• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

If people think Hit Monkey is creating a stir wait till Invincible trailers start on Amazon.

It may be great and all, but non-Big 2 don't make the same splash. Look at the shows out now. Umbrella Academy and Deadly Class. Both are better than some of the Marvel shows and definitely better than the CW DC shows. Those books aren't even cracking $100 in 9.8! Alias #1 was a $400 book at one point in 9.8.

1.jpg

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

If people think Hit Monkey is creating a stir wait till Invincible trailers start on Amazon.

It may be great and all, but non-Big 2 don't make the same splash. Look at the shows out now. Umbrella Academy and Deadly Class. Both are better than some of the Marvel shows and definitely better than the CW DC shows. Those books aren't even cracking $100 in 9.8! Alias #1 was a $400 book at one point in 9.8.

1.jpg

Hmm, you mention 2 shows but only show eBay results from one -- the one which falls into your <$100 category. And also didn't show the Deadly Class #1's in 9.8 that are not the weird shop variants. Those are > $100.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

4 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Hmm, you mention 2 shows but only show eBay results from one -- the one which falls into your <$100 category. And also didn't show the Deadly Class #1's in 9.8 that are not the weird shop variants. Those are > $100.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

LOL, I did a search and posted the most recent sales. A screenshot only fits so much.

But you're correct. Still not anywhere near Alias #1 highs. Which was the point of the comment.

Edited by ygogolak

25 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

1.jpg

Interesting thought and i do agree the huge surge for show books doesn't seem to be as steep as it use to be.  I'm betting a bit heavier on Invincibles since the books already have a strong following and the books command strong prices even before the show.  Even if the people looking to complete sets doubles with the tv show the prices on the sets should show a big up swing (to be fair I've got 3 complete sets in the hold boxes so I may be biased0.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Interesting thought and i do agree the huge surge for show books doesn't seem to be as steep as it use to be.  I'm betting a bit heavier on Invincibles since the books already have a strong following and the books command strong prices even before the show.  Even if the people looking to complete sets doubles with the tv show the prices on the sets should show a big up swing (to be fair I've got 3 complete sets in the hold boxes so I may be biased0.

Yes, it was around a $400 book before the original TV show option.

42 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They are absolutely better shows than the vast majority of all the Marvel and DC shows, I think they are every bit as good as Titans and Daredevil, BUT as you said - it's hard for non Marvel/DC books to get big, big spikes.  As always, the Walking Dead is the counter factual example (the exception that proves the rule).  Happy for example, sells for nothing and that show was AMAZING and it's getting a second season here in the next month or two (if my memory is correct).  Not sure what's up with the prices on Deadly Class.  They are so low, I'm waiting for them to bottom out before I start buying them for myself.  Umbrella Academy has seen stronger sales this week for sure, but prices are still pretty cheap (particularly in light of the response to the first season which has been very good.  I'm really interested in seeing where this goes.  I am sitting on a bunch of Umbrella Academy books but I got in really cheap when everyone was poor mouthing the book (I did not get that lucky with Deadly Class, heck I haven't even read it, but I LOVE the show).  I have a 9.9 of the 1:10 variant of #1 of Umbrella Academy up on eBay now and have go a lot of interest but offers are around the $350 not the $450 and I'm not in a hurry to sell since there is obviously going to be another season.  All the rest of my copies of Umbrella Academy are raw and need pressed, cleaned and slabbed , and I doubt that I get around to doing that in any reasonable amount of time (probably going to wait until season 2) since I haven't already bothered to do that.   

I sold a couple Deadly Class #1 signed books (the FP variant and the regular cover). I did ok on those. Made a little bit. What I've noticed is that it just drives the sales of the books up, but not necessarily the prices that much. I have some UA #1's that CGC is about to send me (I didn't time them well by not fast tracking them) so hopefully there will still be some activity when I get them. I bought those raw back right when the show was announced and got them fairly cheap. With current pricing, I'll make a decent profit.

I think both of these shows (I've been watching both) just don't have big audiences yet too. Give them some time. Word of mouth should help. They are both quality shows. Deadly Class being on SYFY doesn't help it.

It's really hard right now to know which books to load up on since even a hit show is not going to give a book a spike.  i'm currently loading on the following books when i see them at a good price and hopefully a few will explode:

The Boys 1

Y: Last Man Complete sets

Locke and Key 1 - 6 ( I may have gone overboard with this one)

Invincible complete sets

They all are so original so I've got good feeling about all of them.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I laid everything out in previous comments. Try reading them

No, you didn't (at least not in the last dozen or so pages, I haven't gone through all posts in this entire thread).  You should be able to summarize my question with a few words sentence....why does it matter or why do you care if there are 333 or 555 copies of a variant?

I'll even give you an example, I monitor and track house sales in my neighborhood.  There are a variety of reasons why I enjoy doing this, but to answer with a few words: I want to see how the average homes in my neighborhood sell versus comparable properties within a certain geographical area. 

38 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Invincible is greatly underrated, but before the heat of the series in the last 12-16 months full runs did not sell for much premiums over cover price. 

Unlike TWD, invincible didn't have a lot of collectors/speculating going after key books and appearances, two years ago I couldn't get more than $2/book for a big run of these comics.  I finally sold the lot online last year when interest started to spark, but it wasn't an easy sell.  Issue 1 has been on a slow gradual increase for several years, maybe a decade or so (I'm down to my last copy), but of course it's spiked even more so in the last year+.  The first few issues have been valuable too but once you get past the double digits you can find most if not all of them for a pretty reasonable amount. 

7 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It's really hard right now to know which books to load up on since even a hit show is not going to give a book a spike.  i'm currently loading on the following books when i see them at a good price and hopefully a few will explode:

The Boys 1

Invincible complete sets

I don't have a good feeling about The Boys. Maybe another trailer will change that. But, it's on Amazon and I'm getting a vibe like it will be the same thing that happened to Preacher. Maybe not and I am sitting on some, so I hope it does well. Y the Last Man is a big book already too like Invincible. At a show this weekend a dealer wanted $400 for a raw. From the front it looked like a 9.6 at least, but I didn't inspect it more at that price.

3 minutes ago, spreads said:

Invincible is greatly underrated, but before the heat of the series in the last 12-16 months full runs did not sell for much premiums over cover price. 

Unlike TWD, invincible didn't have a lot of collectors/speculating going after key books and appearances, two years ago I couldn't get more than $2/book for a big run of these comics.  I finally sold the lot online last year when interest started to spark, but it wasn't an easy sell.  Issue 1 has been on a slow gradual increase for several years, maybe a decade or so (I'm down to my last copy), but of course it's spiked even more so in the last year+.  The first few issues have been valuable too but once you get past the double digits you can find most if not all of them for a pretty reasonable amount. 

Invincible #1 has been a big book for a long time. You're talking about a series that has over 100 issues. So, you're saying you could buy the entire run for $300? There are other keys in the run that sell well. You just have to know which ones to look for.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I don't have a good feeling about The Boys. Maybe another trailer will change that. But, it's on Amazon and I'm getting a vibe like it will be the same thing that happened to Preacher. Maybe not and I am sitting on some, so I hope it does well. Y the Last Man is a big book already too like Invincible. At a show this weekend a dealer wanted $400 for a raw. From the front it looked like a 9.6 at least, but I didn't inspect it more at that price.

I had a great feeling about the Boys when the show news first came out but I do agree the previews have not been great and I've been selling off my stack of #1s.  I've got 1 complete stored away but I just don't see them being able to do the series justice and it could be flop.  Hopefully it will be different enough to create a buzz.

5 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I had a great feeling about the Boys when the show news first came out but I do agree the previews have not been great and I've been selling off my stack of #1s.  I've got 1 complete stored away but I just don't see them being able to do the series justice and it could be flop.  Hopefully it will be different enough to create a buzz.

Right, Preacher didn't have that same humor and raunch that the comic did. Which could be the same thing as Boys. But maybe being on Amazon will change that. It's also going to limit the number of viewers though.

Edited by ygogolak

21 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

The Boys 1

Invincible complete sets

I think those are all quality.  I just picked up a  nice Boys #1s this weekend.  I thought we would have reached super hero fatigue level by the time this show hit and that that people would love it.  I don't know if that's actually going to happen or not, but I'm excited for it.   I love Y the Last Man and I don't even have a copy of #1 for myself. :frustrated: those covers are gorgeous in the early books and I think the whole series can potentially take off because of the artwork.  One may not have much room to grow, but I love the purchase of complete sets.  That's something I've lost a couple auctions on this year (I hope to you, I won't feel as butthurt about my losses).  Locke and Key is a book that is a personal favorite.  I hope that it doesn't suffer from #1 variant fatigue like Deadly Class does.  It was such a beautiful series.  I am shocked you are getting complete sets of Invincible.  That is awesome.  I love that book.  I think we may see some rare 2nd print variants or other books pop up out of that series when the show premiers.  I have high hopes for it as well.       

41 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

So you went to the Lake Show east of Akron last weekend?  Was it a good picking show?

Invincible issues have been great sellers for me for years. Issues 1 to 12 do very well along with several other  issues in the run.

I picked up another 10 issues for $1 to $3 this week. I expect nice bump for awhile when it come out it has a built in audience and it's done by Kirkman who has his audience as well

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Invincible #1 has been a big book for a long time. You're talking about a series that has over 100 issues. So, you're saying you could buy the entire run for $300? There are other keys in the run that sell well. You just have to know which ones to look for.

I've very familiar with the value of #1 I've owned three copies, currently have one as part of my final collection...7-8 years ago I remember #1 was a solid $100 book in VF/NM raw, I know because I sold one on ebay.  It's been a gradual increase, and I'm not disagreeing with you but the price increase in this book over time has been much more organic and 'natural' then what we usually see in this thread.  #44 for example, has spiked and fluctuated, but this book and other keys in the series have not seen any of the collectors going after them specifically like they did for TWD keys (like first gov, first michonne, ect.).  You can't buy the whole run now for $300, but there was a time you could buy a huge run of it for $400-500 pretty easily...