• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On November 21, 2018 at 11:57 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you want people to understand you, you have to use terms as they are defined. A "loss leader" is an item that is sold AT OR BELOW ITS COST in an attempt to bring in business for other, profitable items. A "loss leader" isn't something that is sold "below its minimum profit margin" (which, itself, doesn't have meaning), as you are using it here.

If you are making SOME profit....even if it's not what you'd like to make...then you're not losing money, which is where the "loss" comes from.

No one's saying you cant define words whatever way you wish....but if you want people to understand you, you have to speak the same language.

Well, let's just a put a fork in it and say you're right and I'm wrong. No need to beat this horse to death and start quoting different definitions of a "loss leader", because no matter what source I cite I'll just be told it's wrong.  :foryou:

#TimeToMoveOn

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Hard speculators are really chasing Dead Rabbit right now. Why because the book got pulled before it was completed.
I can think of a lot of reasons to chase an indy book, but that's not really one for me.

Several Spawn issues between 140-200 are doing really well from low print runs.

Moon Knight 25 is still moving well.

Thor Knull issues continue to do well.

The Rejected continues to sell well in every print 1,2 and 3rd print. I am completely sold out
and It was the most profitable indy book I have sold in awhile.

Black Hammer I am now sold out off. Don't believe anyone that this book is hard to find. Its not.

Young Avengers issues continue to sell well for 1st appearances.

Tomb Raider Hughes issues are still killing it.

Please be aware of the dangerous game of buying those 1/100 variants. Scarce as they are, both spec sites
and market manipulation are causing prices to spike wildly. Wait a few weeks and let the prices stabilize if you want
a copy for your collection. Just doing that will save you quite a bit of money.

I will be hitting the local pug productions con this Sunday and it is comics only, all shapes and sizes. I may have to look into those Spawn issues as those seem a bit under the radar tome. I was looking at a box the other day that had a ton of them in this range but I do not know which ones are hotter than others. Thanks for the heads up.

5 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Well, let's just a put a fork in it and say you're right and I'm wrong. No need to beat this horse to death and start quoting different definitions of a "loss leader", because no matter what source I cite I'll just be told it's wrong.  :foryou:

#TimeToMoveOn

No need to be offended. Truly. Half the problems in written communication is that people use words that mean something other than what the writer intends. I agree, there's no need to beat this horse to death. 

#TimeToMoveOn

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:
On 11/21/2018 at 4:04 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:
On 11/20/2018 at 10:50 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not what loss leader means, so probably that's where the confusion lies...

No, it's a loss leader in that scenario when I'm pricing normally $4-10 books at a buck a book to stimulate sales elsewhere. It's just not profitable at that price at the more expensive cons. Depends upon your definition of a "loss leader." I'm employing the one where it's sold at below it's minimum profit margin. (thumbsu

Most of us understand what you mean and are not bound up in strict definition. They get the point even if they are stuck trying to give you a strict definition. (thumbsu

lol

There's much to be said for clarity in communication, and not much to be said for dismissing it. If you imagine that "most of us" understand what people mean, I can show you 10,000 examples...on this board alone....where that's not true, and that's when the writer uses words correctly. How much less so when they're not...?  :)

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

9 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:04 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not what loss leader means, so probably that's where the confusion lies...

No, it's a loss leader in that scenario when I'm pricing normally $4-10 books at a buck a book to stimulate sales elsewhere. It's just not profitable at that price at the more expensive cons. Depends upon your definition of a "loss leader." I'm employing the one where it's sold at below it's minimum profit margin. (thumbsu

Most of us understand what you mean and are not bound up in strict definition. They get the point even if they are stuck trying to give you a strict definition. (thumbsu

lol

There's much to be said for clarity in communication, and not much to be said for dismissing it. If you imagine that "most of us" understand what people mean, I can show you 10,000 examples...on this board alone....where that's not true, and that's when the writer uses words correctly. How much less so when they're not...?  :)

The OP made a simple point it was easy to understand. I saw no need to make the guy explain anymore and "most of us" would agree.

I don't deal in absolutes only the Sith do that.

The OP made a simple point it was easy to understand. I saw no need to make the guy explain anymore and "most of us" would agree.

I don't deal in absolutes only the Sith do that.

Only the Sith quote film lines and apply them to real life...

What If 105 9.8 used to be a 150-200 book only last year.... its now a 400-500 book 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1311.R1.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.XWhat+If+%23105.TRS0&_nkw=what+if+105&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16&_osacat=63&_odkw=LEGION+OF+SUPER-HEROES++325+&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&LH_TitleDesc=0

Also I havent seen anyone discuss this book in the past. It has since cooled off somewhat, but still a $10 book with a cool cover

s-l1600 (4).jpg

On 11/15/2018 at 3:04 PM, FlyingDonut said:

NYX in 9.8 is a $10,000 book? I don't think so.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:04 PM, FlyingDonut said:

NYX in 9.8 is a $10,000 book? I don't think so.

I sold my NYX #3 9.8 Stan Lee SS last month for 1500.00.  It might take a while to get to $10,000 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:04 AM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I may be coming into this late, but that's not what a "loss leader" means. A "loss leader" means that you are losing money on item A because the buyer of item A will ALSO buy item B, C, and D, making your costs back on all four items AND covering your profit for all four items. A loss leader by definition doesn't have profit involved in it.

On 11/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

No clue. Who is Dr Frye (1st app) and does that anything to do with it?

I believe Dr Frye was also a character from the original Hulk television show and this is his first comic appearance. Look back to that character and it clues you to where the current story is going.

8 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I may be coming into this late, but that's not what a "loss leader" means. A "loss leader" means that you are losing money on item A because the buyer of item A will ALSO buy item B, C, and D, making your costs back on all four items AND covering your profit for all four items. A loss leader by definition doesn't have profit involved in it.

I never do "loss leaders" . . . :bigsmile: