 2/19/2018 at 12:06 AM, Mapleleafvann said:

Nothing wrong with this listing and not called FF #52???  Here is the listing title.....again.

Marvel's Greatest Comics Fantastic Four #52 First Appearance of Black Panther

Yeah, I see that. And like I said before, he showed scans and said it in the description. I'm actually fed up with buyers who never read the descriptions and complain about something when it was clearly stated. I'm not talking about having to read 10 paragraphs worth of fine print. I put 2 paragraphs at most and people still complain or ask me questions that are already covered in the description. I vote for the seller here. You don't read, you deserve to be taken to the cleaners.

Edited by Philflound

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:roflmao:

FF 52 (July 1966)
Jungle Action - 20 issues (Jul 1973 - Nov 1976) REPRINT SERIES, but he did have his name on the cover
Black Panther - 15 issues (Jan 1977 - May 1979)
Black Panther - 4 issues (Jul 1988 - Oct 1988)
Black Panther: Panther's Prey - 4 issues (1991)
Black Panther - 62 issues (Nov 1998 - Sep 2003)
Black Panther - 41 issues (Apr 2005 - Nov 2008)
Black Panther - 12 issues (Apr 2009 - Mar 2010)
Black Panther: The Man Without Fear - 11 issues (Feb 2011 - Nov 2011)
Black Panther: The Most Dangerous Man Alive - 7 issues (Nov 2011 - Apr 2012)
Black Panther - ongoing (Jun 2016 - )

WWBN 32 (Aug 1975)
Moon Knight - 38 issues (Nov 1980 - Jul 1984)
Moon Knight - 6 issues (Jun 1985 - Dec 1985)
Marc Spector: Moon Knight - 60 issues (Jun 1989 - Mar 1994)
Moon Knight - 4 issues (Jan 1998 - April 1998)
Moon Knight - 4 issues (Jan 1999 - Feb 1999)
Moon Knight - 30 issues (Jun 2006 - Jul 2009)
Vengeance of the Moon Knight - 10 issues (Nov 2009 - Sep 2010)
Moon Knight - 12 issues (Jul 2011 - Jun 2012)
Moon Knight - 17 issues (May 2014 - Sep 2015)
Moon Knight - ongoing (Jun 2016 - )

:roflmao::roflmao:

Well, Lazyboy often provides facts without analysis, but it IS preferred to the inverse. :grin:

2 hours ago, Philflound said:

I vote for the seller here. You don't read, you deserve to be taken to the cleaners.

I think you may be a minority of one, however . . . :whistle:

(As much as I enjoy your posts Phil, I'd let go of this one.) lol

Edited by divad

15 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Big deal. Nearly everyone has been in the Avengers, especially if you include the offshoot teams.

Forget this stupid "staple" argument. It's not relevant because either both BP and MK are staples, or neither are staples.

The original point was that they are both lower tier characters, which remains true. I'm willing to put them on the same level if you just don't like people saying MK is higher.

For what, a month overlap with both short-lived titles?

Marvel currently giving BP a push doesn't change his 50+ year history. He could become bigger than he has been, and most likely has a better chance than Moon Knight of doing so. Still, until it actually happens...

No, not nearly everyone has been in the Avengers. The single largest and most popular superhero team in comics.

Why do you think they have offshoots like New Avengers, Dark Avengers, Secret Avengers, etc... the later MK was in.

As far as being a staple, nothing would be lost from Marvel if Moon Knight was gone. Nothing. BP on the other hand would be big news.

Usually you bring some good information to the table, but you're really struggling with this one.

Here you go buddy.

index.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

13 hours ago, Philflound said:

I vote for the seller here. You don't read, you deserve to be taken to the cleaners.

Seriously? The seller never says the word reprint at all but says its the first appearance of BP a couple times. Is it really the first appearance of BP if its a reprint??? He is clearly trying to catch someone who doesnt know a lot about comics and just saw the movie and is searching for the first appearance. The word reprint would probably keep them from buying it. A good seller would have at the very least put that it was a reprint in the description. Personally, I would have put it in the title to avoid ANY confusion.

This seller is being deceptive and its not on the buyer at all to do research to know that BP first appearance wasn't really in 2006. I don't believe that any buyer should have to do more research outside of the auction just to simply avoid getting screwed over.

36 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Why the heck is ASM 795 Hulk cover bringing $40?!? I'm pretty sure I'm going to dig the Red Goblin character, but this is just Carnage bonding with Osborne and a 1:1 variant.

I think people are assuming that Carnage merging with Osborn is the root creation/precursor of Red Goblin. It's also the first time they've merged, two super villains merging is cool in itself.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Why the heck is ASM 795 Hulk cover bringing $40?!? I'm pretty sure I'm going to dig the Red Goblin character, but this is just Carnage bonding with Osborne and a 1:1 variant.

Comicbookpriceguide.com has ASM 795 as the 1st Red Goblin and a lot of people are taking it as gospel. Mind you , the people that are arguing that it's a first appearance will readily tell you that they have NOT actually read the issue.

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Its probably not a true 1:1. Most likely had to bump up from previous orders.

Bloodshot 1 heating up in 9.8. At least this copy is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263491479358?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI263491479358.N36.S2.R1.TR1

I sold 20 beautiful raw copies last week for $3 each but I may need to toss a few in a pile for cgc. I got 1 9.8 from my batch a year or so ago and it did not exactly fly off the shelf although I did sell it eventually (on here perhaps?).

39 minutes ago, Bird said:

Bloodshot 1 heating up in 9.8. At least this copy is

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263491479358?_trksid=p2380057.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI263491479358.N36.S2.R1.TR1

I sold 20 beautiful raw copies last week for $3 each but I may need to toss a few in a pile for cgc. I got 1 9.8 from my batch a year or so ago and it did not exactly fly off the shelf although I did sell it eventually (on here perhaps?).

That's crazy!

But you know that belongs here, ha:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/418051-modern-drek-thats-heating-up-on-ebay/?page=6

7 hours ago, kevhtx said:

Seriously? The seller never says the word reprint at all but says its the first appearance of BP a couple times. Is it really the first appearance of BP if its a reprint??? He is clearly trying to catch someone who doesnt know a lot about comics and just saw the movie and is searching for the first appearance. The word reprint would probably keep them from buying it. A good seller would have at the very least put that it was a reprint in the description. Personally, I would have put it in the title to avoid ANY confusion.

This seller is being deceptive and its not on the buyer at all to do research to know that BP first appearance wasn't really in 2006. I don't believe that any buyer should have to do more research outside of the auction just to simply avoid getting screwed over.

Yes, it is on the buyer to know the slightest :censored: thing about comics if they're spending that much on a single issue. If they don't have a clue, they should stick to paying cover price until they do.

What if they instead bought a CGC 4.5 Fantastic Four 52 that was listed for $10,000? They would be screwed over far worse in that case. But you couldn't blame deception, only complete ignorance.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes, it is on the buyer to know the slightest :censored: thing about comics if they're spending that much on a single issue. If they don't have a clue, they should stick to paying cover price until they do.

What if they instead bought a CGC 4.5 Fantastic Four 52 that was listed for $10,000? They would be screwed over far worse in that case. But you couldn't blame deception, only complete ignorance.

So, someone not knowing something about a subject gives license to a seller taking advantage? If thats the case, why would ebay even have it in their rules to include such info in the description. Even if "no returns" truly meant no returns in ebay world, I think there is no question or argument ebay would refund this due to reprint not being included in the description. The buyer easily has a case here and as others have pointed out, it looks like this has been returned before. Equating $125 with spending $10,000 is not comparable. The amount of research should definitely go up as the amount goes up, but thats more common sense than anything. It still doesn't give a seller license to screw someone over ethically by leaving out crucial information simply because they think the buyer should be the one to look that information up or just simply know it. If you look at other sellers for this book, you will see the word reprint in their listings.