• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Nico Esq said:

I have started telling people things like "you remember that movie a History of Violence? .[dramatic pause]  Yeah, that was a comic book first."  Because it makes sense that something like Men In Black was a comic book before it was a movie, but it's counter intuitive for people who aren't comic collectors to even imagine that properties like Frank Miller's 300 were comics before they were films.  I'm really grateful to live in a time when there are going to be so many more comics that turn into TV/Film properties.  I think that Hollywood has realized that comics are the greatest focus group imaginable and a wealth of untapped creativity, but it's taken the better part of a century for Hollywood to get that.  Who knows how long it may take the rest of the population? lol

Chew, Goon, and Fear Agent (obviously there are others) also have 3 - 4 seasons of potential plots already half written for TV shows. I don't understand the economics of Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. (and my friend who is in the industry and creates TV shows has a hard time grasping how the numbers work as well)... the joke about how amazing it was that 30 million people watched Bird Box.. on 12 Netflix accounts... (apparently it was watched on 45 million Netflix accounts, but not everybody finished it... I am shocked there are that many). Anyway, I am new to that world of TV. HATED watching anything on our laptop. Finally got an internet capable TV this summer (had a 17 year old TV) and the options are amazing. Just don't have the time to watch the stuff I would like to watch. Maybe have 90 minutes a night of vegging out in me.

5 hours ago, the blob said:

Chew, Goon, and Fear Agent (obviously there are others) also have 3 - 4 seasons of potential plots already half written for TV shows. I don't understand the economics of Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. (and my friend who is in the industry and creates TV shows has a hard time grasping how the numbers work as well)... the joke about how amazing it was that 30 million people watched Bird Box.. on 12 Netflix accounts... (apparently it was watched on 45 million Netflix accounts, but not everybody finished it... I am shocked there are that many). Anyway, I am new to that world of TV. HATED watching anything on our laptop. Finally got an internet capable TV this summer (had a 17 year old TV) and the options are amazing. Just don't have the time to watch the stuff I would like to watch. Maybe have 90 minutes a night of vegging out in me.

Don't forget Millarworld was purchased by Netflix.  Jupiter's Legacy, Huck and a few others are in the pipline.  Plus the 2 new series he developed specifically to make for netflix.

10 hours ago, Bird said:

If anyone sees The Goon Library #3, it is a monster on ebay. Retail is $39.99 and I just sold one for $165 shipped. There are 5 Goon Library editions but only #3 sells like this from what I see.

yea, I had that in my DCBS pre-order months ago and dumped it as they seemed to just be sitting there and I would get it a couple months later....nope!  I have 1 and 2, no #3:cry:.  I can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$ on a book that was $22 on DCBS for months.  Some sellers are asking upwards of $300 for it!!!  It is nowhere to be found in my area either, oh well.  I should get 4 and 5 at least before they go OOP.

9 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

yea, I had that in my DCBS pre-order months ago and dumped it as they seemed to just be sitting there and I would get it a couple months later....nope!  I have 1 and 2, no #3:cry:.  I can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$$ on a book that was $22 on DCBS for months.  Some sellers are asking upwards of $300 for it!!!  It is nowhere to be found in my area either, oh well.  I should get 4 and 5 at least before they go OOP.

I plucked 3 out of a set at a closing store, they still have 1, 2, 4, 5 at 25% off the retail $39.99. I almost bought them all to offer as a set but no more profit was in it really than I could get with just the #3.

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I plucked 3 out of a set at a closing store, they still have 1, 2, 4, 5 at 25% off the retail $39.99. I almost bought them all to offer as a set but no more profit was in it really than I could get with just the #3.

you can still get 1, 2, 4, 5 from DCBS/In Stock Trades for like 45% off retail

Harley Quinn 57, cover B, released today, is already sold out everywhere and people are asking stupid money for it.  If your LCS happens to have any, might be a good short term pick up. 

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

4 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Harley Quinn 57, cover B, released today, is already sold out everywhere and people are asking stupid money for it.  If your LCS happens to have any, might be a good short term pick up. 

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

My shop only got two in, and I knew it was a hot book but only grabbed one. They seem to be selling for just under $20 shipped, right now. Awesome cover, though. I'm surprised today's Alex Ross and Adam Hughes' Captain Marvel covers aren't going for more, they're lovely.

5 hours ago, cd4ever said:

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

I only found one copy for $20 locally. Looks like most copies on eBay are selling for around that. I could see it increasing once the copies on there run dry.

20 minutes ago, Bighaley21 said:

I only found one copy for $20 locally. Looks like most copies on eBay are selling for around that. I could see it increasing once the copies on there run dry.

Wow, I'm glad I saw this. I just called my LCS and they put one aside for me. Love this cover, love my LCS !

Regarding the Harley Quinn...

My LCS had 2 for $14.99 each, but I didn't feel like getting into it. I looked for 30 minutes for something else in my budget and decided to see a movie instead...

:sorry:

It is a nice cover though...

35 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I am little surprised at how many responses on here are about the price of this book being $15 or $20 at the various LCS' of some Boardies.  That's junk.  This is a new release and LCS' really shouldn't jack up the price on release day.  I would recommend anyone paying this ransom amount will seriously look at another venue to spend their money.  

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

Why are you assuming that the people who did not preorder one, but want one from their local comic shop are "dirty flippers" out to just make money?

58 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I am little surprised at how many responses on here are about the price of this book being $15 or $20 at the various LCS' of some Boardies.  That's junk.  This is a new release and LCS' really shouldn't jack up the price on release day.  I would recommend anyone paying this ransom amount will seriously look at another venue to spend their money.  

Would you rather have the store hold them back and sell them in a few days at a mark up or is it just as bad?

Went to three stores today at open, I ended up finding two copies.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Would you rather have the store hold them back and sell them in a few days at a mark up or is it just as bad?

Went to three stores today at open, I ended up finding two copies.

Some stores hold inventory on spec, some don't.  My point is that there are lots of shops not jacking up the price of a book on release day.  Look at your options as there just may be some better ones available. 

41 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Wow, who pee'd in YOUR Cheerios?

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

If it's jacked up the day of its release, that is flipping. Whether it's a customer or store. What your calling "flipping" is actually just selling at the current market rate on eBay.