• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

Is there any reason why this book is that hot?? A ratio of 1:100 should be just $100 after a week not x7??? First appearance?? Major death?? First artist cover?? First “spider-wang”??? (DC done it why not Marvel)

im asking since I passed on this regular book last week.......

1 hour ago, combiner1 said:

Is there any reason why this book is that hot?? A ratio of 1:100 should be just $100 after a week not x7??? First appearance?? Major death?? First artist cover?? First “spider-wang”??? (DC done it why not Marvel)

"Spider-Wang" has already been done. People seem to forget that Marvel actually did it first. Check out the formerly "heating up on Ebay" series Spider-Man: Reign.  I'm surprised that mini doesn't get more attention

It's heating up because people are claiming its "the cover of the decade" and others are jumping on that bandwagon because of its look and 1:100 status.  IMO, it's a decent cover but nothing to rave about when there's been lots of great covers lately with a lot being better than this.

3 hours ago, combiner1 said:

It's simply pump and dump by a certain group. And the fact that everyone seems to be calling this book "rare" makes me rethink what the definition of rare is. lol.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually, the narrative that was being pushed by the usual suspects (and, oddly, even before the book was released) was that it was (going to be) super "rare".  Nevermind that it was available for pre-order weeks in advance and had plenty of them, or that it was going to be a number one issue, or that it would be the official re-naming of a character Marvel is really pushing, or that there were going to be multiple store variants also released to skew the ratio lower than normal than other legit 1:100's with no store variants- this one was going to be "rare". Really, really "rare".  That caused some initial high sales.  Then enter the shillers, a steady stream of  fake buy it nows to create the pre-ordained "buzz" and "voila!". Seasoned dealers and collectors saw this coming a mile away and know exactly what is happening and what will happen.  Now that Ebay has been flooded with dozens of copies over the last couple of days and squelched any talk of "rarity", maybe there will be an attempt to change the narrative to how great the cover is to rationalize all the fishy sales.  Haven't really seen that just yet though..

-J.

I do believe that that is the case with ALL variant covers that have no particular book significance nor "rarity" attributes (recalls or errors). It's always easy to say "that's a hot cover, so that's the reason why". But there are many many "hot" ratio covers that would never get remotely close to silly high prices. 

Its always hype. If it wasn't for hype, half the keys out there wouldn't be where they are.

28 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I do believe that that is the case with ALL variant covers that have no particular book significance nor "rarity" attributes (recalls or errors). It's always easy to say "that's a hot cover, so that's the reason why". But there are many many "hot" ratio covers that would never get remotely close to silly high prices. 

Its always hype. If it wasn't for hype, half the keys out there wouldn't be where they are.

TRUE

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

It's heating up because people are claiming its "the cover of the decade" and others are jumping on that bandwagon because of its look and 1:100 status.  IMO, it's a decent cover but nothing to rave about when there's been lots of great covers lately with a lot being better than this.

I packaged my Spider-man Reign #1 with Damned #1 when I sold the latter.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually, the narrative that was being pushed by the usual suspects (and, oddly, even before the book was released) was that it was (going to be) super "rare".  Nevermind that it was available for pre-order weeks in advance and had plenty of them, or that it was going to be a number one issue, or that it would be the official re-naming of a character Marvel is really pushing, or that there were going to be multiple store variants also released to skew the ratio lower than normal than other legit 1:100's with no store variants- this one was going to be "rare". Really, really "rare".  That caused some initial high sales.  Then enter the shillers, a steady stream of  fake buy it nows to create the pre-ordained "buzz" and "voila!". Seasoned dealers and collectors saw this coming a mile away and know exactly what is happening and what will happen.  Now that Ebay has been flooded with dozens of copies over the last couple of days and squelched any talk of "rarity", maybe there will be an attempt to change the narrative to how great the cover is to rationalize all the fishy sales.  Haven't really seen that just yet though..

-J.

Proof?

On 10/29/2018 at 7:42 AM, bababooey said:

His response about working in a comic store was in reference to your points about quantities.  Scroll up and read back if you can't remember what you were talking about. 2c

On 10/29/2018 at 9:28 AM, ygogolak said:

OP: "Cover is probably the best..."
SB: "That's hype, not fact."

Me: "That's opinion, not fact."

Still waiting for a response about how many store variants there are to skew the numbers.

:popcorn:

On 10/30/2018 at 9:42 AM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

On 10/30/2018 at 5:47 PM, ygogolak said:

Proof?

:popcorn::popcorn:

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

How about shill bidder r**a (25) running around shilling up just about every auction for the dozens of copies now available on ebay.  For starters...

-J.

How do you "bid up" a BIN? Which is what you claimed. Fake BIN pre-sales.

Rags #1 pre-AP version still hot. I'm selling another copy (lowest grade of the ones I had with a clear CBC on the spine) and it's at $360 with 3 days left to go. That's also the highest price so far other than the Lim variant.