• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2019 at 1:07 PM, Nico Esq said:

Thinks a couple of the board members may be a tiny bit jealous they don't have their own speculation website(s). :baiting:lol

:jaws:

So they can fleece people and part fools from their money...?

hm

I think it has more to do with integrity than jealousy.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

8sw7.gif

Many collectors have a bad tast in their mouth for one reason or another about the various google plus groups, speculation websites, etc.  It is improper to paint with a broad brush.  I hope that is obvious.  Moreover, these sites have generally done a good job of encouraging enthusiasm for collecting.  Does that mean that they haven't made mistakes? Of course not.  Does that mean that any number of people associated with these sites don't have selfish motives (consciously or subconsciously)? Of course not.  Does that mean that some aren't better than others? 
Again, I think we all know the answer to that.  It is naive to suggest that those with integrity do not participate in speculation websites or frown upon them.  That's the same as saying "I don't vote in elections because politics is corrupt."  I think it was Stan Lee who suggested that we should "be the change you want to see in the world!"  If you think there is a general lack of integrity on speculation websites, start a speculation website with integrity.  Don't be a Sunday Morning Quarterback throwoing stones at others suggesting that they lack integrity. Our participation in the CGC boards is the same thing as any one of these websites and it was really these boards (this thread in particular) that galvanized modern speculation into what it is today.  Ok maybe it was Ghandi and not Stan Lee, but you get my point.      

Edited by Nico Esq

15 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:
7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

hm

8sw7.gif

Exactly...now you're feeling my vibe...."spec" sites trying to take advantage of dumb noobs....

1 hour ago, Nico Esq said:

Many collectors have a bad tast in their mouth for one reason or another about the various google plus groups, speculation websites, etc.  It is improper to paint with a broad brush.  I hope that is obvious.  Moreover, these sites have generally done a good job of encouraging enthusiasm for collecting.  Does that mean that they haven't made mistakes? Of course not.  Does that mean that any number of people associated with these sites don't have selfish motives (consciously or subconsciously)? Of course not.  Does that mean that some aren't better than others? 
Again, I think we all know the answer to that.  It is naive to suggest that those with integrity do not participate in speculation websites or frown upon them.  That's the same as saying "I don't vote in elections because politics is corrupt."  I think it was Stan Lee who suggested that we should "be the change you want to see in the world!"  If you think there is a general lack of integrity on speculation websites, start a speculation website with integrity.  Don't be a Sunday Morning Quarterback throwoing stones at others suggesting that they lack integrity. Our participation in the CGC boards is the same thing as any one of these websites and it was really these boards (this thread in particular) that galvanized modern speculation into what it is today.  Ok maybe it was Ghandi and not Stan Lee, but you get my point.      

:golfclap::golfclap:

If I sell Moderns that are "Heating up" or "hot" based upon Sales on sites or speculation sites to fuel my Golden and silver age Addiction.....Good for me and them.  They get the first Rescue or Riri or whatever graded a 9.8 and I Flip that to a Schomburg or Wood or Elias or Everett....It is their money.  Spec Sites help the industry as a whole...I for one Like all participation.  

Edited by Jaydee

21 minutes ago, darkstar said:
9 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Don't be a Sunday Morning Quarterback throwoing stones at others suggesting that they lack integrity. Our participation in the CGC boards is the same thing as any one of these websites    

No it isn't. People knowingly pushing false narratives to sell books and make money here regularly get shot down by others. That doesn't occur elsewhere where the people in charge are the ones feeding the false info deliberately and those that speak up get banned. And these aren't honest mistakes - it is a pattern of deceitful behavior.

Also this board dies when there is no speculation, this board doesn't drum up speculation out of nothing - if there is nothing to talk about, there is nothing to talk about and these threads go dormant. Spec sites have an obligation to routinely publish new speculation so that they can keep their services running, attract new members, and continue to get ad revenue, comps, etc. They throw garbage at the wall to see what sticks; nothing about it is a genuine interest in collecting - it's all about how do we make money this week. If it actually was about collecting they would have substantive conversations about characters and books that do not have significant monetary value and that is just not a focus of these groups.

The gentlemen above is correct. The difference between here and at least one main spec site is easy. They are trying to become an online Wizard. Just ask them they will tell you. They have to continually crank out material. It doesn't matter whether its truthful or even factual sometimes. Are their great articles on there? Yes many I have enjoyed. Some of the article originated here, its where they get some of their data. They are gathering sellers from both comic shops and ebay sellers. Once they have enough they can begin to draw more advertising money and monetize their site. 

Now are there genuine collectors on those sites? Sure there are. A lot of boardies from here are on those sites for the information and I am sure some networking. Will it stay that way? I am not sure. Some sites are starting to remove members now that are opening bragging about manipulating CGC/CBSI or running scams trying to manipulate books in general. 

Some boardies on here have issues with each other, but I wouldn't hesitate to do business even with boardies I don't especially like. I can question their comments and quotes all day, but I can't deny their passion or integrity to the hobby. I don't feel that same way on other sites and that's why I spend a lot of my hobby time here.

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, the authority said:

Somwone told me a long time ago that smart people will every once in a while say something stupid. Conversely, big dummies can occasionally say something useful. Pay attention to all of them and weed out the BS that shows if people are consistently trying to move their product and not share their best bets.

But the problem for quite some time now is that one big dummy publishes something that's blatantly wrong, then all the other dummies repeat that garbage. That makes it much more difficult to find proper information when researching.

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

But the problem for quite some time now is that one big dummy publishes something that's blatantly wrong, then all the other dummies repeat that garbage. That makes it much more difficult to find proper information when researching.

That is occasionally true. Unfortunately, we can’t protect everyone from everything. Bad experiences usually result in wisdom gained but there are almost always growing pains in the learning. 

I’ve worked in the car business for around 30 years. One bad salesman can damage a dealership’s reputation for a considerable amount of time but the vast majority in the business are decent people. Still, the bulk of people I come in contact have reservations about  salespeople. In order to be successful and get repeat business, you have to be honest, courteous, and build your own good reputation. We earn people’s trust.

These sites are the same. A guy might get you once but with the amount of people here and elsewhere willing to call them out, the spotlight shines brightly on  the scoundrels. Thanks to social media, we aren’t stuck in a loop.

We can and will survive them. We’ll also meet many great people along the way. All we can do is offer our opinions and point out the facts to try to help people along the way. 👍

15 hours ago, darkstar said:

No it isn't. People knowingly pushing false narratives to sell books and make money here regularly get shot down by others. That doesn't occur elsewhere where the people in charge are the ones feeding the false info deliberately and those that speak up get banned. And these aren't honest mistakes - it is a pattern of deceitful behavior.

Also this board dies when there is no speculation, this board doesn't drum up speculation out of nothing - if there is nothing to talk about, there is nothing to talk about and these threads go dormant. Spec sites have an obligation to routinely publish new speculation so that they can keep their services running, attract new members, and continue to get ad revenue, comps, etc. They throw garbage at the wall to see what sticks; nothing about it is a genuine interest in collecting - it's all about how do we make money this week. If it actually was about collecting they would have substantive conversations about characters and books that do not have significant monetary value and that is just not a focus of these groups.

Absolutely! But I do hear that Stormbreaker will be played by Will Smith in the next Avengers movie, so Thor 339 might be making another jump into elite key status. Maybe quadruple digits for 9.6ses.

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

When I think about comic "news" I think it's sometimes more analagous to shoddy investment tips than hard news and some times altogether fake news.  I try and think about this stuff it in terms of how I consume current events, politics and other news.  Some people are going to watch Fox news all day.  They love Fox (CBSI) news and they think MSNBC (comicbookwars), CNN (Springman), CNBC (CBMT), etc. is trash.  Others will stick with CSPAN (the CGC Boards), others try and consume stuff from a variety of news sources while others are fine with USA Today (Newsarama).  The truth is that every news source gets it wrong sometimes, someone always gets the big story first which means that most of the time other news sources are late reporting.  People have the ability to consume comic news however they want and they have and will exercise that choice.  

The reality is that there are some Wall Street investors that hire brokers (e.g., they trust their LCS owner that they have a long term relationship with) to make them both money.   Others watch Jim Kramer on CNBC, other people read books by Warren Buffet, etc.  Some comic spec/investment websites are more analogous to Mad Money others more analogous to Berkshire Hathaway.  The difference is that we are self policing.  There are no shareholder derivative suits, no securities fraud laws, no real authority or regulations.  I tbelieve that means that more experienced collectors have a duty to contribute to the common welfare of our hobby, to share their wisdom, to acurately report information that is trustworthy.  I think we all know that intuitively and most of us do that to some extent here and elsewhere.  I'm not here to defend fake news, scammers or charletons, I am here to encourage us to do more individually to promote the long term health of the industry.  If you don't like the way certain websites are doing things, do it better.  Be the change you want to see in the comic community.  That's not a radical idea, but it can be a revolutionary idea if we allow it to be.   

I think it's beautiful that people are so passionate about this hobby that they want to fight for it, defend it from things that they believe are damaging it and stick up for newcomers and the hoby in general.  Ultimately, I believe what is best for the industry is refraining from self-rightousness in reference to the various google plus groups, websites, mewe groups, etc. and focusing on how we can individually and collectively contribute to the health of the hobby, improve the quality of the conversation, the viability of the speculation, the verasity of the reporting, etc. rather than labeling all third party "news/spec,/investment" websites as garbage.       

4 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

I think it's beautiful that people are so passionate about this hobby that they want to fight for it, defend it from things that they believe are damaging it and stick up for newcomers and the hoby in general.  Ultimately, I believe what is best for the industry is refraining from self-rightousness in reference to the various google plus groups, websites, mewe groups, etc. and focusing on how we can individually and collectively contribute to the health of the hobby, improve the quality of the conversation, the viability of the speculation, the verasity of the reporting, etc. rather than labeling all third party "news/spec,/investment" websites as garbage. 

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, the blob said:

"a lot of early raw Chew books, etc."

#1 is still expensive, but yeah, I don't think this is a bad idea at all

I'm afraid Chew is going to end up like the Goon and never get made.  When that book came out (those first 20 issues or so) it was amazing.  I don't know if it ever makes it to TV or the big screen, but it will always have a soft spot in my heart.  Same deal with Cowboy, Ninja, Viking which I think would be a cult classic film that may win an academy award and/or bomb at the box office so bad that it ruins careers (actors, directors, producers alike).

I also have a soft spot for origin stories (remember when they were a big deal) and big events (death of Jason Todd or Gwen Stacey, the proposal/wedding of superman, etc.) again I think this kind of stuff probably has speculative value in the long term but I think it's going to be a slow steady climb like Chew when most people are looking for the potential for explosive gains.  

Personally,  I long for a time when story and art drove investment, but we are in an era where many comics don't get opened for fear of causing micro imperfections and people have turned to collecting comic cover art.  That hurts my heart, but I think the way out is to talk abont stories we love.  I don't know that there's a lot of upside to speculating on or investing in titles like Fear Agent or Hack and Slash, but I enjoy those books and I'm still buying them and selling them.    

1 hour ago, Nico Esq said:

I'm afraid Chew is going to end up like the Goon and never get made.  When that book came out (those first 20 issues or so) it was amazing.  I don't know if it ever makes it to TV or the big screen, but it will always have a soft spot in my heart.  Same deal with Cowboy, Ninja, Viking which I think would be a cult classic film that may win an academy award and/or bomb at the box office so bad that it ruins careers (actors, directors, producers alike).

I also have a soft spot for origin stories (remember when they were a big deal) and big events (death of Jason Todd or Gwen Stacey, the proposal/wedding of superman, etc.) again I think this kind of stuff probably has speculative value in the long term but I think it's going to be a slow steady climb like Chew when most people are looking for the potential for explosive gains.  

Personally,  I long for a time when story and art drove investment, but we are in an era where many comics don't get opened for fear of causing micro imperfections and people have turned to collecting comic cover art.  That hurts my heart, but I think the way out is to talk abont stories we love.  I don't know that there's a lot of upside to speculating on or investing in titles like Fear Agent or Hack and Slash, but I enjoy those books and I'm still buying them and selling them.    

There are so many Netflix, etc shows getting cranked out, not sure why these well done comics can't be done there. Goon is tricky because I don't think the comedic elements carry over to live action and an animated series is a hard sell. Dunno why an animated movie can do $500 million at the box office, but adults will refuse to watch it on tv. I might be able to get my wife to a goon movie, she might even like it (less likely), but I can never get her to watch the tv show and she liked WD, preacher, American gods, tried Constantine, even I zombie (will not watch super heroes tho)

1 minute ago, the blob said:

There are so many Netflix, etc shows getting cranked out, not sure why these well done comics can't be done there. Goon is tricky because I don't think the comedic elements carry over to live action and an animated series is a hard sell. Dunno why an animated movie can do $500 million at the box office, but adults will refuse to watch it on tv. I might be able to get my wife to a goon movie, she might even like it (less likely), but I can never get her to watch the tv show and she liked WD, preacher, American gods, tried Constantine, even I zombie (will not watch super heroes tho)

I have started telling people things like "you remember that movie a History of Violence? .[dramatic pause]  Yeah, that was a comic book first."  Because it makes sense that something like Men In Black was a comic book before it was a movie, but it's counter intuitive for people who aren't comic collectors to even imagine that properties like Frank Miller's 300 were comics before they were films.  I'm really grateful to live in a time when there are going to be so many more comics that turn into TV/Film properties.  I think that Hollywood has realized that comics are the greatest focus group imaginable and a wealth of untapped creativity, but it's taken the better part of a century for Hollywood to get that.  Who knows how long it may take the rest of the population? lol