• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

I normally do not pay attention to the rising prices on hardcover/collected editions, especially of those that I own, but I ran across something odd last night while perusing eBay.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 Library Edition volumes 2 and 3 seem to be selling for a lot of money. Does anyone know of a specific reason why these two volumes are seeing such a dramatic price when compared to the other volumes of Buffy Library Editions? Is it just supply and demand?

I've linked completed eBay listings below for season 9

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=buffy+library+edition+season+9&_sop=13&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

I normally do not pay attention to the rising prices on hardcover/collected editions, especially of those that I own, but I ran across something odd last night while perusing eBay.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 Library Edition volumes 2 and 3 seem to be selling for a lot of money. Does anyone know of a specific reason why these two volumes are seeing such a dramatic price when compared to the other volumes of Buffy Library Editions? Is it just supply and demand?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=buffy+library+edition+season+9&_sop=13&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

That's usually how it goes. Note that it's only Vol. 2 & 3 from that as well. Not Vol. 1.

Amazon is priced way over these sales too.

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
1 hour ago, DeadOne said:

That's usually how it goes. Note that it's only Vol. 2 & 3 from that as well. Not Vol. 1.

Amazon is priced way over these sales too.

Thanks. I noted those above.

I usually put these library editions on my Holiday Gift Exchange want list because they are affordable (at around $20-$25) and readily available. I didn't participate this past year, but I still wanted to pick up season 10 (which seems to be still affordable) and stumbled across these prices for season 9.

I thought I missed an announcement about printings or a change in publishing rights... something beyond the supply demand aspect.

Superman 7 seems to have peaked already!  The Facebook groups full of aspiring young flippers have resorted to selling them at cost plus shipping, and anyone asking more is being met with derision, which I thoroughly enjoy. :)

I was at a UPS store in upstate New York this weekend, and the local Wal-Mart had copies.  I like the format, but too hard to fill a run in Canada, so I left them behind.

14 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Superman 7 seems to have peaked already!  The Facebook groups full of aspiring young flippers have resorted to selling them at cost plus shipping, and anyone asking more is being met with derision, which I thoroughly enjoy. :)

I was at a UPS store in upstate New York this weekend, and the local Wal-Mart had copies.  I like the format, but too hard to fill a run in Canada, so I left them behind.

Didn't that book pop a week ago?  That is a lifetime in today's market.  You use to have a few weeks to ride the wave of a hype but now it seems like you have a few days to cash in before people move on to the next hot book.

Edited by 1Cool

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Didn't that book pop a week ago?  That is a lifetime in today's market.  You use to have a few weeks to ride the wave of a hype but now it seems like you have a few days to cash in before people move on to the next hot book.

Batman Damned #1 is four months old and still seems to be doing pretty well. :baiting:

There really is no predictable formula anymore. Even books like Rags #1 (Antarctic) is still selling for crazy money after there were some market controversies. White Widow from Absolute Comics selling well. Two independent books which usually don't make it to Friday before the bottom falls out.

What hurt Superman #7 Walmart is that the hype was built buy national news outlets which created speculation that it would be recalled. Which has not happened and most likely will not at this point. So the interest fell out.

10 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Top seller last year by a mile was the Infinity War set.  I probably sold 25 - 30 sets last year for about $40 - $50 a set.  Venom Lethal Protector 1- 6 also did great at the end of the year and I moved 15 - 20 sets at about $40 - $45 a set.  Individual books I sold a ton of New Mutants 100 (15 copies at $10 - $15 a piece).

I had forgotten about Infinity War that set was a cash cow for me this year as well.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:
4 hours ago, FineCollector said:

I've not had any problem selling them for a profit and I think I have sold 5 copies currently. When you try bleed out your buyers they tend not to buy from that type of seller. A lesson many never learn.

Edited by fastballspecial

22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So lets reflect on last year a bit.
Give me your top 3 sellers from Modern and Copper last year or a mixture.

Mine(Of the top of my head)
The Rejected - I sold 8 or 9 copies for $30-50 a piece. 
Young Avengers 1 - $25-60 a copy 7 copies
Captain Marvel 1 - 10 copies $35-50 a copy .

Copper
Power Pack 1 - Dozen copies for $10-15 
Shogun Warriors 1 - $10-20 a book 10 copies
Stan Lee Meets 1-5 Set - $35-80 a set 7 sets

power pack 1 for $10 is still underpriced unless youre talking in vg/below

My best seller by far was UF#4 at 75 a pop with a $5 (or less) investment 

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:
On 1/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, fastballspecial said:

So lets reflect on last year a bit.
Give me your top 3 sellers from Modern and Copper last year or a mixture.

Mine(Of the top of my head)
The Rejected - I sold 8 or 9 copies for $30-50 a piece. 
Young Avengers 1 - $25-60 a copy 7 copies
Captain Marvel 1 - 10 copies $35-50 a copy .

Copper
Power Pack 1 - Dozen copies for $10-15 
Shogun Warriors 1 - $10-20 a book 10 copies
Stan Lee Meets 1-5 Set - $35-80 a set 7 sets

power pack 1 for $10 is still underpriced unless youre talking in vg/below

My best seller by far was UF#4 at 75 a pop with a $5 (or less) investment 

When you paid $1 a piece for the PP 1s it doesn't really matter to me.

9 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Ha, sell any PP. I'm not selling any Miles though. I have room to hold a few books that have big potential.

Loved Power Pack 1 last year.  I probably sold 10 nice copies last year for $20 a pop and I just sold 2 CGC 9.8s for $200 a piece.  For a book I paid $5 a piece for a stack of 20 I couldn't be happier. 

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Loved Power Pack 1 last year.  I probably sold 10 nice copies last year for $20 a pop and I just sold 2 CGC 9.8s for $200 a piece.  For a book I paid $5 a piece for a stack of 20 I couldn't be happier. 

I can never find that book in high grade. Was it a show or something? It was a little before my time. I know they have been talking a movie for years now.

5 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I can never find that book in high grade. Was it a show or something? It was a little before my time. I know they have been talking a movie for years now.

Todd from Pittsburg had a show special for $5 a piece and had a bag full of Power Pack 1s and Venom / Carnage 1s and I grabbed both bags before the show started.  All of them were flawless and almost all came back 9.8 or 9.6.  Right place at the right time

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Todd from Pittsburg had a show special for $5 a piece and had a bag full of Power Pack 1s and Venom / Carnage 1s and I grabbed both bags before the show started.  All of them were flawless and almost all came back 9.8 or 9.6.  Right place at the right time

Dang, at the YTown show?

29 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Dang, at the YTown show?

Didn't make that one this year.  I think it was the Lake Effect show up in Mentor.  Definetely a killer show with a great group of dealers.

13 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Ha, sell any PP. I'm not selling any Miles though. I have room to hold a few books that have big potential.

See I look at things differently. UF4 was EXACTLY like pp 1 in terms of price. A 200 book in 9.8 and 10-15 raw for many years. To me that always shows longevity. And sure enough the movie dropped and it took off, more so as a raw. Also bear in mind that UF4 has a variant which would make it a little riskier to hold back then, but I was a believer and held until it got to 50.. I started liquidating then and had enough inventory to hold till it got to 75. Plenty of inventory. That's the same rule I apply to PP1. It's a 170-200 9.8er. And 10 or less currently for a raw nm. Which is why I'm holding. That book will NEVER drop below its current price because of its status, age, and.. well.. spec prospects. The fact that it's a first appearance with no other variants and a 35 year old book makes it a sure thing for me. I can pretty much sell anytime at 10$, but it just might go higher in which case I would surely sell then