• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:
11 hours ago, cd4ever said:

Harley Quinn 57, cover B, released today, is already sold out everywhere and people are asking stupid money for it.  If your LCS happens to have any, might be a good short term pick up. 

HQ 57 Tedesco Cover

I only found one copy for $20 locally. Looks like most copies on eBay are selling for around that. I could see it increasing once the copies on there run dry.

Its a nice cover, but Harley dried up for me a while back I feel she is overused now.  Local shops had a copy or two left as of today probably gone tomorrow. 

Some of my local shops have gone to one book only routine on hot books. Don't blame them. They have a responsibility to have available copies not some responsibility to someone grabbing all the copies who wont be a return customer.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I am little surprised at how many responses on here are about the price of this book being $15 or $20 at the various LCS' of some Boardies.  That's junk.  This is a new release and LCS' really shouldn't jack up the price on release day.  I would recommend anyone paying this ransom amount will seriously look at another venue to spend their money.  

That's not the case anywhere locally for me. They still sell them for cover. 4 stores I know of at least. That being said I think I know one store that will put back a few copies. Some have gone to one copy only and I am okay with that. You can tell why a customer is pissed when they can only get one copy.

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

While that’s certainly true, I wouldn’t give my weekly funds to a shop that operated like that. “No obligation” and “Good customer service” are two different standards.

1 hour ago, Brock said:

While that’s certainly true, I wouldn’t give my weekly funds to a shop that operated like that. “No obligation” and “Good customer service” are two different standards.

They can always make exceptions if the customer is a regular and not somebody they know just shows up occasionally to grab hot books.

9 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

I am little surprised at how many responses on here are about the price of this book being $15 or $20 at the various LCS' of some Boardies.  That's junk.  This is a new release and LCS' really shouldn't jack up the price on release day.  I would recommend anyone paying this ransom amount will seriously look at another venue to spend their money.  

I wish I had that option. Only one comic shop that sells moderns within 50 miles of me. 😔

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Unless the customer had specifically ordered it earlier, the LCS has no obligation to give away desperately needed profit to enable dirty flippers to make money.

Only the LCS may sell this book at a premium?   Customers are engaged in “dirty” flipping 😂 I hope you are being sarcastic!  I find it silly how people think “certain people” are less than others because they flip comics rather than hoard them or collect differently or maintain that only a LCS may “flip” comics (that is what retailers do if they want to stay open and succeed, otherwise they are basically a diamond customer distribution center masquerading as a comic shop).

Personally, I think it’s trash to tax books on the day they are released, but I get how a LCS that is operating as basically a diamond distributor could need to suck every dollar they can out of their customers.  There’s no real profit in being a quasi diamond franchisee without the traditional protections of a franchisor/franchisee agreement.  I think that is where many LCS go wrong and then they need to try and make extra money on books the day they are released.  It’s sad, but I think we are going to see more and more chains of comic shops that know how to make money selling comics and less and less stores that don’t cater to flippers and speculators. 

Edited by Nico Esq

3 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Only the LCS May sell this book at a premium, engage in “dirty” flipping 😂 I owe you are being sarcastic!  I find it silly how people think “certain people” are less than others because they flip comics rather than hoard them or collect differently or think that only a LCS may “flip” comics (that is what retailers do if they want to stay open and succeed, otherwise they are basically a diamond customer distribution center masquerading as a comic shop).

Personally, I think it’s trash to tax books on the day they are released, but I get how a LCS that is operating as basically a diamond distributor could need to suck every dollar they can out of their customers.  There’s no real profit in being a quasi diamond franchisee without the traditional protections of a franchisor/franchisee agreement.  I think that is where many LCS go wrong and then you need to try and make money on books this way.  It’s sad, but I think we are going to see more and more chains of comic shops that know how to make money selling comics and less and less of stores that don’t cater to flippers. 

I don't blame any shop for running the business the way they are. I have the choice to spend my money there or take it elsewhere.

17 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:

Some stores hold inventory on spec, some don't.  My point is that there are lots of shops not jacking up the price of a book on release day.  Look at your options as there just may be some better ones available. 

The bulk of the shops not jacking up the price likely do not know it is jacked up yet. When the Deadpool garbage pail kid cover was hitting $20 on the day of release my local shop did not have a clue at 1:30 p.m. when there were still copies. By 5 p.m. they had figured it out, but they were sold out by then. Sure, you may occasionally  having a shop like Midotwn that had tons of that Joker mask book a few years back selling them at cover, limit 1 per customer, but I also think that was under $15. They do that strategically I think to get you to run there thinking it may happen again with other hot books and when you do, and they are sold out (or behind the counter) you may buy some other stuff.

It is $20+ on ebay. Unless you ordered it for your file or you spend a bunch of money at your shop, why on earth should the shop be selling them to you at cover price? These are mostly struggling businesses, they need to make money where they can. A shop selling it for $15-20 when they are all over ebay selling for that much or more is hardly being unreasonable. They lose money on so many other books every month. They need to take whatever little profits they can while they can.

If you want to read the story there is an "A" cover that I assume has not exploded.

Edited by the blob

On 3/26/2015 at 11:36 AM, thecopperagekids said:

Quick question about holofoil error variants....

I know that there is an error variant on ASM 375 and Hulk 400.....I think RMA mentioned earlier in this thread there's an error variant for 393, as well.

Can someone post up a partial or full list of what other 90's DC/Marvel holofoil error variants are known to exist?

There is a known error for hulk 400? Can anyone provide a photo, does anyone own one and if you do, do you have a bucket to carry my money in?

2 hours ago, the blob said:

It is $20+ on ebay. Unless you ordered it for your file or you spend a bunch of money at your shop, why on earth should the shop be selling them to you at cover price? These are mostly struggling businesses, they need to make money where they can. A shop selling it for $15-20 when they are all over ebay selling for that much or more is hardly being unreasonable. They lose money on so many other books every month. They need to take whatever little profits they can while they can.

No one said anything about being obligated to do anything.  All I said was to look at your options as many stores are not jacking up the price of books on release day.  Why is this even an argument??  I don't like it, that's my opinion.  You love it, run with it.  

14 minutes ago, Mapleleafvann said:

No one said anything about being obligated to do anything.  All I said was to look at your options as many stores are not jacking up the price of books on release day.  Why is this even an argument??  I don't like it, that's my opinion.  You love it, run with it.  

I didn't say anything about you claiming anyone was obligated to do anything. I just find it surprising when people living in capitalist countries are outraged that people would act like capitalists by charging what other people are charging for the same item. Now, yanking them out of your pull list and selling them for $20, that's very different.

Edited by the blob

20 hours ago, Mapleleafvann said:
20 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Why are you assuming that the people who did not preorder one, but want one from their local comic shop are "dirty flippers" out to just make money?

Observation of behavior in the hobby over the last few years probably justifies his cynicism.