• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, spreads said:
8 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

I've milked the valiant cash cow more then enough but I'm not the insufficiently_thoughtful_person who pays ridiculous once the wave starts to crest.  

I'm glad the majority of people are too lazy to be proactive and are simply reactive to what the sheep do.

Sooo me buying an Armorines #4 in NM shape (that say in a LCS for years for cover) is proactive or reactive?  This is one example out of dozens....would it be proactive to know what a BS Plat looks like in case you stumble across one in the wild?  We're not talking books that have been suddenly hot....

actually the best story was last year, I grabbed several large lots from an local online auction house that advertised over 100 comic lots.  I paid less than cover for a lot that had multiple runs of Harbinger (four copies Harbinger 1), Magnus, Solar, Eternal Warrior, etc.  This was last year, on comics that have been around for over two decades, some of which were always valuable (the Harbinger Pink from the lot is at CGC right now....)....

Thats not a good example to use. I would push my grandmother out of the way for a chance at a NM Armorines 4 as I know how rare it is. 
Valiant rarity has always sold well. Rai 0 isnt in that category.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Thats not a good example to use. I would push my grandmother out of the way for a chance at a NM Armorines 4 as I know how rare it is. 
Valiant rarity has always sold well. Rai 0 isnt in that category.

Red Hood was talking about passing on all Valiants over $10.  It's that mentality that allowed me to grab multiples of the biggest Valiant key at pennies on the dollar (just last year!!), while every other mainstream (Marvel/DC) lot run by this auction house sold better than what dealers would get at local shows. 

If the broader collecting public wants to ignore the spectrum of non Marvel/DC books...well.....:banana::banana::banana: 

Edited by spreads

8 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

We are talking about books that are suddenly spiking in price and becoming hot (again).... we're talking about Rai #0.  This is not a rare book or tough to find in high grade.  These are being pushed by the lemmings... hence, my argument that there are no "real" collectors behind these price spikes.

This is all hearsay, you don't know who the buyers are or what the intention is of every item purchased..  Unless you were involved in these auctions or have first hand knowledge, then by all means....

12 minutes ago, spreads said:

Red Hood was talking about passing on all Valiants over $10.  It's that mentality that allowed me to grab multiples of the biggest Valiant key at pennies on the dollar (just last year!!), while every other mainstream (Marvel/DC) lot run by this auction house sold better than what dealers would get at local shows. 

If the broader collecting public wants to ignore the spectrum of non Marvel/DC books...well.....:banana::banana::banana: 

Those anti-valiant people and their anti capitalistic mentality!

3 hours ago, spreads said:

This is all hearsay, you don't know who the buyers are or what the intention is of every item purchased..  Unless you were involved in these auctions or have first hand knowledge, then by all means....

Well somebody swindled me out of my copy! :whee:

1 minute ago, Tazmaster83 said:

Immortal Hulk 2 is red hot!  The Zaffino variant is shooting to new highs and the Alex Ross regular cover is as well.   Not sure if this can keep up.  Although, the series is a very fun read and one of the best series out there.

This is not going to end well for buyers. When the hype train dies, when Immortal Hulk ends and goes back to being Incredible Hulk, lots of people will be kicking themselves for being foolish.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Um, FOMO IS the market currently.

12 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

That's pretty much every bubble ever

With the 90's it was more people that weren't into comics thinking they could make a quick buck from buying a case of X-Men #1 and Superman #75

On 2/11/2019 at 12:20 PM, valiantman said:

That's really hard to say, though. There's a whole "No True Scotsman" logical fallacy based on what you just said.  What's a "true collector"?  Rai #0 is from 1992... 27 years ago.  If someone bought Marvel key issues when they were 27 years old with the hopes of turning a profit someday (we're talking about the late 1980s and early 1990s) were they automatically disqualified as a "true collector"?  If not, what's the difference?  Marvel at age 27 was for "true collectors", but Valiant at age 27 isn't?   Valiant's getting its first major motion picture in 2020. Did anyone give up their right to be a "true collector" if they bought Tomb of Dracula #10 before the Blade movie or Tales of Suspense #39 before the Iron Man movie?

People want to say that Valiant books were overprinted, and that's fair of most 1990s books, but Rai #0 doesn't make the list for the Top 300 books of 1992. http://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1992.html  In fact, there are only 6 books from Valiant in the Top 300 for 1992, and none of those are considered "Valiant keys". In fact, all 6 books are commonly found for $1 or less.  The Valiant print runs were large compared to today, but apart from a couple of Valiant books in 1992 and 1993 they weren't dominating the charts.  Marvel and DC "drek" from 1992 and 1993 are the worst offenders by volume, a hundred-fold.

According to that link from comichron, even books like Death's Head vs. Killpower: Battle Tide #2 sold more copies than Rai #0.

Interesting. I passed on a long box and a half of Rai #0s 15 or so years ago for $100. The reason - I had to buy all of the Valiant overstock from a LCS that went out of business and that included a long boxes ($100 apiece) of stellar books like Turok #1, Valiant Vision #1, Rai #9, Eternal Warrior #1, etc. I wanted the Rai #0s, but not the rest of the drek. 

Avengers #684 (1st Immortal Hulk) has been selling for $15+ raw and 9.8's are pushing the $150 mark.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-684-CGC-9-8-1st-Cover-Appearance-of-Immortal-Hulk-NM-L-k-HTF-ISSUE-/132949986628?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137&nordt=true&rt=nc

Harley Quinn #57 Tedesco Cover has been selling for $15+ and over $100 in 9.8 for a solid month..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Quinn-57-Variant-CGC-9-8-Tedesco-DC-SAME-DAY-SHIPPING-NM-MT/183672254883?hash=item2ac3b831a3:g:quQAAOSwF8tcWelK

The entire Immortal Hulk series has been on 🔥🔥🔥