• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

Thx guys! @Lazyboy @awakeintheashes Now I remember that panel; that run was an LCS pull for me back in the day but I no longer have it. Was there hullabaloo around its release at the time? Other than eBay shopping, I wasn't doing much else online in the hobby at that time, so I surely missed any discussion at the time.

While it's a shocking panel, the Lois story is pretty much 12 pages of various graphic violence. (I was able to pick it up). I read that Tom King was trying to convey what goes through Superman's head when he is away from Lois and worrying, but the execution was more akin to a slasher film than a suspense thriller, which could have conveyed the concept more eloquently than overt violence. I think it's the implication/expectation that they are "safe for all ages" titles that is at the root of upset folks' upsetness. 

But I will now watch dollar bins for GL 54; I need to reread that and recall that panel in context. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thx guys! @Lazyboy @awakeintheashes Now I remember that panel; that run was an LCS pull for me back in the day but I no longer have it. Was there hullabaloo around its release at the time? Other than eBay shopping, I wasn't doing much else online in the hobby at that time, so I surely missed any discussion at the time.

While it's a shocking panel, the Lois story is pretty much 12 pages of various graphic violence. (I was able to pick it up). I read that Tom King was trying to convey what goes through Superman's head when he is away from Lois and worrying, but the execution was more akin to a slasher film than a suspense thriller, which could have conveyed the concept more eloquently than overt violence. I think it's the implication/expectation that they are "safe for all ages" titles that is at the root of upset folks' upsetness. 

But I will now watch dollar bins for GL 54; I need to reread that and recall that panel in context. Thanks!

This pretty much sums it up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators

11 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Green Lantern #54

WomaninRefrigerator.jpg 

It's the subject of essays, maybe a book or two and a new TV series on Hulu or Amazon.  I don't remember.  It's one of the major references for all of the identity politics  comicsgate stuff.  It's worth a google search, but not something I've spent any considerable amount of time reading about.  Gail Simone wrote about it and has become the face of  "women in refrigerators" as a rallying cry for gender politics and comics.  It's interesting to me personally because it is something I remember being asked about in college by someone who knew that I loved comics. I remember a girl I "dated" in undergrad back in the day had a women's studies professor.who talked about it in class and she wanted me to talk to her about it.  I think there may have been an academic journal article or two written about it 15 years ago.  My point is that while that regular cover is as common as any book from that era, the DCU variants are super rare in high grade.  I think the regular cover should be a $20 book not a $2 book, and the DCU variant should be a $200 book not a $20 book, and the market will self correct that at some point.  Notice all of the discussion about the issue here.  It's an important part of comic history no matter whether you think it was an example of systemic violence perpetrated against women by the comics industry and indicative or a pattern of male misogyny or a historical example of self proclaimed feminists being a victim by choice to advance an unhealthy personal political agenda.  My two cents.   

6 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

It's the subject of essays, maybe a book or two and a new TV series on Hulu or Amazon.  I don't remember.  It's one of the major references for all of the identity politics  comicsgate stuff.  It's worth a google search, but not something I've spent any considerable amount of time reading about.  Gail Simone wrote about it and has become the face of  "women in refrigerators" as a rallying cry for gender politics and comics.  It's interesting to me personally because it is something I remember being asked about in college by someone who knew that I loved comics. I remember a girl I "dated" in undergrad back in the day had a women's studies professor.who talked about it in class and she wanted me to talk to her about it.  I think there may have been an academic journal article or two written about it 15 years ago.  My point is that while that regular cover is as common as any book from that era, the DCU variants are super rare in high grade.  I think the regular cover should be a $20 book not a $2 book, and the DCU variant should be a $200 book not a $20 book, and the market will self correct that at some point.  Notice all of the discussion about the issue here.  It's an important part of comic history no matter whether you think it was an example of systemic violence perpetrated against women by the comics industry and indicative or a pattern of male misogyny or a historical example of self proclaimed feminists being a victim by choice to advance an unhealthy personal political agenda.  My two cents.   

This pretty much sums it up. It's been a point of conversation for a while. I think that long term it's a good book to have. Not saying it's going to reach astronomical prices, but it's relevant to a larger social conversation that's still happening today. The reason for its relevancy in the history of comics is beyond most of the movie/variant-cover spec folks, so it'll take longer to realize certain prices.

10 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

This pretty much sums it up. It's been a point of conversation for a while. I think that long term it's a good book to have. Not saying it's going to reach astronomical prices, but it's relevant to a larger social conversation that's still happening today. The reason for its relevancy in the history of comics is beyond most of the movie/variant-cover spec folks, so it'll take longer to realize certain prices.

But I want the 1:100 Miles Morehamous cover damnit!  lol

12 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Is DC stupid? Seriously, not the venue for that story. The purpose of these books at Sal.art is disposable entertainment for kids, not a psychological journey for 40 year old men. Sell those in a comic shop with a for mature audiences label. They have probably killed the Wal-Mart deal now.

13 hours ago, Readcomix said:

In 1999 gail Simone made a lot of stink about the woman in the fridge trope and it became a discussed issue, so years after gl 54. Ironically, deadpool 2 was attacked for that. The idea, I think, is folks being irritated that the murder/rape/torture of women is used as a plot motivation device for male characters, as if what matters most is how this impacts the guy. Obviously they switch genders now and then, but it is usually the upset guy and dead woman.

2 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

It's an important part of comic history no matter whether you think it was an example of systemic violence perpetrated against women by the comics industry and indicative or a pattern of male misogyny or a historical example of self proclaimed feminists being a victim by choice to advance an unhealthy personal political agenda.  

I think the reason for the low value is the same reason that people got upset...it was a meaningless death that just served to move the comic along without real substance. So there is no real need to read the comic itself, which is why people got upset...the woman's death and mutilation are inconsequential really.

2 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

I think one of the questions here is whether there is a large crossover of fans that collect/pay a premium for books and those that care about gender politics. My hunch is there isn't a huge crossover (which would explain the lack of value), but that could be wrong.

Then again, books like this might be sought after like those mentioned in SOTI.

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I think one of the questions here is whether there is a large crossover of fans that collect/pay a premium for books and those that care about gender politics. My hunch is there isn't a huge crossover (which would explain the lack of value), but that could be wrong.

Then again, books like this might be sought after like those mentioned in SOTI.

Someone is trying to get a $20 a pop for them (not the DC universe ones, of which there seem to be plenty too) on ebay (and not succeeding), but everyone else is at $2 or $3. While it is an issue that has gone well outside the comics scene, seems like a topic Fanboys aren't going to throw their money at given that they probably think it is a dumb issue and feminists aren't out their collecting the book to get pissed off at it. If the book was truly offensive with the fridge and an arm sticking out on the cover, then it might have a shot at living in infamy and being a $20 book.

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Someone is trying to get a $20 a pop for them (not the DC universe ones, of which there seem to be plenty too) on ebay (and not succeeding), but everyone else is at $2 or $3. While it is an issue that has gone well outside the comics scene, seems like a topic Fanboys aren't going to throw their money at given that they probably think it is a dumb issue and feminists aren't out their collecting the book to get pissed off at it. If the book was truly offensive with the fridge and an arm sticking out on the cover, then it might have a shot at living in infamy and being a $20 book.

If/when CGC puts "women in refridgerator," "comicsgate" or something to that effect on the label - that book suddently becomes collectable.  Time will tell, but I think this issue is important in much the same way the bludgening of Jason Todd to death is, or Batman: Damned #1 is important to comic history.   If collectors are anything they are archievests and this is why we are seeing all the excitement about Walmart Superman #7.  Collecting comics is really about preserving and sharing popular culture, art and stories.  I believe that these events are going to be increasingly important to collectors as the years turn into decades, but only time will tell. B|