• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

WRONG. Here's what Cates said:

"When I was a little kid, my mom used to drop me off at the YMCA to be babysat while she was at work,” Cates tells ComicBook.com. “So naturally I would just sneak away down to the comic book store across the street. The store was called JT's comics in Garland, Texas, and it was there I first met Venom. And it was ALSO there that I read the scariest comic book I'd ever read. It was called Carnage: Mind Bomb (written by Warren Ellis with art by the incomparable Kyle Hotz!) and boy, oh boy, if you haven't read it, make sure you get thee to a comic book store and check it out. But read it with the lights on, because it will mess you up, man. It is brutal. And insane. And brilliant. It was there that the character of Carnage bloomed for me as a fan. He's been my favorite bad guy ever since, and to be able to write him is such a huge treat."

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/08/15/web-of-venom-carnage-born/

Mind Bomb has NO significance, spec-wise. People buying it up for ridiculous prices are only hurting themselves.

I've been out of the comic spec market for a couple years, but have always found the spec rumor mill to be like the children's telephone game.  The furter you stray fro the source the more outlandish the story gets.  Since I've been reading comics again (about a month), I can say with confidence that Cates is a treasure and I'll follow his tips on what to read when he gives them.  

3 hours ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

Not everyone knows how to grade a comic or wants to submit a book to get graded

Agreed, But a 9.8 Raw is not a 9.8 ever it is a NM Raw copy.  If you have NM Raw Copy of Hulk 181, found in the wild at Cost, i will call BS and only the guy who found those also found 2  Action 1 from the Barn last month.  

5 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Agreed, But a 9.8 Raw is not a 9.8 ever it is a NM Raw copy.  If you have NM Raw Copy of Hulk 181, found in the wild at Cost, i will call BS and only the guy who found those also found 2  Action 1 from the Barn last month.  

That's total BS. :p

14 hours ago, ComicCollectorMatt said:

If people cared about this book, they had 20 years to buy it. Right now, its all a "pump and dump"

It’s almost as if they hadn’t heard of it or had reason to think it was special until a writer they enjoy flagged it and that piqued their interest in reading and owning it.

9 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

I've been out of the comic spec market for a couple years, but have always found the spec rumor mill to be like the children's telephone game.  The furter you stray fro the source the more outlandish the story gets.  Since I've been reading comics again (about a month), I can say with confidence that Cates is a treasure and I'll follow his tips on what to read when he gives them.  

Though I typically agree and I like both Cates and Ellis, I thought this was one of Ellis' weaker pieces of work. 

It's true, this book is really only hot due to speculation/timing.  It went for years and years with little to no care. 

On the flip side, Cates may make what appears to be a temporary speculation into a longer term desirable book. 

Patrick

18 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Though I typically agree and I like both Cates and Ellis, I thought this was one of Ellis' weaker pieces of work. 

It's true, this book is really only hot due to speculation/timing.  It went for years and years with little to no care. 

On the flip side, Cates may make what appears to be a temporary speculation into a longer term desirable book. 

Patrick

Actually, the Carnage Mind Bomb one-shot from 1996 has been selling for around $20 for years. Carnage It's A Wonderful Life, which came out later in 1996, has also been selling for upwards of $10 for years. They are very oddball books because they were very mature for a Marvel comic featuring a Spider-Man villain, but that was a time of transition for Marvel and they were trying different stuff so we got these two Carnage issues. Mind Bomb has gone up quite a bit. But, it's one of those 1990s comics that didn't have a big print run and they aren't that easy to find, so, it was due to go up, in my opinion. Cates made it a must-find comic for his fans and it exploded. I went looking for a copy in a bunch of comic shops down south this week and came up empty. Matter of fact, one shop clerk in Myrtle Beach said he had a copy at home and I asked if he'd sell it and he wouldn't even listen to an offer on it. I have looked for these for years because it's always a strong seller. I think I've had 10-12 copies over the years and all of them were found in shops where 1990s books had been stockpiled and shoved to the back room because everyone considered that stuff to be garbage. Now, I'm sure a lot of those people who said 1990s books were garbage are scouring those 1990s long boxes to see if they can find one.

2 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

Actually, the Carnage Mind Bomb one-shot from 1996 has been selling for around $20 for years. Carnage It's A Wonderful Life, which came out later in 1996, has also been selling for upwards of $10 for years. They are very oddball books because they were very mature for a Marvel comic featuring a Spider-Man villain, but that was a time of transition for Marvel and they were trying different stuff so we got these two Carnage issues. Mind Bomb has gone up quite a bit. But, it's one of those 1990s comics that didn't have a big print run and they aren't that easy to find, so, it was due to go up, in my opinion. Cates made it a must-find comic for his fans and it exploded. I went looking for a copy in a bunch of comic shops down south this week and came up empty. Matter of fact, one shop clerk in Myrtle Beach said he had a copy at home and I asked if he'd sell it and he wouldn't even listen to an offer on it. I have looked for these for years because it's always a strong seller. I think I've had 10-12 copies over the years and all of them were found in shops where 1990s books had been stockpiled and shoved to the back room because everyone considered that stuff to be garbage. Now, I'm sure a lot of those people who said 1990s books were garbage are scouring those 1990s long boxes to see if they can find one.

yep

15 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

That's why I didn't understand people saying they found them in $1 boxes. Even Overstreet has to be updated by now.

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

That's why I didn't understand people saying they found them in $1 boxes. Even Overstreet has to be updated by now.

I found mine in a $1 bin about a year or two ago.  That and the It's a Wonderful Life book.  I had no knowledge of them before I found them, and just grabbed them because they looked like pretty cool issues that were not very heavily printed obviously.

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

You never know. The OPG has been known to be a decade(+) behind on some books, especially anything post-1980. I've bought a few of the Carnage books for $1 or so and more for $2-3.

13 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You never know. The OPG has been known to be a decade(+) behind on some books, especially anything post-1980. I've bought a few of the Carnage books for $1 or so and more for $2-3.

Until recently and just right before Cates made Carnage Mind Bomb a hot book, I hadn't paid more than $1 for a copy and, the last copy I bought, which was bought before the hype started, only cost me $5. I was buying them because Lone Star Comics was paying $17 a piece for NM copies. I thought I was making a killing on them. Now, it seems I was giving them away. But, the It's A Wonderful Life one-shot is now being bought by Lone Star for $22 a NM copy, while Mind Bomb is still being bought for $17, which surprises me. But, I would have to think there are fewer copies of It's A Wonderful Life than there are of Mind Bomb. I found cover-price copies of Cates' Venom 1-5 (#4 was the toughest to find) all when they came out. Those, along with Rune Vs. Venom and the two Carnage issues will give me a little extra spending cash this month. :)

16 hours ago, gradejunky said:

I found mine in a $1 bin about a year or two ago.  That and the It's a Wonderful Life book.  I had no knowledge of them before I found them, and just grabbed them because they looked like pretty cool issues that were not very heavily printed obviously.

This was pretty much my story too. Found Mind Bomb in a dollar box and bought it because it was a Carnage book I’d never seen before (I was in grad school and away from collecting when it came out). I figured that a Carnage book that I remained this unaware of had to be worth buying for a buck, so I did. 

Eight or so years ago most every book that wasn’t a key was in the dollar box here. 

It was when I started somewhat collecting again. I think Spider man 666 was on the shelves. 

Im sure those Carnage books were in there then. 

I purchased my copies of both of the Carnage comic books, 25 copies of each according to my comic book log, from my main "dealers" from 1977 to, approximately, 2001: Westfield Comics, mail order, and Sunshine Comics (out of business I believe) and A & M Comics, the latter two located in Miami, FL, "off the shelf." I have always enjoyed the character very much so I would purchase "tons" of copies of most of the comic books "it" appeared in, and still do to some extent.

Ninety-five percent of the comic books that I purchased from Westfield Comics, Sunshine Comics, and A & M Comics have been graded 9.8 by CGC, with the remaining grading 9.4 and 9.6; I have always taken very detailed notes of the place of purchase, price that I paid, etc.; unfortunately, back then I did not record grades for off the newsstand comic books, but based on past WC, SC, and A & M C CGC grades received I'm hopeful.

The problem: approximately 90% of the comic books that I purchased from Westfield Comics, Sunshine Comics, and A & M Comics, including, of course, the Carnage comic books, are stored in an acid neutralizing and temperature controlled environment in my sister's house in Florida since I have far, far too many boxes to relocate to my home. The last time that I looked inside those boxes in any detail was over two decades ago. As I I  "filed" the comic books I did not log which long box contains which comic books as I thought that I would remember, I do not. I had previously remembered, for the most part, and still do to a very limited extent, the boxes, for example, containing my gold, "atomic," silver, and bronze ages Batman and Tecs. I started taking detailed storage notes sometime in 2000.

My "plan" is to grade and submit more of the "worthwhile" comic books to CGC when I retire. Of course, at that point the Carnage comic books, etc., may not be worth much.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:29 PM, Nico Esq said:

Woah... Nico is back. 

well, I cannot find a book that I sold. So if it is not in the box it should be in, I have to go through them all. What wonderful things I found, including Venom vs Rune (or Rune vs Venom, whatever it is) in excellent shape (or so it looks through the bag). So I have that going for me. Still no sign of the two signed comics I sold though. :sumo:

3 hours ago, Bird said:

well, I cannot find a book that I sold. So if it is not in the box it should be in, I have to go through them all. What wonderful things I found, including Venom vs Rune (or Rune vs Venom, whatever it is) in excellent shape (or so it looks through the bag). So I have that going for me. Still no sign of the two signed comics I sold though. :sumo:

Obviously, because they were signed, you put them in a "special" place so they wouldn't get lost or mixed in with the unsigned masses before they sold. So look there, problem solved!

(: