• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That’s not driving the value of IH 181 now, though. The “reading” component of the hobby, such as it was, is baked into modern values. It’s valuable, because it’s been valuable. Nobody needs to buy the book to read it anymore, and everything gets slabbed. 

There’s no real objective reason why 181 should be so much more valuable than 180 (“story” isn’t a sufficient explanation in this case. This isn’t the Death of Jean Gray, etc) other than it’s been that way historically and a lot of people in the hobby have a vested interest in that continuing. 

It's interesting, the debate about 'why this book and not that book?', especially with muddy introductions like Kamala Khan.   I think you're right, in that there's definitely a tendency that once the train has left the station, as far as anointing the key book, that's it.   As far as a current objective reason why 181 is worth so much more currently, @valiantman put it best:  he's on the cover.  That's a huge driver in this age of slab and cover collecting.

There's a lot of teeth gnashing in this thread about one book being recognized over another, and the market isn't exactly consistent, either.  I suspect in some cases, especially with new characters, that people may be 'talking their book'.  The question I have is, why the incessant debate?  You're the latest in a long list to challenge the 180/181 hierarchy.  Why? 

In golf, there's an expression: 'play it where it lies'.  At this point people should probably just accept the dictates of the market, or, if you really think the market has it wrong and will change, then, for God's sake, don't shout it to the high heavens, just keep quiet and load up on the book you feel is overlooked.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

The titles you mentioned are Image books, and when the pump and dump crowd started losing $$$ and left the threads they died. If you go back and read the threads, most of the posts were from people that had speculated on the books and were talking them up here on the boards and elsewhere in an attempt to cash in. Remember Bedlam, Nailbiter, Black Acre, Sheltered, etc.? In those threads, the number of comments from the top posters about how much they liked the book was directly correlated to the number of copies of #1 they were sitting on.

You forgot Todd, the Hypiest Kid, Four Hypesters Walk Into a Bank, Hypeheim and Hype Queens. :p

On 9/17/2018 at 11:43 AM, divad said:
On 9/16/2018 at 11:44 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Divad apparently doesn't have a complete collection of OPGs....

Snarky comments when confronted with facts? hm

Of course I don't, I only collect minty copies of the covers I like.  I'm not your librarian. :grin:

If that was as snarky as your comments ever got, I'd be thrilled. As others have pointed out, you are incorrect, and you presume without seeking clarification.

Here is the relevant quote from you:

OSG #8 lists 181 higher than 180, and every subsequent guide does also.

Here is the response from Lazyboy:

You seem to be missing something.

And he's still wrong that "(181) was falsely labelled as his 1st appearance for years."

Pointing out that PhillipB2k17's comment about 181 being "falsely labelled as his 1st appearance for years" is inaccurate.

My comment had to do with the error in your statement, quoted here, that "OSG (sic) #8 lists 181 higher than 180, and every subsequent guide does also." That is incorrect, as demonstrated by the OPG #11.

Shall the board now be treated to snarky comments from you when confronted with facts...?

On 9/17/2018 at 11:41 AM, divad said:
On 9/16/2018 at 10:51 PM, Lazyboy said:

You seem to be missing something.

And he's still wrong that "(181) was falsely labelled as his 1st appearance for years."

Actually, only you and RMA are wrong on that point. Both OSG nos. 8 and 10 list IH #181 as the first appearance of Wolverine. :grin:

You can't be wrong about a point you were not making.

On 9/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, divad said:
On 9/16/2018 at 9:26 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Can someone please prove this one way or the other? I have heard both versions for years and never seen anyone actually show me that 180 was ever more valuable than 181.

It has never been listed in Overstreet as more valuable. :sumo:

20180917_231302.thumb.jpg.e6f173297966cf

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

As to the state of the boards, especially in modern...there are a group of new(er) posters who are confrontational and who don't like being corrected. There's nothing wrong with confrontation...provided it's for a legitimate reason, and it's valid. Someone who makes a habit of negligently or purposely posting misinformation? Confrontation is the right choice. But there are a lot of people who get confrontational when they are the ones who are wrong, and worse, do so by impugning others' motives, without evidence.

For example...the accusations of "pumping and dumping" against people for merely discussing a particular book or topic, without any evidence whatsoever of the necessary "dumping" that is required to make that accusation. As another example: people with a vested interest in a particular book or books, and don't want to see anything naysaying their "investment", so they muddy the waters, making insulting personal comments, in an attempt to diminish the impact of what they perceive as "the negative opinions" of others.

That's divisive, and makes the boards a less pleasant place to be.

This is a Comic "I know more than you" version of twitter now

Now...as for moderns heating up...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Young-Avengers-1-CGC-9-8-1st-Kate-Bishop-Hulkling-Wiccan-Patriot-Iron-Lad-/183334420894?hash=item2aaf95419e%3Ag%3AqjwAAOSwBdRbUS4e&nma=true&si=GseEzKa0y59iFEUrdbdG00hKrJw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

After being hot a couple of years ago, but subsequently cooling off, this book has once again shown upward movement in the past couple of months.

You're welcome.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

17 minutes ago, 500Club said:
4 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

That’s not driving the value of IH 181 now, though. The “reading” component of the hobby, such as it was, is baked into modern values. It’s valuable, because it’s been valuable. Nobody needs to buy the book to read it anymore, and everything gets slabbed. 

There’s no real objective reason why 181 should be so much more valuable than 180 (“story” isn’t a sufficient explanation in this case. This isn’t the Death of Jean Gray, etc) other than it’s been that way historically and a lot of people in the hobby have a vested interest in that continuing. 

It's interesting, the debate about 'why this book and not that book?', especially with muddy introductions like Kamala Khan.   I think you're right, in that there's definitely a tendency that once the train has left the station, as far as anointing the key book, that's it.   As far as a current objective reason why 181 is worth so much more currently, @valiantman put it best:  he's on the cover.  That's a huge driver in this age of slab and cover collecting.

There's a lot of teeth gnashing in this thread about one book being recognized over another, and the market isn't exactly consistent, either.  I suspect in some cases, especially with new characters, that people may be 'talking their book'.  The question I have is, why the incessant debate?  You're the latest in a long list to challenge the 180/181 hierarchy.  Why? 

In golf, there's an expression: 'play it where it lies'.  At this point people should probably just accept the dictates of the market, or, if you really think the market has it wrong and will change, then, for God's sake, don't shout it to the high heavens, just keep quiet and load up on the book you feel is overlooked.

The objective reality is that, while first appearances are a significant factor that affects prices, they are only one factor on only the demand side of the equation.

That doesn't mean that certain interests can't try to influence demand one way or another. It also doesn't mean that full content information is available to buyers before purchase.

In Wolverine's case, it is very well known that he appears in only a single inconsequential panel in 180 that is essentially an ad (as virtually all last-panel-only appearances are) for 181, which repeats the scene at the beginning of the issue.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

The titles you mentioned are Image books, and when the pump and dump crowd started losing $$$ and left the threads they died. If you go back and read the threads, most of the posts were from people that had speculated on the books and were talking them up here on the boards and elsewhere in an attempt to cash in. Remember Bedlam, Nailbiter, Black Acre, Sheltered, etc.? In those threads, the number of comments from the top posters about how much they liked the book was directly correlated to the number of copies of #1 they were sitting on.

That seems pretty cynical. Thor 339 is still one of the best investment books out there...

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

You forgot Todd, the Hypiest Kid, Four Hypesters Walk Into a Bank, Hypeheim and Hype Queens. :p

Todd was awesome. Hard to discuss new things about a book that ended years ago after 5 issues. In fact, none of those series are currently being published that were mentioned.

58 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:

Good ole RMA. Still at it with new members. I still remember our debates. Those were the days.. :luhv:

Not sure which "new members" I'm supposed to be "at it" with, but...this is the same sort of commentary I was referring to.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

You've had them for 35 years, now...a little longer isn't going to hurt.

That's the verrrry long view "pump and dump" strategy. :D

No, only 18.my lcs bought some insane number when it came out, having missed on 337. I got what he had left 17 years later, still in paper wrappers, at 10 cents each.

Just now, the blob said:

No, only 18.my lcs bought some insane number when it came out, having missed on 337. I got what he had left 17 years later, still in paper wrappers, at 10 cents each.

You've only had them for 18 years...?

hm

Well, never mind then, that's practically new. 

:D