• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, kimik said:

Interesting. I passed on a long box and a half of Rai #0s 15 or so years ago for $100. The reason - I had to buy all of the Valiant overstock from a LCS that went out of business and that included a long boxes ($100 apiece) of stellar books like Turok #1, Valiant Vision #1, Rai #9, Eternal Warrior #1, etc. I wanted the Rai #0s, but not the rest of the drek. 

How does a LCS maintain that stash for so long?  Did they have any other Valiants?.....there's an example on the VF board of a member that acquired a case of Harbinger 1s. 

8 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Why is Avengers #684 costing that much? :O 

I'm more interested in why people don't like the #682 1:25 or the #682 2nd print.  Both are substantially more rare than #684.  I get that some people don't like the 682 2nd print because it uses interior art, but it came out the same week as 684 and I assumed that the relative rarity of the #682s would make them the more desirable book.  That being said, it is clear that market prefers Immortal Hulk #2. lol   

14 hours ago, kimik said:

Interesting. I passed on a long box and a half of Rai #0s 15 or so years ago for $100. The reason - I had to buy all of the Valiant overstock from a LCS that went out of business and that included a long boxes ($100 apiece) of stellar books like Turok #1, Valiant Vision #1, Rai #9, Eternal Warrior #1, etc. I wanted the Rai #0s, but not the rest of the drek. 

That wouldn't have been $100 for the Rai #0s, then... that was just the bait.  You might as well say that new cars are $100 each, but you have to pay $8,000 per tire or no deal. :grin:

1 hour ago, spreads said:

How does a LCS maintain that stash for so long?  Did they have any other Valiants?.....there's an example on the VF board of a member that acquired a case of Harbinger 1s. 

It was interesting because the "case" of Harbinger #1 was only 40 copies, and they came from Bob Layton... so it wasn't exactly a local comic shop with 200. :grin:

about 4-5 years ago i had a retired 90s LCS who had gotten tired of having his inventory sitting in his garage call me, he had boxes of valiants and image.. at least 200 spawn #1, 1000s and 1000s of valiants including rai A&A and bloodshot 0s.. i mean that guy had soooo much drek in multiplies of hundreds... he wanted 1000 for all or nothing, i was TOTALLY not interested just because it was too much work, required alot of space and, well, this was prior to this age of drek spec we live in. I walked out and the next day he called me and said hell take 500 and i turned that down as well.. Needless to say, that was the one that got away, but given the circumstances I doubt I would have even picked it up for less

1 hour ago, Nico Esq said:

I'm more interested in why people don't like the #682 1:25 or the #682 2nd print.  Both are substantially more rare than #684.  I get that some people don't like the 682 2nd print because it uses interior art, but it came out the same week as 684 and I assumed that the relative rarity of the #682s would make them the more desirable book.  That being said, it is clear that market prefers Immortal Hulk #2. lol   

#682's regulars aren't rare and collectors are snapping them up because they are being sold cheaply on Ebay. Most of the buy-it-now prices are $4.99. Same with the 2nd print. One seller has sold 53 copies of  Avengers #682 2nd print at $3.99 buy-it-now. Seems to be an ample supply that's keeping the price down.

26 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

about 4-5 years ago i had a retired 90s LCS who had gotten tired of having his inventory sitting in his garage call me, he had boxes of valiants and image.. at least 200 spawn #1, 1000s and 1000s of valiants including rai A&A and bloodshot 0s.. i mean that guy had soooo much drek in multiplies of hundreds... he wanted 1000 for all or nothing, i was TOTALLY not interested just because it was too much work, required alot of space and, well, this was prior to this age of drek spec we live in. I walked out and the next day he called me and said hell take 500 and i turned that down as well.. Needless to say, that was the one that got away, but given the circumstances I doubt I would have even picked it up for less

Yeah, you could dump everything but the "at least 200 Spawn #1" and you'd have been in good shape at $500. hm

Edited by valiantman

56 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

#682's regulars aren't rare and collectors are snapping them up because they are being sold cheaply on Ebay. Most of the buy-it-now prices are $4.99. Same with the 2nd print. One seller has sold 53 copies of  Avengers #682 2nd print at $3.99 buy-it-now. Seems to be an ample supply that's keeping the price down.

There's 2k copies of the 682 1:25, 4k copies of the 682 2nd print and about 50K copies of the regular covers of 684 if my memory is correct.  I looked those numbers up on comicchron a while back

2 hours ago, kairos70 said:

1 hour ago, kairos70 said:

And?

While rarity (how few of something), doesn't automatically equal scarcity (rarity < desirability), the comparable rarity of a generally desirable cameo appearance (e..g, 1st Darkseid, CM 17 2nd print) generally means that this book is more desirable than the first full appearance.  So it is surprising that 684 is selling better than the 682 2nd print and the even more rare 682 1:25 variant.  

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

+1 

This is what I was looking at. There was a long box of sealed Valiant Reader sets, Bloodshot 0, each Unity book, and a bunch of other drekky Valiant titles and issues as well.  

I did have to pay more for all of the retailer incentives (VVSS, Gold/Red/Blue etc.) and pre-unity books - they gouged me at 3 for $1...... lol 

The mistake I made was not snagging the longs with ASM 361-363 though. doh!

On the flip side, around that time a long standing LCS need cash and sold off the contents of one of their storage facilities to another LCS for $10K. While there was a lot of drek, there was a long box and a half of NM #98s, Hulk vol 2 #8s, tons of ASM #298-328, etc. in the mix. The two stores that survived from the 80s in town had basically been speculating on extra cases of hot artist books in the late 80s - early 90s peak. As one of the owners told me, at 50 cents per book it was a no-brainer since they were selling through the books they held back and stickered up at $2-$4 apiece within a month. 

Edited by kimik

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

That wouldn't have been $100 for the Rai #0s, then... that was just the bait.  You might as well say that new cars are $100 each, but you have to pay $8,000 per tire or no deal. :grin:

That was the gist of it. As cool as I think the Sears Turok #1 cover is, there is no way to move that many copies. The longs of Unity issues and common books like Rai #9 would have had to be tossed in the garbage.

I did pay the premium of 3 for $1 on the couple of longs of remaining pre-unity and retailer incentive books, though.........