• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

hmm,  :idea: Crackajack Jackson would make a great villain against Peni Parker in the animated Peter Porker series.

All right folks, it starts here: the pump and dump on Crackajack Jackson has begun! Alert the media!

On 9/18/2018 at 9:14 AM, Nico Esq said:

I talked to a couple dealers at a con in cinci this weekend and asked them "what happened to the CGC boards?"  They suggested that there is a conscious effort by big players in the comic retail market to keep certain information off the boards.  I certainly don’t know to what extent this true or false.  

Regardless, I would like to discuss what people are buying and what people are selling and why in an intelligent way.  So as not to contribute to the downward spiral of bickering and hopeless sarcasm and in an effort to be the change I want to see in the boards - these are some observations off the top of my head after spending the weekend at a convention (please forgive me for using CGC's definition of modern 1975-present for purposes of this post, but it seems to make more sense to do that):

(1) the reddit rumor mill is pumping up Captain Britain / Black Knight keys; with specific emphasis on Marvel Team Up 65.  It sounds too good to be true, and I'm not buying.  I hope the movie gets made and it’s amazing.   

(2) Captain Marvel continues to rule the day.  All of the leaked characters' keys continue to do well.  Avengers 346 (Starforce) appears to be doing better than  Hulk 418 / 419 (Talos the Tamed).  There is obviously some interest in Inhumand 11, Quasar 32 (Korath); Ms. Marvel 9 (Deathbird); Quasar 9 (Captain Atlas); Ultimus (Wonder Man 7); and Cap Vol. 3, 8 (Bron Char), but most of the buzz at the con was around Amazing Spider-Man Annual 16 (Monica Rambeau).  Of course all iterations of Carol Danvers continue to perform well with Ms. Marvel 1 and Avenging Spider-Man 9 leading the way.  I remain shocked with the performance of Captain Marvel 17 2nd print (Kamala Khan) which continues strong sales (a 9.8 just sold for $1,277.  I don't believe that Kamala Khan is necessarily where I will invest, but I respect the price tag its demanding.   

(3) It was Batman Day so I may have Batman on the brain, but people were buying and selling Bat books.  1st appearance of Talia al Ghul was sought after as an undervalued key.  There were no original Detective 880s to be found.  Detective 871 (2nd Print) - is increasing popular and increasingly difficult to find (I'm on the verge of posting about it in the WTB section as I no longer have a personal copy).  In light of the variant reprint of 880, it appears that some collectors are moving towards 871 and that the red cover on the 2nd print is the book that few people are talking about publically, but many are trying to buy privately.  I suspect this book will perform as well as or better than its 1st print counter part for some period of time in the future.  Harley Quinn 1st appearance 2K in 9.8.  I saw one copy and the dealer wasn’t interested in moving from that price tag in light of the recent Ebay sale for that amount.  I was surprised that the White Knight comic was on people’s walls and selling.  I was fearful that I was the only person who loved this series.  That being said, I saw no slabbed copies and don’t see that book moving well on ebay.  I can’t tell if dealers are over invested, hope that others love the book as much as they do or what exactly was the impetus for displaying these books so prominently.   

(4)   Donny Cates - This guy performs.  He legitimately has the midas touch (e.g., he champions Carnage Mind Bomb and the book blows up).  Cosmic Ghostrider stays hot with particular emphasis on Thanos 13 sans the lenticular cover.  Not sure why Redneck doesn’t sell anymore.  I really enjoy the title, but what he is doing with the marvel mashups is really popular right now.  

(5) It's a venom nation and that includes Carnage and most of the rest of the symbiotes.  I'm excited about Tom Hardy's portrayal of character more than I am disappointed about the film straying from the cannon origin story.  I'm real interested in where the heat will go after the final credits role on opening weekend.  I anticipate big numbers at the box office and that should mean continued big numbers on ebay. Concomitantly, Venom 165, Edge of Spidergeddon 2, etc. continue to sell well.  There's a lot of heat around What If 105 (1998) and the Gwen Stacey, Silk and Miles Morales keys continue to do well.  I noticed a number of dealers pushing the 1st appearance of Spider-Woman (Marvel Spotlight 32 (1977) as an undervalued spec book.  I did not pull the trigger.   
-- 

It is an increasingly interesting market for me.  It's hard for me to reconcile why properties like Legion (who has a good TV show even if it has little do with his comic character) and comics like Umbrella Academy (which is coming to netflix) see little to no heat, but books like Captain Britain take off because of a reddit rumor.  

This is a good post.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:11 PM, 1Cool said:

I love reading market reports but the best market report is taking a look at the books that have sold today on E-Bay and see if there is a bunch of a particular book being sold in a day this is a good sign the book is hot.  Looking at all that sold data is time consuming and boring but unless you have a huge store and can see what books are being grabbed from your store you really have no better indication of the current E-Bay market then just reviewing recent sold prices.

I prefer to be proactive, rather than reactive, but that's just me.

5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The objective reality is that, while first appearances are a significant factor that affects prices, they are only one factor on only the demand side of the equation.

That doesn't mean that certain interests can't try to influence demand one way or another. It also doesn't mean that full content information is available to buyers before purchase.

In Wolverine's case, it is very well known that he appears in only a single inconsequential panel in 180 that is essentially an ad (as virtually all last-panel-only appearances are) for 181, which repeats the scene at the beginning of the issue.

Teaser and cliffhanger introductions are common in the medium but calling them "essentially an ad" while being firmly entrenched in the "ads and previews don't count" camp doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  

28 minutes ago, bababooey said:
5 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The objective reality is that, while first appearances are a significant factor that affects prices, they are only one factor on only the demand side of the equation.

That doesn't mean that certain interests can't try to influence demand one way or another. It also doesn't mean that full content information is available to buyers before purchase.

In Wolverine's case, it is very well known that he appears in only a single inconsequential panel in 180 that is essentially an ad (as virtually all last-panel-only appearances are) for 181, which repeats the scene at the beginning of the issue.

Teaser and cliffhanger introductions are common in the medium but calling them "essentially an ad" while being firmly entrenched in the "ads and previews don't count" camp doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  

And yet, it makes perfect sense, because the distinction is quite clear. Being essentially an ad...which it is...is not the same thing as BEING an ad...which it is not.

Ad.

The-Incredible-Hulk-180-Wolverine-Page.j

Essentially an ad (but not an ad.)

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not sure which "new members" I'm supposed to be "at it" with, but...this is the same sort of commentary I was referring to.

I wonder if you've ever welcomed a new member with open arms in your entire 50k book of posts you've written on this site? ??? *waits for snarky comeback with quotations* 

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:
7 hours ago, 500Club said:

You forgot Todd, the Hypiest Kid, Four Hypesters Walk Into a Bank, Hypeheim and Hype Queens. :p

Todd was awesome. Hard to discuss new things about a book that ended years ago after 5 issues. In fact, none of those series are currently being published that were mentioned.

Todd was great we even had a nice project going with Ken at the time until he abandoned the book. 

26 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:
6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not sure which "new members" I'm supposed to be "at it" with, but...this is the same sort of commentary I was referring to.

I wonder if you've ever welcomed a new member with open arms in your entire 50k book of posts you've written on this site? ??? *waits for snarky comeback with quotations* 

Your personal problem with me, and your personal comments thereof, have no business here. Your experience and perceptions are just that: your experience and perceptions. If you would like to discuss other people and what you imagine to be their flaws, there are literally thousands of other websites on which to do it. I would recommend Twitter or Facebook.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Your personal problem with me, and your personal comments thereof, have no business here. Your experience and perceptions are just that: your experience and perceptions. If you would like to discuss other people and what you imagine to be their flaws, there are literally thousands of other websites on which to do it. I would recommend Twitter or Facebook.

Thank you :foryou:

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

And yet, it makes perfect sense, because the distinction is quite clear. Being essentially an ad...which it is...is not the same thing as BEING an ad...which it is not.

Ad.

The-Incredible-Hulk-180-Wolverine-Page.j

Essentially an ad (but not an ad.)

You mean an expired ad. :D :baiting:

Saying something is "essentially" anything is first and foremost about similarity, likeness (essence of) and not always necessarily used for distinction or limitation.

Edited by bababooey

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Todd was awesome. Hard to discuss new things about a book that ended years ago after 5 issues. In fact, none of those series are currently being published that were mentioned.

They died as soon as the Image speculators left for the next title. That is basically why Image saw a spike in overall sales for a couple of years. I am glad that the creators were able to cash in at the start at least, even though the majority of titles were done before issue #10.........

9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Now...as for moderns heating up...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Young-Avengers-1-CGC-9-8-1st-Kate-Bishop-Hulkling-Wiccan-Patriot-Iron-Lad-/183334420894?hash=item2aaf95419e%3Ag%3AqjwAAOSwBdRbUS4e&nma=true&si=GseEzKa0y59iFEUrdbdG00hKrJw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

After being hot a couple of years ago, but subsequently cooling off, this book has once again shown upward movement in the past couple of months.

You're welcome.

Glad to see the book has some movement. 

I enjoy Kate Bishop and most of the YA team.

Patrick

10 minutes ago, kimik said:

They died as soon as the Image speculators left for the next title. That is basically why Image saw a spike in overall sales for a couple of years. I am glad that the creators were able to cash in at the start at least, even though the majority of titles were done before issue #10.........

Yup, and it’s now pretty clear that creators’ commitment to a title is a huge land mine if anyone is considering speculating.  So many independent books burn brightly at the start...