• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:

I still like #419 better here for "1st full". This is like Conan #23 and #24 to me...Red Sonja's "1st appearance". She shows up in a few panels and even names herself in #23. That's listed as "1st appearance" but #24 is the "1st full appearance", story centers around her, she's on the cover...and it certainly is the more desirable copy to the market. It'll be interesting to watch these two books once the trailer hits and the non-CGC geeks find out about this one.

At the end of the day this is a dollar bin book but I'm sure it'll take off for a short period of time. I love the 1st appearance debates...there is ZERO consistency in our hobby which makes it interesting.

conan-23---11.jpg

That has got to be the worse drawing of Red Sonja I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, 1p36DSA said:

love the debate and we can agree to disagree, conan 23 is the first full appearance, not even close with 24, all because someone labeled it wrong years ago doesn't mean it is right

That's just it...I don't believe it's mis-labeled at all...thus the inconsistency in the hobby.

When I think of the 1st full appearance of Red Sonja, the book that I'd want in my collection, I don't think of #23...it's #24. I don't think of ASM #299 when I'm searching for the "1st appearance" of Venom. When I want the 1st full appearance of Wolverine I don't think of Hulk #180 and certainly don't think of Foom #2. Cable...New Mutants #86? Nope. There are countless other examples. For my personal collection, when given the choice between a 1 or 2 panel appearance or a "full appearance", I want the 1st FULL appearance of the character, preferably with a cover appearance and a story dedicated to the new character. I think the market has agreed historically and that the CGC labels typically reflect that distinction.

589f155c9d5a4_ASM299VENOM.jpg.25199e4673

New+Mutants+%2386+-+Stryfe+&+Cable.png

r7XsVzP2xGSz7G41JRqd4vuRRCkqTOIoQqFiKzmP

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

That has got to be the worse drawing of Red Sonja I've ever seen.

You're saying that the creator of the character has the worst drawing ever? (Show a little RESPECT) :grin:

7 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

love the debate and we can agree to disagree, conan 23 is the first full appearance, not even close with 24, all because someone labeled it wrong years ago doesn't mean it is right

If that page posted above is the extent of Red Sonja's appearance in 23, it is not even :censored: close to a full appearance.

3 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

She shows up in close to 20 panels throughout the book so not even close to debate

I'm basically a "cover" guy, with one exception.  If theres's a full-page splash appearance then count me in! :nyah:

6 hours ago, Lonzilla said:

Strange Tales 180, not Gamora's 1st full appearance, few panels, name not revealed. Strange Tales #181 1st full appearance, character name revealed.

I don’t get that one either, I lean towards 181. Does it matter if it is in the middle of the story versus last page? Similar to mantis in avengers 112, seems like a very minimum cameo to me but market says first appearance 

this is why I subscribe to digital services so I can actually read the books to make my own determinations before buying something 

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:04 AM, AGGIEZ said:

:fear:

677235.jpg

Instead of buying the higher print run of Bruce Banner's wedding in #418, spec on Hulk #419 the 1st full app. of Talos with Talos on the front cover. :eyeroll: Decent artwork by Gary Frank.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Instead of buying the higher print run of Bruce Banner's wedding in #418, spec on Hulk #419 the 1st full app. of Talos with Talos on the front cover. :eyeroll: Decent artwork by Gary Frank.

Go for the Hulk #419 newsstand and make a big deal out of the newsstand all over the speculation sites.  That's how you fake-it-til-you-make-it for the Most Valuable Modern Variants list. :grin: