• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, lonetree said:

For 2018, I have submitted 352 books.  Here are the grades I received:

CGC 9.9 = 4
CGC 9.8 = 270
CGC 9.6 = 61
CGC 9.4 = 11
CGC 9.2 = 5
CGC 8.5 = 1

that's a lot of books I do at most like 7 a year lol wish I could afford more but I got bills

44 minutes ago, lonetree said:

CGC 9.9 = 4
CGC 9.8 = 270
CGC 9.6 = 61
CGC 9.4 = 11
CGC 9.2 = 5
CGC 8.5 = 1

Tough to beat those numbers! (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Thanks, I found 2 copies at Terrific Con for $15 each...both came back 9.8  I didn't know what to price it at, a 9.4 went for $309 on GPA, So I figured a 9.8 was at least a grand, sold for $1200 4 hours after it was listed.  Buyer paid too.  

Great work! (thumbsu

10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Thanks, I found 2 copies at Terrific Con for $15 each...both came back 9.8  I didn't know what to price it at, a 9.4 went for $309 on GPA, So I figured a 9.8 was at least a grand, sold for $1200 4 hours after it was listed.  Buyer paid too.  

Fresh Prince shocked gif.gif

So how long has this been going on for

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Detective+Comics+%23880+virgin&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=13&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&_pgn=2

Will this become a key ala ASM300 chromium/Spiderman 1 platinum?

or is this will be forgotten tomorrow

On 10/17/2018 at 3:29 PM, lonetree said:

CGC 9.9 = 4
CGC 9.8 = 270
CGC 9.6 = 61
CGC 9.4 = 11
CGC 9.2 = 5
CGC 8.5 = 1

You're killing it...the day you looked over that 8.5, was that meth day? :shy:

1 minute ago, Bird said:

You're killing it...the day you looked over that 8.5, was that meth day? :shy:

Must have started the whiskey drinking early that day  (:

The people that submit 1,000's of books obviously get many more 9.9's and better chances at a 10.  I have never had a 10 in the 8 years of submitting books.

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Detective+Comics+%23880+virgin&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=13&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0&_pgn=2

It was $50+ from second party sellers when it came out. Looks like you can still get it for $60 on the bay. I think it might have been $25 at the show?

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

My humble opinion is that foil books are a fad.  I do think they are harder to get in higher grade as the foil covers seem more susceptible to creases.

59 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Its a hard comparison. Keep in mind for years the Chromium books didn't sell for a whole lot and then they just blew up.

This book was already well known and collectible.

I think its a perfect comparison. Both ASM300 & Spiderman 1 were known books that came out in the late 80/90. The chromium editions came out 10/12 years after they were well established/quite collectible. Tec880 seems to be selling for 50, and as @ygogolak mentioned, its close to what the retailer was asking for cover. 

Im not suggesting it would fetch 10 times the price in the future, that remains to be seen, mainly depending on demand for the book and future reproduction of said variant. 

But based on current demand and low print run of 1,000, I can see how it could get to those levels

19 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I think its a perfect comparison. Both ASM300 & Spiderman 1 were known books that came out in the late 80/90. The chromium editions came out 10/12 years after they were well established/quite collectible. Tec880 seems to be selling for 50, and as @ygogolak mentioned, its close to what the retailer was asking for cover. 

Im not suggesting it would fetch 10 times the price in the future, that remains to be seen, mainly depending on demand for the book and future reproduction of said variant. 

But based on current demand and low print run of 1,000, I can see how it could get to those levels

Problem is Fan Expo never said how many were printed. There were plenty to be had at $50 when it came out.

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I was just going by what I saw on the bay (which isnt saying much I know)

I wonder if DC authorized this at all 

I would assume DC authorized it. Fan Expo gets DC exclusives regularly. Rarely do they post an amount being sold.

21 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:
On 10/17/2018 at 2:15 PM, ygogolak said:

Titans is a TV show on the new DC Universe platform.

Yes, I get that...but the analogy is still valid...looks horrible. 

I like that they're all kids - I think it's promising from the trailer . . . but hey, wtf do I know?