• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Donny Cates is writing a Carnage book that he said will have ramifications for years to come. Apparently it's tied into this book.

WRONG. Here's what Cates said:

"When I was a little kid, my mom used to drop me off at the YMCA to be babysat while she was at work,” Cates tells ComicBook.com. “So naturally I would just sneak away down to the comic book store across the street. The store was called JT's comics in Garland, Texas, and it was there I first met Venom. And it was ALSO there that I read the scariest comic book I'd ever read. It was called Carnage: Mind Bomb (written by Warren Ellis with art by the incomparable Kyle Hotz!) and boy, oh boy, if you haven't read it, make sure you get thee to a comic book store and check it out. But read it with the lights on, because it will mess you up, man. It is brutal. And insane. And brilliant. It was there that the character of Carnage bloomed for me as a fan. He's been my favorite bad guy ever since, and to be able to write him is such a huge treat."

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/15/web-of-venom-carnage-born/

Mind Bomb has NO significance, spec-wise. People buying it up for ridiculous prices are only hurting themselves.

Edited by ComicCollectorMatt

1 minute ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

"When I was a little kid, my mom used to drop me off at the YMCA to be babysat while she was at work,” Cates tells ComicBook.com. “So naturally I would just sneak away down to the comic book store across the street. The store was called JT's comics in Garland, Texas, and it was there I first met Venom. And it was ALSO there that I read the scariest comic book I'd ever read. It was called Carnage: Mind Bomb (written by Warren Ellis with art by the incomparable Kyle Hotz!) and boy, oh boy, if you haven't read it, make sure you get thee to a comic book store and check it out. But read it with the lights on, because it will mess you up, man. It is brutal. And insane. And brilliant. It was there that the character of Carnage bloomed for me as a fan. He's been my favorite bad guy ever since, and to be able to write him is such a huge treat."

Mind Bomb has NO significance, spec-wise. People buying it up for ridiculous prices are only hurting themselves.

Here’s a look at the very cool Kyle Hotz original art for that issue’s cover:

6D0A0913-325D-4ADD-88D2-351E1D9799F2.jpeg

8 hours ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

It may be that people are buying it because they want to own it. There’s this hobby called “comic COLLECTING.”

13 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If Cates, as some people have pointed out, turns books to gold, then I'd highly recommend grabbing a copy of his Image book Atomahawk, and the limited red foil convention exclusive if you're confident in his future, and the error foil-less con exclusive if you can manage to find one. Heard him talk about it at NYCC last year and it sounded wild.

These aren't the kind of books that are getting hot though. How's Babyteeth doing?

1 hour ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

If people cared about this book, they had 20 years to buy it. Right now, its all a "pump and dump"

That could be said about any back issue that increases in value.

If people cared about Hulk 181 in 9.8 they could have bought it 5 years ago for less than half what it sells for now.

One thing ive noticed is a trend on here because people are selling books and alot of people on here care more about profit  most the time they boast random books are selling hot or are rare and just trying to sell what they got so sometimes the inflation makes no sense yet they keep pushing it

14 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

That could be said about any back issue that increases in value.

If people cared about Hulk 181 in 9.8 they could have bought it 5 years ago for less than half what it sells for now.

Why would you buy a 9.8 when you can find one raw (if you know what to look for) and submit it to cgc for far less ?

22 minutes ago, JcomicJ said:

One thing ive noticed is a trend on here because people are selling books and alot of people on here care more about profit  most the time they boast random books are selling hot or are rare and just trying to sell what they got so sometimes the inflation makes no sense yet they keep pushing it

There are very few hot books posted on here.

21 minutes ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Why would you buy a 9.8 when you can find one raw (if you know what to look for) and submit it to cgc for far less ?

You aren't going to find a raw Hulk 181 in 9.8 for a reasonable price. Then you are also taking a chance on submitting that it comes back a 9.8. At the beginning of the year a 9.6 was around $8k. So you are taking a huge chance on buying a raw for $8k and it coming back a 9.6.

Ever graded a book before?

Edited by ygogolak

54 minutes ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

No one who owns a raw Hulk #181 9.8 is going to sell it raw.

Why would you buy a Van Gogh painting from an auction when you can just get one at a garage sale? :kidaround:

Edited by valiantman

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No one who owns a raw Hulk #181 9.8 is going to sell it raw.

Why would you buy a Van Gogh painting from an auction when you can just get one at a garage sale? :kidaround:

Not everyone knows how to grade a comic or wants to submit a book to get graded

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

There are very few hot books posted on here.

You aren't going to find a raw Hulk 181 in 9.8 for a reasonable price. Then you are also taking a chance on submitting that it comes back a 9.8. At the beginning of the year a 9.6 was around $8k. So you are taking a huge chance on buying a raw for $8k and it coming back a 9.6.

Ever graded a book before?

If you know where to look, you can find reasonable prices.

And yes, I know how to grade.

19 minutes ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Not everyone knows how to grade a comic or wants to submit a book to get graded

Who do you think owns a Hulk #181 in a legitimate raw 9.8 condition who wants to sell it raw, just to give away $25,000?  You should take their house while you're at it.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Who do you think owns a Hulk #181 in a legitimate raw 9.8 condition who wants to sell it raw, just to give away $25,000?  You should take their house while you're at it.

What do you mean? You can find them at reasonable prices if you know where to look.

:roflmao:

Just now, ygogolak said:
7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

What do you mean? You can find them at reasonable prices if you know where to look.

:roflmao:

That's true, you just need a Delorean and some plutonium.

1 hour ago, JcomicJ said:

That's a very poor statement. If anything this board filters out alot bs. Had u said it about facebook or Google groups I would agree. If u can support the book with data then it doesn't matter if u have a copy. Don't confuse sales with speculation.

15 hours ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

I qualified my statement with "apparently" because I saw people here stating that it ties in. People can do their own research if they want to verify that.