• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

You should have tried walking into dozens of comic shops around the country in the late 1990s and early 2000s asking for Valiant. lol

"Valiant...? What's that?"

"VALIANT??! (spit) I dumped that stuff in the trash years ago!!"

"Valiant...you mean, like Prince Valiant...?"

"Valiant? That company almost put me out of business!"

"Varmints? I ain't never hearda no "Varmint" comics..."

My take on the whole thing is that print runs are unimportant as a whole. Demand is where its at. And thats why I personally never bother discussing them at an early stage of a spec

I'd give a book some time before estimating a print run... If its a trending book, see if it catches on and sticks for a few months... Then estimate if its a good investment (flip/hold) by "estimating" a print run...

Weve seen this time and time again with many examples... Alot of people think its good to hold a book like, lets say, UF#4 because its been holding value for a long time, and there has been plenty of copies around. If, when UF#4 first started trending and people said "well I can see this book holding value BUT there have been SO MANY printed, so I think I should flip now", you'd shoot yourself in the foot for dumping based only on that notion. 

I mentioned Spawn 1 earlier on, what better example do you have than that? millions of copies printed... Millions! And that book has great demand for at least the past couple of years now. A high print run wont bring it down in price.

You also have to consider that most dealers know about these things and liquidate slowly based on demand. It only takes one hungry dealer to crash a book in a market as small as ours. One

If a book starts trending and a dealer decides hes moving all of his copies now at, lets say, a fifth of its current market value, it doesnt even matter if there are only 1,000 copies printed, if that one dealer holds sufficient copies of said stock.

I'd speculate first and foremost on how much of an impact does a spec has at its early stages before even thinking about print runs

but thast just me

4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

"Valiant...? What's that?"

"VALIANT??! (spit) I dumped that stuff in the trash years ago!!"

"Valiant...you mean, like Prince Valiant...?"

"Valiant? That company almost put me out of business!"

"Varmints? I ain't never hearda no "Varmint" comics..."

Well, I liked reading the early Valiants. The pre-unity issues for sure.  I really liked X-O Manowar and Solar.  Only a few are worth anything but I sure enjoyed reading most of them.

13 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I am a White Page Junkie, no agenda, just my preferance. If you own a CR/OW and I own the same copy in White, my copy is better !!!! :baiting:

if you own a cr/ow modern, that's probably the only one in existence; i'd take it over a boring 99.99% of the population white pager

5 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

I don't follow your logic for the ratio numbers are order numbers and have nothing to do with anything else.

It's not logic, just simple fact.

If it's so easy to estimate variant numbers, why are there no estimates for them on Comichron? Is JJM unaware of variants and their significance in the market for the past many years?

5 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

Nevertheless, they are the best tool we have.

Yes, but you have to understand what the numbers actually mean.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Well, I liked reading the early Valiants. The pre-unity issues for sure.  I really liked X-O Manowar and Solar.  Only a few are worth anything but I sure enjoyed reading most of them.

I did, too. Harbinger was brilliant, and Solar: Alpha & Omega was outstanding, with a very clever twist at the end.