• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Another big week for TV/Film announcements!  It appears that the Darkness, Thief of Thieves, Nailbiter and Think Tank are all getting TV deals.  Apparently, Robert Kirkman’s Skybound Entertainment is working with Sony Television sa Skybound Galactic and they will develop television projects based on Skybound comic books as well as properties from other Image imprints, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Newsarama and others.  I am hopeful that Thief of Thieves and Think Tank make it to the finish line as I think both of these properties translate well to the small screen as serialized shows.  I look for there to be a lot of interest in the Comicspro Thief of Thieves 1 and the variant cover to Think Tank 1.  I suspect that Witchblade #10 is the book to grab for the Darkness (it's Darkness 0) and there is a DF variant, a gold variant and perhaps a very limited master edition (but someone with more knowledge than me is going to have to provide details there).  The big screen news is all Donnie Cates.  God Country is getting made into a major motion picture!  I suspect that the Image Blind Box variants (particularly that b/w sketch cover) will be the big books there.  

It's been a heck of a week for variant covers.  Last week everyone was going crazy about Deadpool GPK, Deathstroke's rogues gallery, and Wonder Woman's witching hour variants were apparently underordered by many shops.  This week it appears that no one underordered the Artgerm Catwoman cover which may be the most beautiful cover I've seen period.  Sales have also been strong on Supregirl (Artgerm), What If Spider-man, black costume, punisher, Red Hood (variant) and Suicide Squad (variant). 

The Venom AMC book has a going rate of $10.00 shipped from a ton of sellers on eBay.  Cursed comics cavalcade was selling for more than the hefty $9.99 cover price at one point, but I haven't looked at it in a minute.       Cates also announced the line up to his new Guardians of the Galaxy roster as Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, Nova, Ghost Rider, and Moondragon (who first appears as Madame MacEvil way back in Iron Man 54).  There's someone else too but I can't remember them off the top of my head.  There was also an unannounced Venom 7 variant that is selling for $20 or so that has Venom sticking his tongue out on the cover.  

I'm sure there's more stuff (e.g., speculation about Kraven's Last Hunt, alleged leaked set photos from Avengers, Batwoman, etc.), but I don't necessarily find any of that stuff too interesting.  Thoughts? 

Great summary.

Wish I got more copies of AMC book when I did now.
What If Spider-man I have trouble finding anywhere. 
Venom 4 seems to be moving again. 
Captain Marvel issues and Ms Marvel late issues are doing well.
Eternals keeps smoking along for me sold a whole set to different buyers the last 2 weeks.
DP 5 are easy sales
Uncanny X-Men 134 and 164 are easy sales especially in high grade
Multiple sales of ASM 344 and Huntress 1 1989
I continue to sell multiple Image 1 Newsstand copies in high grade.

3 hours ago, Bird said:

I got two 9.9s in one shipment, both Jock variants of All-Star Batman 1 (both sold now). I never got another. I have not subbed more than 200 books or so and 25 at a time is the most I have done. I get some bulk from the LCS and they never hit the shelves, he just takes his from mine and re-boxes them for me. The point is that I am a no one who only subs occasionally and there is no political benefit in giving me 9.9s that I can conceive.

Thats good to hear. :) 

1 hour ago, divad said:

It can't be that political, as I have gotten one (and I got no political swag! - especially with the Powers that be.) lol

Again, good to hear. Ive subbed so many books, I had gotten discouraged by it that so many came back 9.8, but none higher.

Thanks.

I just got a 9.9 Venom 1 so I’m going to put it side by side with my 9.8 and take some pics and share them here to spot the difference.

I’ve noticed on my Hulk 181 9.8, it’s perfect but there’s a slight little split or line just under the bottom staple.

Quite unbelievable as something as simple as that scores a 9.8, if it weren’t there, it would’ve been a 9.9???

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Sorry to drag this out too long, but the LCS with Batman damned will have a sale this Saturday only for the walking dead, the Batman will be marked down to $50. Is there a preferred cover? Or should I just steer clear?

Yeah, I'd go with what @Awax said, 100%. If you wanted to keep it for your personal collection, $50 may not be a bad price, but as a spec book that's waaaaay too much. I just can't see the prices holding over time. It's a cool book and a good read, but the hype driving this train is Batman's wiener. It's manufactured controversy, and I can't think of many instances where that lead to long term value. If you find one somewhere for cover price, or maybe even $15-$20, sure, I'd buy it. Anything beyond that looks iffy long-term.

I got lucky, I had it on my pull list, and since my shop is cool and doesn't play shenanigans with their customers, I got it and the Jim Lee variant at cover price. That's why they've been my comic shop for 30 years or so. If I have a book on my pull list and it suddenly pops over night, I don't have to worry that  they're going to yank it out of my folder, or try to charge me crazy money for it. Cover price is cover price. Bless 'em.

16 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Another big week for TV/Film announcements!  It appears that the Darkness, Thief of Thieves, Nailbiter and Think Tank are all getting TV deals.  Apparently, Robert Kirkman’s Skybound Entertainment is working with Sony Television sa Skybound Galactic and they will develop television projects based on Skybound comic books as well as properties from other Image imprints, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Newsarama and others.  I am hopeful that Thief of Thieves and Think Tank make it to the finish line as I think both of these properties translate well to the small screen as serialized shows.  I look for there to be a lot of interest in the Comicspro Thief of Thieves 1 and the variant cover to Think Tank 1.  I suspect that Witchblade #10 is the book to grab for the Darkness (it's Darkness 0) and there is a DF variant, a gold variant and perhaps a very limited master edition (but someone with more knowledge than me is going to have to provide details there).  The big screen news is all Donnie Cates.  God Country is getting made into a major motion picture!  I suspect that the Image Blind Box variants (particularly that b/w sketch cover) will be the big books there.  

It's been a heck of a week for variant covers.  Last week everyone was going crazy about Deadpool GPK, Deathstroke's rogues gallery, and Wonder Woman's witching hour variants were apparently underordered by many shops.  This week it appears that no one underordered the Artgerm Catwoman cover which may be the most beautiful cover I've seen period.  Sales have also been strong on Supregirl (Artgerm), What If Spider-man, black costume, punisher, Red Hood (variant) and Suicide Squad (variant). 

The Venom AMC book has a going rate of $10.00 shipped from a ton of sellers on eBay.  Cursed comics cavalcade was selling for more than the hefty $9.99 cover price at one point, but I haven't looked at it in a minute.       Cates also announced the line up to his new Guardians of the Galaxy roster as Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, Nova, Ghost Rider, and Moondragon (who first appears as Madame MacEvil way back in Iron Man 54).  There's someone else too but I can't remember them off the top of my head.  There was also an unannounced Venom 7 variant that is selling for $20 or so that has Venom sticking his tongue out on the cover.  

I'm sure there's more stuff (e.g., speculation about Kraven's Last Hunt, alleged leaked set photos from Avengers, Batwoman, etc.), but I don't necessarily find any of that stuff too interesting.  Thoughts? 

If Think Thank gets off the ground, that'd be awesome. Such a great read.

5 hours ago, Tazmaster83 said:

I’m hoping Manifest Destiny sees the time of day.  Still one of my favorite Skybound titles to read.  How that correlates to a tv or movie adaption may be difficult.

One of my favorite all time comics. And one of the few series I actually own in floppy (I'm not a "collector." I buy, read and sell most comics.)

It's amazing how I can find back issues of this series all over town under cover... Quite sad to see quality books linger, unloved in bins.

If they can adapt The Terror into a TV series, they can do the same with Manifest Destiny. All they need is the budget (and talent) for the creature effects.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

I don't think prices ever drop drastically on a "hot" book when it cools off. They drop, just not drastically. What happens is that the demand ceases at a certain point and collectors/spec'ers/what have you move on to the next hot item and then the cooled-off book stays trapped at a price it once was with absolutely no buyers. The only ones that would get it for a fraction of the price would be those bidding on that book at a .99 cent auction or a seller who's done holding on it for a long while and will let it go for a stupidly low best offer. But the BIN price will always stay the same. 

34 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I don't think prices ever drop drastically on a "hot" book when it cools off. They drop, just not drastically. What happens is that the demand ceases at a certain point and collectors/spec'ers/what have you move on to the next hot item and then the cooled-off book stays trapped at a price it once was with absolutely no buyers. The only ones that would get it for a fraction of the price would be those bidding on that book at a .99 cent auction or a seller who's done holding on it for a long while and will let it go for a stupidly low best offer. But the BIN price will always stay the same. 

Yup.  An example of this is ASM 797.  It's trapped at $10 around here.  There's nothing special about it, but it got scooped up in the Red Goblin spec frenzy, and an artificial lack of supply ensued.

The best hope, as you say, is that a book like this gets pitched into the 50% off bin, or is run as a true .99c starting auction.

10 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Yup.  An example of this is ASM 797.  It's trapped at $10 around here.  There's nothing special about it, but it got scooped up in the Red Goblin spec frenzy, and an artificial lack of supply ensued.

The best hope, as you say, is that a book like this gets pitched into the 50% off bin, or is run as a true .99c starting auction.

Yes. The funniest thing is that by the time the book cools off the buyers who get it as a spec THEN truly think they got it at a bargain at half the price or below, not knowing it wouldnt sell as a BIN even at THAT low price. Unless of course the book bounces back for movie hype or nostalgic reasons

That Damned Batman book stinks of false hype. Why would DC decide that it needs to be reprinted under a black label. Why create a black label?

In the 80s when comics were still being sold primarily to a younger audience, DC published many books with extreme adult graphic content without even a notation of "mature content" on their prestige line books. This was right around the time when Friendly Frank’s was busted and comics were going through a faze in demographic shift. Their excuse back then was "well kids wouldnt pay 2.95+ for a comic book anyways, so why label it as such?"

If they didnt see fit to recall such books then, why do it now?

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

That Damned Batman book stinks of false hype. Why would DC decide that it needs to be reprinted under a black label. Why create a black label?

In the 80s when comics were still being sold primarily to a younger audience, DC published many books with extreme adult graphic content without even a notation of "mature content" on their prestige line books. This was right around the time when Friendly Frank’s was busted and comics were going through a faze in demographic shift. Their excuse back then was "well kids wouldnt pay 2.95+ for a comic book anyways, so why label it as such?"

If they didnt see fit to recall such books then, why do it now?

"Black Label" is not a way of reprinting the book... It's a new DC Imprint, akin to something like "Vertigo" or even "Elseworlds".

The book is not being reprinted "under a black label" - the first print was issued under the Black Label logo and banner, and subsequent prints and issues will be as well.

On 10/11/2018 at 5:21 PM, F For Fake said:

"Black Label" is the name of the new adult oriented imprint from DC Comics, and "Damned" is the first comic issued under that imprint. 

Actually, I think it was the second... the Batman: White Knight Special Edition giveaway was printed under the Black Label, and I believe it came out a week or two earlier.

1 hour ago, Brock said:

"Black Label" is not a way of reprinting the book... It's a new DC Imprint, akin to something like "Vertigo" or even "Elseworlds".

The book is not being reprinted "under a black label" - the first print was issued under the Black Label logo and banner, and subsequent prints and issues will be as well.

Yes that's what I was saying exactly. I didn't actually think it would be printed in black ink label lol

As far as I know, the first title that was to be printed under the "Black Label" was Batman White Knight.  It's not cannon, but also not a mature theme.  Those covers were premium stock though...and for regular cover price.  

I think DC then transformed that into the "Black Label" imprint and wanted to go with the prestige format and mature theme on future releases.  Unfortunately, it appears that DC has flipped (or is it flopped) once again and wants to change things up again.  IE future printings of Batman Damned will be censored....no wait, there will be no second printings.....wait....let's hold off on #2 of the series as well. Ok...let's push back #3 too.  

Confusion, more confusion, poor commitment to a new launch, terrible communication, lack of strategic coherency, big changes for strange reasons....did I mention confusion?  Yep....and people wonder why their movie franchise smells like hot garbage.  

Edited by Mapleleafvann

29 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

As far as I know, the first title that was to be printed under the "Black Label" was Batman White Knight.  It's not cannon, but also not a mature theme.  Those covers were premium stock though...and for regular cover price.  

I think DC then transformed that into the "Black Label" imprint and wanted to go with the prestige format and mature theme on future releases.  Unfortunately, it appears that DC has flipped (or is it flopped) once again and wants to change things up again.  IE future printings of Batman Damned will be censored....no wait, there will be no second printings.....wait....let's hold off on #2 of the series as well. Ok...let's push back #3 too.  

Confusion, more confusion, poor commitment to a new launch, terrible communication, lack of strategic coherency, big changes for strange reasons....did I mention confusion?  Yep....and people wonder why their movie franchise smells like hot garbage.  

titans is garbage but hey DC has good books horrible movies and shows