• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, I like pie said:

I made a thread a couple months back but no one seemed interested. Life is Strange #1 hitting close to $20 on ebay. Midtown just sold out of regular cover.

I must have listened to you. I just checked my DCBS order and there’s two 1As I preordered.  Won’t get them for a few weeks, but they are coming.  Thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Awax said:

I must have listened to you. I just checked my DCBS order and there’s two 1As I preordered.  Won’t get them for a few weeks, but they are coming.  Thanks. 

I just posted to see if anyone was looking forward to it. With moderns, it could be back to cover in a few weeks:popcorn:

Went to my first show in awhile today. Smaller show, but here is what I saw being sold.

Black Hammer 1 were easy sales I saw 2 get bought in front of me.(Ive sold all my copies.)
Eternals raw books I saw 3 different series books get bought. I think everyone is either completing or
stocking up.. Slabs didn't sell when I was there,but they only had 9.0s.

Ms Marvel issues selling across the board. Carol Danvers Ms Marvel and her Capt Marvel series
I think some are finally realizing those late issues in the 40s are really tough to find.

Dark Avengers 1 was asked for a lot and I only saw one copy for sale. 

Every dealer had a ASM 300 and NM 98 or wanted to have those 2 books. I didn't see a sale.

I was happy to see books like Peter Porker, Monstross, and a lot of other Image books including
Spawn for sale and selling.. I greedily bought about 10 Spawn newsstands for $1-2 each myself.

$1 books were flying out . Heck I bought 20 or so myself. Guy next to me bought 30 and I 
was jealous as he got to the some that I wanted. A lot of great books to still be had. I think as a dealer
its almost an imperative to have maybe 5-10 $1 boxes to attract everyone.

While dealers have definitely got quicker at picking up on hot books there are still books
that fly under the radar and are undervalued. I saw several people leave with grail books
like early ASM issues that lead me to believe it was going to be a healthy show as all
that was observed in 2 hours of the show opening. One dealer told me in 2 hours he had
already made up his costs and was in the black for the rest of the day. That's a good sign.

I am also interested on watching how the new Print on Demand for Indy books will start to affect the Secondary market. 
Rags will be the 1st book I think that will be affect I think I will chart the book over time and see how it affects.
Didn't Tribe does this as well with Sink?

I cant fault an Indy company for wanting to make some additional profit on its books. Speculators though might
think twice now though on books like that for that reason.

Glad to hear later Ms. Marvels are picking up. I just wish I had picked up more copies of #50, as I only have one copy of the variant, but both versions have been tough for me to find over the last few years... #48 is one of my favorite covers for a Carol book, and #49 is also nice.

10 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

$1 books were flying out . Heck I bought 20 or so myself. Guy next to me bought 30 and I 

was jealous as he got to the some that I wanted. A lot of great books to still be had. I think as a dealer
its almost an imperative to have maybe 5-10 $1 boxes to attract everyone.

5-10 boxes of $1 books take up A LOT of real-estate; you have to understand it's huge effort to lug and haul those boxes.  I had a stack of 50 cent books I was bringing to early shows and even though I was dumping them on a free table I brought, and was moving a fair amount of them, it wasn't worth the effort.....I only have one $2 box, it moves well but it's stuff you cannot find anywhere else for $2...bigger shows where it costs serious money to setup at it's not economically feasible to bring dollar boxes.

1 hour ago, spreads said:

5-10 boxes of $1 books take up A LOT of real-estate; you have to understand it's huge effort to lug and haul those boxes.  I had a stack of 50 cent books I was bringing to early shows and even though I was dumping them on a free table I brought, and was moving a fair amount of them, it wasn't worth the effort.....I only have one $2 box, it moves well but it's stuff you cannot find anywhere else for $2...bigger shows where it costs serious money to setup at it's not economically feasible to bring dollar boxes.

Depends what size table, 6 or 8 foot? What's the table cost? The floor is free. Can easily make your table fee in $1 books at a smaller show.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:02 AM, ygogolak said:

Depends what size table, 6 or 8 foot? What's the table cost? The floor is free. Can easily make your table fee in $1 books at a smaller show.

The floor is limited for a number of reasons: 1) having people dig on the floor inhibits people looking in boxes, space is limited.  2) If I wanted to put boxes down there I would put boxes of discounted trades/HCs, which sell far better and at much higher margins than discount bins.  My cost is about as lean as it gets, it's just not worth the hassle lugging those boxes, storing, sorting, pricing, etc.  I'm guessing you're not a dealer?  There is significant time and energy that goes into the show, the preparation is several time multiples to the actual event time...just like going through collections, it is very time-consuming....

1 minute ago, spreads said:

The floor is limited for a number of reasons: 1) having people dig on the floor inhibits people looking in boxes, space is limited.  2) If I wanted to put boxes down there I would put boxes of discounted trades/HCs, which sell far better and at much higher margins than discount bins.  My cost is about as lean as it gets, it's just not worth the hassle lugging those boxes, storing, sorting, pricing, etc.  I'm guessing you're not a dealer?  There is significant time and energy that goes into the show, the preparation is several time multiples to the actual event time...just like going through collections, it is very time-consuming....

He is one of the premiere comic dealers in the Cleveland area!

17 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

He is one of the premiere comic dealers in the Cleveland area!

12 minutes ago, spreads said:

haha, disregard!  :flamed:

LOL, definitely not. But I have setup at shows.

I'm just stating that your issue was margins. I'm saying, OK, keep your good stuff on the table. There is additional space under to put the cheap stuff.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

LOL, definitely not. But I have setup at shows.

I'm just stating that your issue was margins. I'm saying, OK, keep your good stuff on the table. There is additional space under to put the cheap stuff.

I think it partly depends on if you are young and fit or old and overweight.  Lugging around long boxes is back breaking work and makes for a tough day especially if you toss in an extra 10 long boxes of $0.50 books.  $125 a long box is pretty good money but you usually have to put quite a few $2 - $5 books in there to get people to grab a stack.  I set up a booth of just 2x$1 drek at a low cost local show and I'll not be doing that again since the time and effort to get books sorted and set up wasn't worth the $200 in profits (after paying for the booth) for the day.