• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

(2) Captain Marvel continues to rule the day.  All of the leaked characters' keys continue to do well.  Avengers 346 (Starforce) appears to be doing better than  Hulk 418 / 419 (Talos the Tamed).  There is obviously some interest in Inhumand 11, Quasar 32 (Korath); Ms. Marvel 9 (Deathbird); Quasar 9 (Captain Atlas); Ultimus (Wonder Man 7); and Cap Vol. 3, 8 (Bron Char), but most of the buzz at the con was around Amazing Spider-Man Annual 16 (Monica Rambeau).  Of course all iterations of Carol Danvers continue to perform well with Ms. Marvel 1 and Avenging Spider-Man 9 leading the way.  I remain shocked with the performance of Captain Marvel 17 2nd print (Kamala Khan) which continues strong sales (a 9.8 just sold for $1,277.  I don't believe that Kamala Khan is necessarily where I will invest, but I respect the price tag its demanding. 

The post-2013 "first appearance market" never ceases to amaze me. See HERE. If you want a conspiracy, here's one you should address.

(3) It was Batman Day so I may have Batman on the brain, but people were buying and selling Bat books.  1st appearance of Talia al Ghul was sought after as an undervalued key.  There were no original Detective 880s to be found.  Detective 871 (2nd Print) - is increasing popular and increasingly difficult to find (I'm on the verge of posting about it in the WTB section as I no longer have a personal copy).  In light of the variant reprint of 880, it appears that some collectors are moving towards 871 and that the red cover on the 2nd print is the book that few people are talking about publically, but many are trying to buy privately.  I suspect this book will perform as well as or better than its 1st print counter part for some period of time in the future.  Harley Quinn 1st appearance 2K in 9.8.  I saw one copy and the dealer wasn’t interested in moving from that price tag in light of the recent Ebay sale for that amount.  I was surprised that the White Knight comic was on people’s walls and selling.  I was fearful that I was the only person who loved this series.  That being said, I saw no slabbed copies and don’t see that book moving well on ebay.  I can’t tell if dealers are over invested, hope that others love the book as much as they do or what exactly was the impetus for displaying these books so prominently.

Bats rulze - He always has and always will. Anything related to Bats will go batty. That said, caveat emptor!

I talked to a couple dealers at a con in cinci this weekend and asked them "what happened to the CGC boards?"  They suggested that there is a conscious effort by big players in the comic retail market to keep certain information off the boards.  I certainly don’t know to what extent this true or false. 

What do they mean "what happened...". Are they referring to this thread?

Myself, along with the other regular contributors stopped giving out free candy. There are thousands that read this thread and there were about 5-10 that contributed something. I'm sure these dealers were the ones looking for the handouts as well.

Also, there are a lot more sources to get what's selling than there were 5 years ago. Scour the internet like the rest of us and you will find plenty of new books that sell. Carnage Mind Bomb, month old. Avengers 346 and Hulk 418-419 two weeks old. You have to be a lot quicker now than 5 years ago as well because there are plenty of undercutters now.

Edited by ygogolak

(4)   Donny Cates - This guy performs.  He legitimately has the midas touch (e.g., he champions Carnage Mind Bomb and the book blows up).  Cosmic Ghostrider stays hot with particular emphasis on Thanos 13 sans the lenticular cover.  Not sure why Redneck doesn’t sell anymore.  I really enjoy the title, but what he is doing with the marvel mashups is really popular right now.

Thrilled to see new creators get their due recognition.

(5) It's a venom nation and that includes Carnage and most of the rest of the symbiotes.  I'm excited about Tom Hardy's portrayal of character more than I am disappointed about the film straying from the cannon origin story.  I'm real interested in where the heat will go after the final credits role on opening weekend.  I anticipate big numbers at the box office and that should mean continued big numbers on ebay. Concomitantly, Venom 165, Edge of Spidergeddon 2, etc. continue to sell well.  There's a lot of heat around What If 105 (1998) and the Gwen Stacey, Silk and Miles Morales keys continue to do well.  I noticed a number of dealers pushing the 1st appearance of Spider-Woman (Marvel Spotlight 32 (1977) as an undervalued spec book.  I did not pull the trigger. 

Dealers are salivating! They absolutely LOVE this kind of movie hype. Unfortunately (as in real life) many will be left "holding the bag." :grin:

28 minutes ago, divad said:

Let's take these one  at a time: It's pretty far-fetched that a couple of dealers at the cinci con would know "what happened to the CGC boards?" "[A] conscious effort by big players in the comic retail market to keep certain information off the boards," smacks of a conspiracy theorist, and absolutely makes no sense. The truest statement above is:  "I certainly don’t know to what extent this true or false." :grin:

"Sounds like something someone would say who was trying to cover up a conspiracy." :roflmao: Bad joke.  But there's a reason that markets are regulated as collusion, price fixing, pump and dumps, etc. are real things.  Pretending that they aren't is naive (at best) or delusional.    

3 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

"Sounds like something someone would say who was trying to cover up a conspiracy." :roflmao: Bad joke.  But there's a reason that markets are regulated as collusion, price fixing, pump and dumps, etc. are real things.  Pretending that they aren't is naive (at best) or delusional.    

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist: Kaiser Soze.

28 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What do they mean "what happened...". Are they referring to this thread?

Myself, along with the other regular contributors stopped giving out free candy. There are thousands that read this thread and there were about 5-10 that contributed something. I'm sure these dealers were the ones looking for the handouts as well.

Also, there are a lot more sources to get what's selling than there were 5 years ago. Scour the internet like the rest of us and you will find plenty of new books that sell. Carnage Mind Bomb, month old. Avengers 346 and Hulk 418-419 two weeks old. You have to be a lot quicker now than 5 years ago as well because there are plenty of undercutters now.

This thread in particular but the modern sub category as well.  I've legitimately been off the boards for a couple of years, but there used to really active threads (Walking Dead, Saga, Chew, etc) with people talking about what books they enjoyed, what they were reading, what they were looking forward to reading, what they were buying, etc.  People posting pictures of new purchases, sales info, etc.  It was a genuinely a happier, more enthusiastic group.  I've been reading the threads again for a month or two and there are less posts, incessant debating and not a lot of real thoughtful discussion.  I think your response is the answer to my question.  People like yourself got tired of free riders and have stopped sharing or moved elsewhere.  The tragedy of the commons.  

40 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

This thread in particular but the modern sub category as well.  I've legitimately been off the boards for a couple of years, but there used to really active threads (Walking Dead, Saga, Chew, etc) with people talking about what books they enjoyed, what they were reading, what they were looking forward to reading, what they were buying, etc.  People posting pictures of new purchases, sales info, etc.  It was a genuinely a happier, more enthusiastic group.  I've been reading the threads again for a month or two and there are less posts, incessant debating and not a lot of real thoughtful discussion.  I think your response is the answer to my question.  People like yourself got tired of free riders and have stopped sharing or moved elsewhere.  The tragedy of the commons.  

Comic selling became a big business is the easiest answer.  There has always been the big sellers and big dealers on the boards and those guys seemed to give away free advice and market reports because I feel like they had there niche and very few people waded into that pool.  Now pretty much everyone with some knowledge and a computer can make themselves a good profit each year by buying and selling books.  It's become a livelihood or at least a second job for a bunch more people over the last decade and information is the new currency.

A bunch of people sitting around talking about the new comic books or covers they love wouldn't be able to pull in the number of people we see on the boards each day.  The business aspect of comics industry has made the CGC boards what it is today (good and bad).

Edited by 1Cool

I love reading market reports but the best market report is taking a look at the books that have sold today on E-Bay and see if there is a bunch of a particular book being sold in a day this is a good sign the book is hot.  Looking at all that sold data is time consuming and boring but unless you have a huge store and can see what books are being grabbed from your store you really have no better indication of the current E-Bay market then just reviewing recent sold prices.

6 hours ago, Tnexus said:

Captain Marvel #1 Leinil Francis Yu Variant. It's now reached $300 in 9.8 form. This was a $40-$50 raw book as early as two months ago. I definitely think this one has longterm legs.

Perhaps, but who is that exactly (aside from a sex-bomb)? 

Captain-Marvel-1-CGC-98-2014-8th-Series.jpg

14 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Regardless, I would like to discuss what people are buying and what people are selling and why in an intelligent way.  So as not to contribute to the downward spiral of bickering and hopeless sarcasm and in an effort to be the change I want to see in the boards

Nico, you might try just putting everyone whose contribution you don't like on ignore. It works really well - especially on the new boards. Just imagine, you could go months without having to read an RMA post . . . lol  

It's also why I haven't heard from pirate in YEARS! :acclaim:

Edited by divad

23 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

I talked to a couple dealers at a con in cinci this weekend and asked them "what happened to the CGC boards?"  They suggested that there is a conscious effort by big players in the comic retail market to keep certain information off the boards.  I certainly don’t know to what extent this true or false.  

Regardless, I would like to discuss what people are buying and what people are selling and why in an intelligent way.  So as not to contribute to the downward spiral of bickering and hopeless sarcasm and in an effort to be the change I want to see in the boards - these are some observations off the top of my head after spending the weekend at a convention (please forgive me for using CGC's definition of modern 1975-present for purposes of this post, but it seems to make more sense to do that):

(1) the reddit rumor mill is pumping up Captain Britain / Black Knight keys; with specific emphasis on Marvel Team Up 65.  It sounds too good to be true, and I'm not buying.  I hope the movie gets made and it’s amazing.   

(2) Captain Marvel continues to rule the day.  All of the leaked characters' keys continue to do well.  Avengers 346 (Starforce) appears to be doing better than  Hulk 418 / 419 (Talos the Tamed).  There is obviously some interest in Inhumand 11, Quasar 32 (Korath); Ms. Marvel 9 (Deathbird); Quasar 9 (Captain Atlas); Ultimus (Wonder Man 7); and Cap Vol. 3, 8 (Bron Char), but most of the buzz at the con was around Amazing Spider-Man Annual 16 (Monica Rambeau).  Of course all iterations of Carol Danvers continue to perform well with Ms. Marvel 1 and Avenging Spider-Man 9 leading the way.  I remain shocked with the performance of Captain Marvel 17 2nd print (Kamala Khan) which continues strong sales (a 9.8 just sold for $1,277.  I don't believe that Kamala Khan is necessarily where I will invest, but I respect the price tag its demanding.   

(3) It was Batman Day so I may have Batman on the brain, but people were buying and selling Bat books.  1st appearance of Talia al Ghul was sought after as an undervalued key.  There were no original Detective 880s to be found.  Detective 871 (2nd Print) - is increasing popular and increasingly difficult to find (I'm on the verge of posting about it in the WTB section as I no longer have a personal copy).  In light of the variant reprint of 880, it appears that some collectors are moving towards 871 and that the red cover on the 2nd print is the book that few people are talking about publically, but many are trying to buy privately.  I suspect this book will perform as well as or better than its 1st print counter part for some period of time in the future.  Harley Quinn 1st appearance 2K in 9.8.  I saw one copy and the dealer wasn’t interested in moving from that price tag in light of the recent Ebay sale for that amount.  I was surprised that the White Knight comic was on people’s walls and selling.  I was fearful that I was the only person who loved this series.  That being said, I saw no slabbed copies and don’t see that book moving well on ebay.  I can’t tell if dealers are over invested, hope that others love the book as much as they do or what exactly was the impetus for displaying these books so prominently.   

(4)   Donny Cates - This guy performs.  He legitimately has the midas touch (e.g., he champions Carnage Mind Bomb and the book blows up).  Cosmic Ghostrider stays hot with particular emphasis on Thanos 13 sans the lenticular cover.  Not sure why Redneck doesn’t sell anymore.  I really enjoy the title, but what he is doing with the marvel mashups is really popular right now.  

(5) It's a venom nation and that includes Carnage and most of the rest of the symbiotes.  I'm excited about Tom Hardy's portrayal of character more than I am disappointed about the film straying from the cannon origin story.  I'm real interested in where the heat will go after the final credits role on opening weekend.  I anticipate big numbers at the box office and that should mean continued big numbers on ebay. Concomitantly, Venom 165, Edge of Spidergeddon 2, etc. continue to sell well.  There's a lot of heat around What If 105 (1998) and the Gwen Stacey, Silk and Miles Morales keys continue to do well.  I noticed a number of dealers pushing the 1st appearance of Spider-Woman (Marvel Spotlight 32 (1977) as an undervalued spec book.  I did not pull the trigger.   
-- 

It is an increasingly interesting market for me.  It's hard for me to reconcile why properties like Legion (who has a good TV show even if it has little do with his comic character) and comics like Umbrella Academy (which is coming to netflix) see little to no heat, but books like Captain Britain take off because of a reddit rumor.  

Good to see you posting again Nico. (thumbsu

20 hours ago, 500Club said:

This.

The hobby arose on the back of reading.  Kids wanted to read issues they missed, and wanted to read issues about characters they liked.  That's what drove desirability, and thus value.

That’s not driving the value of IH 181 now, though. The “reading” component of the hobby, such as it was, is baked into modern values. It’s valuable, because it’s been valuable. Nobody needs to buy the book to read it anymore, and everything gets slabbed. 

There’s no real objective reason why 181 should be so much more valuable than 180 (“story” isn’t a sufficient explanation in this case. This isn’t the Death of Jean Gray, etc) other than it’s been that way historically and a lot of people in the hobby have a vested interest in that continuing. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

19 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

The titles you mentioned are Image books, and when the pump and dump crowd started losing $$$ and left the threads they died. If you go back and read the threads, most of the posts were from people that had speculated on the books and were talking them up here on the boards and elsewhere in an attempt to cash in. Remember Bedlam, Nailbiter, Black Acre, Sheltered, etc.? In those threads, the number of comments from the top posters about how much they liked the book was directly correlated to the number of copies of #1 they were sitting on.

14 minutes ago, kimik said:

The titles you mentioned are Image books, and when the pump and dump crowd started losing $$$ and left the threads they died. If you go back and read the threads, most of the posts were from people that had speculated on the books and were talking them up here on the boards and elsewhere in an attempt to cash in. Remember Bedlam, Nailbiter, Black Acre, Sheltered, etc.? In those threads, the number of comments from the top posters about how much they liked the book was directly correlated to the number of copies of #1 they were sitting on.

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Um, Chew ended, TWD has been losing interest for about a year and Saga is on a year long break. Saga however is still a favorite story among fans and #1 is still holding strong on value as is the RRP and TWD #1 is still holding as well.

Edited by ygogolak

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Um, Chew ended, TWD has been losing interest for about a year and Saga is on a year long break. Saga however is still a favorite story among fans and #1 is still holding strong on value as is the RRP.

Early Chew and early Walking Dead are some of my all time favorite comics.  I stopped reading the Walking Dead shortly after issue 100.  It lost alot of its appeal for me which was in chaacter driven story telling.  For whatever reason, I stopped having a real emotional response to the title like I had when I first started reading it.  I am looking forward to catching up on Saga over the next year or so, and sad that I sold all my RRPs and individual issues.  I can't imagine a scenario where I would pay for another RRP at the price tag it demands today.  I'm interested in seeing whether the price tag on Saga will experience a substantial dip in the next year and to what extent AMC can get people excited about the Walking Dead again (e.g., killing characters, time hopping, etc.).  There was a lot of buzz about the Walking Dead day blackbags at my LCS yesterday (I stopped by after hitting the gym before going home) which I did not expect.