• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:
3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree with grade junky here. I say hold for another month or two. I rarely disagree with Darkstar, but use the ASM 800 example. Those early books at the beginning of the storyline appreciated quite a bit. I think $10 is low and look more for $20 in the next few months as buyers go to find the 994 and 995 issues at the beginning of the storyline since they want them all. Lock in  your profit now 
and hold one or two for another month or so at least.

I'm not sure what ASM 800 has to do with Tec 854. But, I would say wait until you see her in costume, then sell. She's a cool character and should be well received.

:facepalm: My eyes are failing on a cellphone. I thought I read that as 994 not 854 my fault ignore me and carry on. doh!doh!

10 hours ago, Carl Elvis said:

Holy geezus... are there "real" collectors left in this hobby with an actual brain anymore?  The day I spend more then $10.00 on any valiant book is the day I eat my gitch.

4 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Holy geezus... are there "real" collectors left in this hobby with an actual brain anymore?  The day I spend more then $10.00 on any valiant book is the day I eat my gitch.

There is much greater potential for growth in Valiant than in either of the big two. Greater risk, certainly, but much bigger potential returns

15 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

...and we all thank you for leaving these in the bargain boxes, Red_Hood. http://www.valiantpriceguide.com/issue/sales/h1/

:foryou:

15 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Thanks!  Without guys like you I wouldn't have found as many gems so cheap!  :banana:

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Thanks!  Without guys like you I wouldn't have found as many gems so cheap!  :banana:

I've milked the valiant cash cow more then enough but I'm not the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who pays ridiculous once the wave starts to crest.  

I'm glad the majority of people are too lazy to be proactive and are simply reactive to what the sheep do.

Edited by Red_Hood

16 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I've milked the valiant cash cow more then enough but I'm not the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who pays ridiculous once the wave starts to crest.  

I'm glad the majority of people are too lazy to be proactive and are simply reactive to what the sheep do.

Sooo me buying an Armorines #4 in NM shape (that say in a LCS for years for cover) is proactive or reactive?  This is one example out of dozens....would it be proactive to know what a BS Plat looks like in case you stumble across one in the wild?  We're not talking books that have been suddenly hot....

actually the best story was last year, I grabbed several large lots from an local online auction house that advertised over 100 comic lots.  I paid less than cover for a lot that had multiple runs of Harbinger (four copies Harbinger 1), Magnus, Solar, Eternal Warrior, etc.  This was last year, on comics that have been around for over two decades, some of which were always valuable (the Harbinger Pink from the lot is at CGC right now....)....

Edited by spreads
change

1 hour ago, spreads said:

Sooo me buying an Armorines #4 in NM shape (that say in a LCS for years for cover) is proactive or reactive?  This is one example out of dozens....would it be proactive to know what a BS Plat looks like in case you stumble across one in the wild?  We're not talking books that have been suddenly hot....

actually the best story was last year, I grabbed several large lots from an local online auction house that advertised over 100 comic lots.  I paid less than cover for a lot that had multiple runs of Harbinger (four copies Harbinger 1), Magnus, Solar, Eternal Warrior, etc.  This was last year, on comics that have been around for over two decades, some of which were always valuable (the Harbinger Pink from the lot is at CGC right now....)....

We are talking about books that are suddenly spiking in price and becoming hot (again).... we're talking about Rai #0.  This is not a rare book or tough to find in high grade.  These are being pushed by the lemmings... hence, my argument that there are no "real" collectors behind these price spikes.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

...and we all thank you for leaving these in the bargain boxes, Red_Hood. http://www.valiantpriceguide.com/issue/sales/h1/

:foryou:

I don't mean any disrespect to you personally vailiantman, you do good work and I know you're a fan.  I'm well aware of the sales achieved by these books but there is a lot of shrapnel that goes

for illogical prices and its not driven by true collectors.

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

We are talking about books that are suddenly spiking in price and becoming hot (again).... we're talking about Rai #0.  This is not a rare book or tough to find in high grade.  These are being pushed by the lemmings... hence, my argument that there are no "real" collectors behind these price spikes.

We're talking about the first full appearance for a franchise character set to appear in a movie portrayed by a big action star.

16 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I don't mean any disrespect to you personally vailiantman, you do good work and I know you're a fan.  I'm well aware of the sales achieved by these books but there is a lot of shrapnel that goes

for illogical prices and its not driven by true collectors.

That's really hard to say, though. There's a whole "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy based on what you just said.  What's a "true collector"?  Rai #0 is from 1992... 27 years ago.  If someone bought Marvel key issues when they were 27 years old with the hopes of turning a profit someday (we're talking about the late 1980s and early 1990s) were they automatically disqualified as a "true collector"?  If not, what's the difference?  Marvel at age 27 was for "true collectors", but Valiant at age 27 isn't?   Valiant's getting its first major motion picture in 2020. Did anyone give up their right to be a "true collector" if they bought Tomb of Dracula #10 before the Blade movie or Tales of Suspense #39 before the Iron Man movie?

People want to say that Valiant books were overprinted, and that's fair of most 1990s books, but Rai #0 doesn't make the list for the Top 300 books of 1992. http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1992.html  In fact, there are only 6 books from Valiant in the Top 300 for 1992, and none of those are considered "Valiant keys". In fact, all 6 books are commonly found for $1 or less.  The Valiant print runs were large compared to today, but apart from a couple of Valiant books in 1992 and 1993 they weren't dominating the charts.  Marvel and DC "drek" from 1992 and 1993 are the worst offenders by volume, a hundred-fold.

According to that link from comichron, even books like Death's Head vs. Killpower: Battle Tide #2 sold more copies than Rai #0.

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:

Here's what you're missing in regards to Valiant. Comic movies, as far as I can tell, generally don't pull a lot of non-comic readers into the hobby. People may enjoy the movies, and look forward to new episodes in the movie franchise, but that doesn't seem to result in long-term spikes of sales, except if characters (such as Guardians of the Galaxy) weren't all that big in the first place, and then drew in more existing comic readers to want the books.

I don't expect the Valiant movies to break that trend. What I *do* expect to see, if the Valiant movies are well made movies, is to see existing comic collectors check out the Valiant books. Valiant has fluctuated between .4% and 1% of the market for the last 6 months or so, depending on how many releases they have each month, and whether there's a #1. That's a *lot* of room for growth with *existing* comic collectors. And the average quality is pretty high, so I expect if enough readers check them out, a good number will stick around. 

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That's really hard to say, though. There's a whole "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy based on what you just said.  What's a "true collector"?  Rai #0 is from 1992... 27 years ago.  If someone bought Marvel key issues when they were 27 years old with the hopes of turning a profit someday (we're talking about the late 1980s and early 1990s) were they automatically disqualified as a "true collector"?  If not, what's the difference?  Marvel at age 27 was for "true collectors", but Valiant at age 27 isn't?   Valiant's getting its first major motion picture in 2020. Did anyone give up their right to be a "true collector" if they bought Tomb of Dracula #10 before the Blade movie or Tales of Suspense #39 before the Iron Man movie?

People want to say that Valiant books were overprinted, and that's fair of most 1990s books, but Rai #0 doesn't make the list for the Top 300 books of 1992. http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1992.html  In fact, there are only 6 books from Valiant in the Top 300 for 1992, and none of those are considered "Valiant keys". In fact, all 6 books are commonly found for $1 or less.  The Valiant print runs were large compared to today, but apart from a couple of Valiant books in 1992 and 1993 they weren't dominating the charts.  Marvel and DC "drek" from 1992 and 1993 are the worst offenders by volume, a hundred-fold.

According to that link from comichron, even books like Death's Head vs. Killpower: Battle Tide #2 sold more copies than Rai #0.

Yeah, but just wait for the Battletide movie.

34 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
59 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

So was there price manipulation at play behind the recent spike with Rai 0????

I don't think there is anything that can be proven.

I'm not sure what caused the recent uptick in prices, other than perhaps Bloodshot getting a definitive release date for February 21, 2020.  Did anyone on the speculator websites mention it? (I don't follow those sites.)  There are probably a few ("old school") Valiant slab collectors who are happy to sell their extras near $300 that wouldn't have bothered to list them for sale at $150.  I expect a flood of copies if the latest sales result in people submitting dozens of raw copies to CGC.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:
54 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

So was there price manipulation at play behind the recent spike with Rai 0????

I don't think there is anything that can be proven.

I'm not sure what caused the recent uptick in prices, other than perhaps Bloodshot getting a definitive release date for February 21, 2020.  Did anyone on the speculator websites mention it? (I don't follow those sites.)  There are probably a few ("old school") Valiant slab collectors who are happy to sell their extras near $300 that wouldn't have bothered to list them for sale at $150.  I expect a flood of copies if the latest sales result in people submitting dozens of raw copies to CGC.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rai-0-CGC-9-6-1-Valiant-RARE-GLOSSY-Hottest-Comics-List/183679934567?hash=item2ac42d6067:g:pokAAOSw2j9bLqVg:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

This listing mentions a "Hottest Comics List"... doesn't get very specific, mentions other 1st appearances that I don't remember on the label though (insider info? lol ), my sale has been legit (so far :wishluck:)and is out for delivery to recipient today.... provided they leave feedback. Only one sale confirmed legit I guess (shrug) but not many have gone in auction, just mostly BIN's.....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
So Far :eek:

50 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No, there wasn't anything anywhere that I looked. Which is why I was asking originally if it was just one person who maybe bought them all.