• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yes. That’s the rationalization to explain the historical anomaly of why the second appearance of a character in a totally meaningless story is worth more than the first appearance. Especially in an era when nobody buys 181 in order to read it.  I’ll grant you that the cover to 181 is cool, though. 

Keep fighting the good fight.  Maybe one day that windmill will actually turn into a knight on a horse. (thumbsu

-J.

8 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:
On 9/14/2018 at 2:43 PM, 500Club said:

The market hasn't decided IH 180 isn't Wolverine's first appearance.   It has decided the most important and collectible issue of Wolverine's introduction is 181.

Yes. Because it was falsely labelled as his 1st appearance for years, became a classic Key, and now everyone is retroactively rationalizing why. Your explanation is one of several. It used to be “first Full vs First cameo” etc. Rules that were literally invented to explain the 180 vs 181 discrepancy.

Anyone who had collected for more than five minutes in the late seventies onward knew the structure of Wolverine’s introduction.  It isn’t some 21st century discovery that Wolverine shows up at the end of IH 180.  The market has had forever and a day to change its focus to 180, if it so chose.

14 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

It’s a shame how the boards have deteriorated in the last 5 years.  It’s painful to read the constant bickering about “the first true appearance of Wolverine” in “Moderns that are heating up on Ebay.”  ?‍♂️

Uh, how would you know? lol It appears that you think 2012 was the best ever year on these boards! :insane:

Edited by divad

12 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:
15 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Not True at all. Go and look at old Overstreet guides. 

Can someone please prove this one way or the other? I have heard both versions for years and never seen anyone actually show me that 180 was ever more valuable than 181.

Philip is right. It's not true at all. I just pulled my box of minty OS Guides. OSG #6 doesn't even break them out, and lists 160-200 at the same price - $.75 in NM. OSG #8 lists 181 higher than 180, and every subsequent guide does also.  Don't ask me for scans - It's not worth my time or the damage to the books. :grin:

Once again, Broke as a Joke takes leaps and bounds with the truth. lol

15 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:
On 9/14/2018 at 1:48 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Not sure what this "historical nonsense" is you're talking about, but Hulk 180 has always been regarded as first Wolverine.  Even 4-5 years after he made his debut 180 was priced higher than 181.  Over time people have went with the first full and cover appearance to spend their money on.  It hasn't looked back since.

Actually, I was going on memory of dealer advertising which was listing 180 at higher amounts back in 78, 79.  Mile High and others would run those ads in the comics.  Hard to find scans online, but I have seen them before.

Not surprised that Overstreet didn't have them broken up at that time as they were and still are slow with current market trends.  Goes without saying though.

44 minutes ago, divad said:

Philip is right. It's not true at all. I just pulled my box of minty OS Guides. OSG #6 doesn't even break them out, and lists 160-200 at the same price - $.75 in NM. OSG #8 lists 181 higher than 180, and every subsequent guide does also.  Don't ask me for scans - It's not worth my time or the damage to the books. :grin:

You seem to be missing something.

And he's still wrong that "(181) was falsely labelled as his 1st appearance for years."

10 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

It’s a shame how the boards have deteriorated in the last 5 years.  It’s painful to read the constant bickering about “the first true appearance of Wolverine” in “Moderns that are heating up on Ebay.”  ?‍♂️

Let them rant and rave - there is nothing "hot" right now so it gives people something to do.

12 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Yeah, that's because we haven't had your drama to distract us... :baiting:

13 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

I dunno, have been visiting here for 15 years and this thing pops up every couple of months, although yes, it is in the wrong forum

12 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

You seem to be missing something.

And he's still wrong that "(181) was falsely labelled as his 1st appearance for years."

Actually, only you and RMA are wrong on that point. Both OSG nos. 8 and 10 list IH #181 as the first appearance of Wolverine. :grin:

11 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Divad apparently doesn't have a complete collection of OPGs....

Snarky comments when confronted with facts? hm

Of course I don't, I only collect minty copies of the covers I like.  I'm not your librarian. :grin:

On 9/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Can someone please prove this one way or the other? I have heard both versions for years and never seen anyone actually show me that 180 was ever more valuable than 181.

It has never been listed in Overstreet as more valuable. :sumo: