• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Time for Trading RAI for something Silver or Bronze just like in 1993

Slight edit. lol

I picked up an amateur restored (err....conserved label but it is all the same) Hulk #1 in a collection last August that the owner had traded a spare Magnus #12 for back in 1993. He was worried he lost the trade at the time but need a Hulk #1 for his run. lol 

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I've been able to get more in the $20 - $25 range for nice copies but now it looks like $25 - $30 is the new price point.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Slight edit. lol

I picked up an amateur restored (err....conserved label but it is all the same) Hulk #1 in a collection last August that the owner had traded a spare Magnus #12 for back in 1993. He was worried he lost the trade at the time but need a Hulk #1 for his run. lol 

I don't know if a Magnus 12 was ever worth nearly as much as even the cruddiest Hulk 1

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't know if a Magnus 12 was ever worth nearly as much as even the cruddiest Hulk 1

Back when Valiant was hot in 1993 and trashed SA keys were worth maybe $100 - $200 I could see it. Here is the best Hulk #1 that a Magnus #12 could buy back then lol 

1771438397_cgcIncredibleHulk1A.thumb.jpg.c418104cff408100bfa70e6db87af5fb.jpg

18 minutes ago, kimik said:

Back when Valiant was hot in 1993 and trashed SA keys were worth maybe $100 - $200 I could see it. Here is the best Hulk #1 that a Magnus #12 could buy back then lol 

1771438397_cgcIncredibleHulk1A.thumb.jpg.c418104cff408100bfa70e6db87af5fb.jpg

ok, missing centerfold, even in 1993 that was big, but otherwise, most dealers would have called that a Good+ back then. Believe me, if I could have found a complete, but trashed, FF 1, Hulk 1, X-Men 1, or AF 15 for $100 I would have jumped on it. My recollection is that I did grab a TOS 39 that was probably a 2.5 for about $100 then.

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

My notes say CGC added "Matte" or "Glossy" in May 2015.  Yes, there would be many glossy copies in earlier CGC slabs that don't have any notation.  

I have calculated the "Matte" and "Glossy" ratios two different ways.  One of them has Glossy at 14% and the other has Glossy at 17%.  It's probably safe to estimate Glossy is about 1-in-6 or 16.7%, if not closer to 1-in-7.  Unless something crazy has happened with all the copies distributed since 1992, the "Glossy" book should be a little tougher than 5-to-1.

The "white shadow" description was a result of everyone staring at their copies of Rai #0 back-in-the-day trying to figure out which ones were different.  It's definitely a situation where the white/black/red coloring is slightly off-register, and that minor error creates a "shadow" that some collectors might think is neat.  Like most comic book errors, "neat factor" is more important than rarity, since some really rare errors are ugly and some common errors are "neat".

If you are just looking at a copy of Rai #0 front cover, the biggest sign that a book is "Glossy" is that you can clearly see the coloring on the first page of the story on the right edge.  "Glossy" covers appear to be a little short on the right side, and also short on the back cover, as if the paper stock wasn't as wide and didn't reach the edges of the interior pages.

Tiny slivers of the first page are visible on both "Glossy" and "Matte" but wider amounts of the first page (separate colors, blue, black, purple, etc.) are visible on "Glossy".

rai0_compare.jpg

My Man you are the Most Knowledgeable Valiant person on the Planet KUDOS for this...So many people are Making mistakes...FYI did you see the Valiant Custom Blue Labels...Pretty Snazzy

2 hours ago, Phish&Comics said:

Immortal Hulk #2 is still going strong. Sold one quickly at a BIN $50. Don't quite get why this book is so hot. Yeah it has the first appearance of Dr. Frye, but spoiler:

Hide contents

Hulk rips his arms and legs off and buries him deep in a cave on a mountain for eternity. 

Sell sell sell is all I can say 

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

My Man you are the Most Knowledgeable Valiant person on the Planet KUDOS for this...So many people are Making mistakes...FYI did you see the Valiant Custom Blue Labels...Pretty Snazzy

Thanks - but my info is just a compilation of what I've learned from others who were there (at Valiant back-in-the-day) or were there (as a Valiant fan) before me. :foryou:

Yes, the Valiant custom blue labels are pretty snazzy. (thumbsu

0297245002_1200.jpg

Combined with that special embossing, this made a slab I couldn't pass up when it was available. :cloud9: 

7 hours ago, Phish&Comics said:

Immortal Hulk #2 is still going strong. Sold one quickly at a BIN $50. Don't quite get why this book is so hot. Yeah it has the first appearance of Dr. Frye, but spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Hulk rips his arms and legs off and buries him deep in a cave on a mountain for eternity. 

Oh my.. Your spoiler reminded me what a good ending that was..   Immortal hulk us such a good run so far.. Every book is great. 

3 hours ago, MGH said:

Oh my.. Your spoiler reminded me what a good ending that was..   Immortal hulk us such a good run so far.. Every book is great. 

Yeah, but he comes back later. 

But I've always agreed.  Makes no sense.  I honestly think it might be the 2nd issue scarcity thing more so than a 1st appearance. 

Patrick