• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, spreads said:

For the dumb masses, what's the deal on this UPC version - how rare we talkin'?

Not rare at all, relative to the others. It was included in the 20 packs of Zero Hour, and *may* have also been included in the Zero Hour boxed set.

4 minutes ago, spreads said:

For the dumb masses, what's the deal on this UPC version - how rare we talkin'?

I had a thread asking how rare they are and was told not terribly, but if you look for them on ebay, they are definitely vastly less numerous than the regular box, 10-20X rarer? And a secondary title like Legionnaires seems to be harder to find with the Zero hour logo than a first tier one like superman or batman.

Thanks.

So something worth keeping an eye on.....I've been dormant in this thread for awhile (I think I gave up around page 1000 :P), I might have to do a light skimming - as one of the execs at work always say 'don't need all the weedy details'. 

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I had a thread asking how rare they are and was told not terribly, but if you look for them on ebay, they are definitely vastly less numerous than the regular box, 10-20X rarer? And a secondary title like Legionnaires seems to be harder to find with the Zero hour logo than a first tier one like superman or batman.

The UPC logo variants weren't...generally...marketed according to their status as first or second tier characters. For the most part, the 20 packs contained the same mix of books, none more (or less) common than the other.  The exception would be the boxed versions, which wouldn't have contained as many.

So, while sure, the regular versions of books would have been produced according to status...Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and the like...the UPC variants usually were not. If they produced, say, 10,000 of these books, they probably would have produced 10,000 of ALL of them, not 10,000 Batman, but only 1,000 Legionnaires. In other words...you're likely to find a much more even distribution among these much rarer (as a whole) versions. Detective Comics #0 UPC variant is likely to be "as common" as Legionnaires, etc.

The UPC logo variants were specifically produced to reach a different audience than the average weekly comics buyer.

1 minute ago, spreads said:

Thanks.

So something worth keeping an eye on.....I've been dormant in this thread for awhile (I think I gave up around page 1000 :P), I might have to do a light skimming - as one of the execs at work always say 'don't need all the weedy details'. 

lol

That's a person who has never built anything in their life.

All the weedy details is what makes the world run correctly. ;)

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Not rare at all, relative to the others. It was included in the 20 packs of Zero Hour, and *may* have also been included in the Zero Hour boxed set.

They are in the 20 pack. The one I see on ebay is $189: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-DC-Comic-Pack-1994-Zero-Month/253933082250?hash=item3b1f97568a:g:TRgAAOSwCExbaV-Y:rk:1:pf:0

This price is out of thin air, sure, but I see no other sales or listings.

Not in the 8 pack.

Like I said, if you look on ebay you see many fewer of these than the regular version, particularly for secondary titles not in the 8 pack but found in the 20 pack. Like looking for Direct Market marvels from 1977 or whenever they started, less numerous, but not impossible or anything.