• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

Please don't open that can of worms, I've had enough of the "it's a variant, but not really" books. No offense I just feel it's a little too much. To each their own though.

I understand, but there's already quite a bit of "well-centered" discussion for certain books with known problems in every age. Rai #3 is my favorite cover from the 1990s, but it is usually distractingly miscut. It's not a variant. It's a common production flaw that is sometimes avoidable.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

I understand, but there's already quite a bit of "well-centered" discussion for certain books with known problems in every age. Rai #3 is my favorite cover from the 1990s, but it is usually distractingly miscut. 

I see where you're coming from, but there are a lot of famously miscut books. Are we going to treat variations of those differently based off of this variation? 

I agree though the pre-unity RAI issues feature some of my favorite covers, there is just something about them that sets them apart from other covers from the time period. Rai 3 is fantastic!:foryou:

10 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

I see where you're coming from, but there are a lot of famously miscut books. Are we going to treat variations of those differently based off of this variation? 

I agree though the pre-unity RAI issues feature some of my favorite covers, there is just something about them that sets them apart from other covers from the time period. Rai 3 is fantastic!:foryou:

I don't know about "treat them differently" but if we instinctively buy the book that looks best, we'll have to do some compare and contrast.  Rai #1-#5 (and #0 later) make a great side-by-side set to collect. The centering on all of them needs to match for the best looking lineup. :)

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Eternal Warrior #5 has always been really cheap ($40 to $50 for CGC 9.8), but it is the undisputed first Bloodshot cover and first full Bloodshot story. There are still lots of them around, but it was 27 years ago. Bronze Age books are pretty plentiful and I wish I had bought a few key Bronze when they were 27 years old. :D

I was about to point this book out as a reason why it's not exactly a Hulk 180/181 situation. Since EW 5 is the continuation of the story that features the last page cameo, it is more analogous to Hulk 181 (except that Rai #0 was published between them). Since Rai 0 is a bit of an oddball book, covering lots of little bits of history, there might be room for EW 5 to get a lot more respect further down the road.

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Eternal Warrior #5 has always been really cheap ($40 to $50 for CGC 9.8), but it is the undisputed first Bloodshot cover and first full Bloodshot story. There are still lots of them around, but it was 27 years ago. Bronze Age books are pretty plentiful and I wish I had bought a few key Bronze when they were 27 years old. :D

I was about to point this book out as a reason why it's not exactly a Hulk 180/181 situation. Since EW 5 is the continuation of the story that features the last page cameo, it is more analogous to Hulk 181 (except that Rai #0 was published between them). Since Rai 0 is a bit of an oddball book, covering lots of little bits of history, there might be room for EW 5 to get a lot more respect further down the road.

And yet . . .  this copy has been listed at a reasonable price 4ever. :grin:

15 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Rai 0 in 9.6 and 9.8 has reached supernova status as of this morning

Someone bought almost every copy listed with prices ranging all over the place 

I sold one of my copies last week too. hm

Eternal Warrior #4 is more expensive than Rai #0, even though you can make a strong case that EW #4 is more like Hulk #180 (Bloodshot on last page only) and Rai #0 is more like Hulk #181 (Bloodshot is multiple appearances from the first page and the cover silhouette).

The silhouette on the cover of Rai 0 is bloodshot right?  So that's first cover then.  

If this was the work of a pump and dump board member, as someone may or may not have alleged, the plan was a fail.

Other than the oddity run on the book early in the day, there was not much more than the normal buy/sell pattern for the rest of the day on it.

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Rai #3 is usually miscut at the top. A nicely-centered copy shows blue sky and orange above the Rai title box. If Rai #3 is undervalued, the centered copies are even moreso.

rai3top.jpg

In all Honesty  THIS is the Man I listen to on Valiant.  

18 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:
20 hours ago, valiantman said:

Eternal Warrior #4 is more expensive than Rai #0, even though you can make a strong case that EW #4 is more like Hulk #180 (Bloodshot on last page only) and Rai #0 is more like Hulk #181 (Bloodshot is multiple appearances from the first page and the cover silhouette).

The silhouette on the cover of Rai 0 is bloodshot right?  So that's first cover then.  

As it has been posted, the silhouette of Punisher from the Marvel Handbook is exactly what Jim Shooter used for the image.  Is it Bloodshot?  Yes.  No.  Both are valid answers. 

r0.jpg

The silhouette was reused with the Rai trade paperback, bagged with Rai Companion #1.

Here's the trade:

rai.jpg

...and here's the companion book from the same trade (bagged):

raicompanion.jpg

It's the Rai image that includes the scope on the gun to match the silhouette... if we really want to make a decision.  Jim Shooter was no longer at Valiant at the time of the Rai trade paperback, if we want to keep debating. Neither image is a perfect match.  There are shoulder pads in the silhouette that aren't on the trade or trade companion.

Edited by valiantman

14 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Question of the day: Does a silhouette constitute a 1st Appearance? :whistle:

15 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

If this was the work of a pump and dump board member, as someone may or may not have alleged, the plan was a fail.

Other than the oddity run on the book early in the day, there was not much more than the normal buy/sell pattern for the rest of the day on it.

I had a lot of interest in the copy I had up in the $10-13 range. I think I had it at $18. I have others so I took $13.

21 hours ago, divad said:
On 2/1/2019 at 11:25 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Question of the day: Does a silhouette constitute a 1st Appearance? :whistle:

Don’t be silly.

Obviously, Rai’s first appearance is in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe. :insane:

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:57 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

As someone who has collected Valiant since the beginning and who owns a copy of every book they printed, I feel that EW #5 will drop out of the running for consideration as a major Bloodshot key.  EW #4 and Rai #0 will be the Hulk 180/181 equivalent, with Rai #0 Glossy being the runaway winner.  Fortunately, I have my 9.8 of both on lockdown already :)  If the movie is good, I expect big gains.

34 minutes ago, Serpentor said:

As someone who has collected Valiant since the beginning and who owns a copy of every book they printed, I feel that EW #5 will drop out of the running for consideration as a major Bloodshot key.  EW #4 and Rai #0 will be the Hulk 180/181 equivalent, with Rai #0 Glossy being the runaway winner.  Fortunately, I have my 9.8 of both on lockdown already :)  If the movie is good, I expect big gains.

That would be fine with me, as I have 2 9.6s and 4 9.8s, and a bunch more ungraded