• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2018 at 10:12 AM, the authority said:

CBSI Batgirl #23B Middleton variant sales

You have to love a cover priced variant that is in high demand for reasons other than being limited. Great long term pick and a very well done and informative article.

On 6/13/2018 at 10:25 AM, Mapleleafvann said:

Good article!  I agree with you---I think the long term outlook on this book is very bright.  

Batgirl #23 Middleton Variant CGC 9.8 $200

Wow, the ASM #800 Moebius Virgin covers were originally damaged when they came out at my LCS. The replacements came in yesterday. They were damaged even worse. His Diamond rep said they will try to replace them again, but couldn't promise that they had enough left. 

5 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Must be first to market.  Nothing really special about that cover, and definitely nothing special going on inside either.

That cover is special. I didn't get it at first. I love Middleton and while thats not one of my favorites of his, its on fire and the sales prove it. I bet that cover easily goes $175-$225 as 9.8 for a while if not going up to $250. 

I normally order Middleton B covers and I kicked myself for not ordering it. Then, I got my DCBS order in and had 2 in the box. I guess I did order 2 of them and forgot about it. :preach: Well, one was pristine and one has a small blemish on it (tiny black line on spine). It was NM, but I don't think it will get to 9.8. It looks like it might have been a printing issue. Not sure if its widespread or will even affect the grade. Ill try to get a picture of it.

Anyway, its a great cover and I wonder if Middleton's variant of Batman 50 will get any love because of the similarity? Doesnt seem to be sold out and the virgin is 1000 print run, but I had never heard of this place before (ssalesfish?). Tom King tweeted love for it...

BATMAN+50+JOSH+MIDDLETON.jpg

3 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Middleton is the artist du jour being hyped everywhere in the land of internet currently. Tread lightly.

I've been buying Middleton covers for almost 2 years. He has talent and has been underappreciated. There is no doubt about that. I think he is finally getting his due and some attention. Imo, his covers are better than some of the current "hot" cover artists that get most of the buzz. I think this could be a step for him.

52 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

I've been buying Middleton covers for almost 2 years. He has talent and has been underappreciated. There is no doubt about that. I think he is finally getting his due and some attention. Imo, his covers are better than some of the current "hot" cover artists that get most of the buzz. I think this could be a step for him.

I was thinking he was a flash in the pan. Then when I went to look for some of his past work and it turned out I had already picked up some of them because they were just good covers.

2 hours ago, kevhtx said:

All of these hot artists seemingly only get their due when their mentions are wallpapered on every comic spec site. Spec sites attached to retailers who commission variant covers from said artist with print runs that aren't to be discussed publicly. Fascinating. 

Middleton's Aquaman Jabberjaw #1 cover with the shark is awesome. 

His COMX stuff piqued my interest when they came out.  But the COMX books were so sparsely ordered that I missed a lot of it. 

Patrick

5 hours ago, kevhtx said:

That cover is special. I didn't get it at first. I love Middleton and while thats not one of my favorites of his, its on fire and the sales prove it. I bet that cover easily goes $175-$225 as 9.8 for a while if not going up to $250. 

I normally order Middleton B covers and I kicked myself for not ordering it. Then, I got my DCBS order in and had 2 in the box. I guess I did order 2 of them and forgot about it. :preach: Well, one was pristine and one has a small blemish on it (tiny black line on spine). It was NM, but I don't think it will get to 9.8. It looks like it might have been a printing issue. Not sure if its widespread or will even affect the grade. Ill try to get a picture of it.

Anyway, its a great cover and I wonder if Middleton's variant of Batman 50 will get any love because of the similarity? Doesnt seem to be sold out and the virgin is 1000 print run, but I had never heard of this place before (ssalesfish?). Tom King tweeted love for it...

BATMAN+50+JOSH+MIDDLETON.jpg

Ssssalefish is a local shop in Greensboro and Winston-Salem, NC. He does a lot of store variants, but mostly not with Marvel/DC. Great guy and you can trust they'll treat you right.

20 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

This the same guy that drew the NYX mini from years ago?  Is Middleton another one that only does covers and can't contribute to the meat and potatoes of the genre?  Getting tired of these types...

Are you also referencing Hughes' enormous contributions to the meat and potatoes of the Catwoman series?

9 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There's been some movement on Bloodshot (Acclaim series) 2 & 3 (first cameo and full appearance of Chainsaw) on rumors that Chainsaw will be in the Bloodshot movie.

Those two books have done well for me in the last 24 hours! 

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

All of these hot artists seemingly only get their due when their mentions are wallpapered on every comic spec site. Spec sites attached to retailers who commission variant covers from said artist with print runs that aren't to be discussed publicly. Fascinating. 

Your logic is flawed here because Middleton is not one of the cover artists who does a lot of store covers.

29 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Your logic is flawed here because Middleton is not one of the cover artists who does a lot of store covers.

Your logic is flawed in that you believe what the artist has done in the past is indicative of what he will do in the future. He will be approached by the end of the year to do one of those boutique virgin variant sets if he hasn't already. Would you like to put money on it? You understand that they have to round up all the cattle before they spend money on the feed, yes? 

6 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Your logic is flawed in that you believe what the artist has done in the past is indicative of what he will do in the future. He will be approached by the end of the year to do one of those boutique virgin variant sets if he hasn't already. Would you like to put money on it? You understand that they have to round up all the cattle before they spend money on the feed, yes? 

But, he has already done those sets occasionally. I don't believe there is any evidence though he is going to start doing a ton of these sets like you are saying (and especially for the sites that push these sets the most like you are saying).

If anything, I could see him getting in the artist exclusive game, but I don't count that against any artist at this point. That's not the same thing imo. I think many artists will start following that model soon.

You may not know his personality either, just ask some of the facilitators what its like to catch him. He is flaky (not Alex Ross flaky, but doesn't do conventions often and cancels a lot when he schedules them).

I think you are generalizing these artists and put them all in a bucket that if they get a cover or two that is successful that they are going to instantly start banking on exclusive store sets.

10 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

This the same guy that drew the NYX mini from years ago?  Is Middleton another one that only does covers and can't contribute to the meat and potatoes of the genre?  Getting tired of these types...

Yes, he did NYX. Dell 'Otto, Hughes, Campbell, Mattina, even Skottie Young have done interiors in their past. Becoming almost strictly a cover artist means you have been recognized as bringing unique talent to comics. With that, I'm sure their prices increase. Although, I guess they could keep drawing interiors for a fraction of the price. That makes sense, right?