• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Invincible issues have been great sellers for me for years. Issues 1 to 12 do very well along with several other  issues in the run.

I picked up another 10 issues for $1 to $3 this week. I expect nice bump for awhile when it come out it has a built in audience and it's done by Kirkman who has his audience as well

Agreed.  The first issues have always been popular and valuable, but once you get past the top ten and a few select books most do not sell for big money....still an amazing series, I like it much better than TWD.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

It's really hard right now to know which books to load up on since even a hit show is not going to give a book a spike.  i'm currently loading on the following books when i see them at a good price and hopefully a few will explode:

The Boys 1

Y: Last Man Complete sets

Locke and Key 1 - 6 ( I may have gone overboard with this one)

Invincible complete sets

They all are so original so I've got good feeling about all of them

I like all these books and have at least one set of each. I agree with most comments about The Boys, Y, and Invincible, but I think Locke & Key has the most potential for a broader audience appeal plus name recognition Joe Hill (Stephen King's son), who is starting the get the star treatment with the upcoming NOS4a2 movie and his recent award winning Strange Weather collection.

7 hours ago, spreads said:

No, you didn't (at least not in the last dozen or so pages, I haven't gone through all posts in this entire thread).  You should be able to summarize my question with a few words sentence....why does it matter or why do you care if there are 333 or 555 copies of a variant?

I'll even give you an example, I monitor and track house sales in my neighborhood.  There are a variety of reasons why I enjoy doing this, but to answer with a few words: I want to see how the average homes in my neighborhood sell versus comparable properties within a certain geographical area. 

I did mention it in the discussion over the past few days. If I'm in the market for a book, one of the factors in deciding what I'm willing to pay for it is the number out there potentially for sale.

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

It may be great and all, but non-Big 2 don't make the same splash. Look at the shows out now. Umbrella Academy and Deadly Class. Both are better than some of the Marvel shows and definitely better than the CW DC shows. Those books aren't even cracking $100 in 9.8! Alias #1 was a $400 book at one point in 9.8.

The key obstacle that I see with most books not published by the big 2 (and even some that *are* published by them) is longevity. Marvel and DC's big characters are going to be around for a long time in some form. Lesser-known characters that get a tv or movie boost have a better chance of sticking around a shared universe, I think. When you consider a book like Deadly Class, the creative team has a story to tell, they'll tell it, it will end, and eventually followers will die out. The Walking Dead may be the exception now, but I think the same will happen there. Eventually the tv show will end, and eventually the comic will end, and it's not something that is going to lend itself to being endlessly rebooted even if Kirkman were to sell it to someone else when he's done with it.

Been off the boards for awhile, I'm sure this has been discussed but Shocked at the Umbrella Academy comics and how hot they are. Found 14x NM #1's in my stash with various variants. Figured if you hadn't discussed before, well now ya know lol. 

Btw, what's going on with Goon? Shocked to see prices as high, will have to dig all my copies out. 

10 hours ago, Hekla said:

I like all these books and have at least one set of each. I agree with most comments about The Boys, Y, and Invincible, but I think Locke & Key has the most potential for a broader audience appeal plus name recognition Joe Hill (Stephen King's son), who is starting the get the star treatment with the upcoming NOS4a2 movie and his recent award winning Strange Weather collection.

I also agree with Locke and Key.  So fantastic.  

People seemed to move off that book when the series was winding down.  Not a shock.  Hopefully people stocked up on the book when it was cheaper. 

Patrick 

4 hours ago, cujobyte said:

Been off the boards for awhile, I'm sure this has been discussed but Shocked at the Umbrella Academy comics and how hot they are. Found 14x NM #1's in my stash with various variants. Figured if you hadn't discussed before, well now ya know lol. 

Btw, what's going on with Goon? Shocked to see prices as high, will have to dig all my copies out. 

Goon prices are all over the place. 

The Albatross series seems to be a bit deflated whereas Dark Horse #1 seems really inflated. 

Totally backward as Albatross came before Dark Horse and seems a lot harder to find. 

When I was on a Goon tear years ago, I ended up finding quite a few of the Dark Horse #1s.  Might be time to sell the extras as I really don't need them. 

Patrick 

P.S. - I want another Goon series.  Definitely one of my all-time favs. 

2 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Goon prices are all over the place. 

The Albatross series seems to be a bit deflated whereas Dark Horse #1 seems really inflated. 

Totally backward as Albatross came before Dark Horse and seems a lot harder to find. 

When I was on a Goon tear years ago, I ended up finding quite a few of the Dark Horse #1s.  Might be time to sell the extras as I really don't need them. 

Patrick 

P.S. - I want another Goon series.  Definitely one of my all-time favs. 

Here you go...new Goon series in 2019 to celebrate it's 20th anniversary

New Goon series 20th anniversary

15 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I did mention it in the discussion over the past few days. If I'm in the market for a book, one of the factors in deciding what I'm willing to pay for it is the number out there potentially for sale.

If potential for sale is the primary reason, wouldn't # of copies available for sale, and completed transactions be better determinants for evaluating the market?  Tangible data versus wild guesses....

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Don't look now, but a CGC 9.9 Rai #0 (not a variant, just a regular comic that was on the shelves in 1992) just sold for $2,650.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rai-0-CGC-9-9-Mint-Valiant-Comic-1st-Bloodshot-Bob-Layton-Vin-Diesel-Sony-9-8/223380157846

I LOVE valiant stuff.   Hopefully, this bodes will for the future.

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

Don't look now, but a CGC 9.9 Rai #0 (not a variant, just a regular comic that was on the shelves in 1992) just sold for $2,650.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rai-0-CGC-9-9-Mint-Valiant-Comic-1st-Bloodshot-Bob-Layton-Vin-Diesel-Sony-9-8/223380157846

Out of curiosity, what did your 10 cost you?

12 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
23 hours ago, valiantman said:

Out of curiosity, what did your 10 cost you?

$214 shipped over 16 years ago.  I believe the raws were still $0.25 to $2 everywhere at the time.

I remember bidding $333.33, but I think the 2nd highest bidder was right around $200.

Edited by valiantman

Who's got newsstand copies of Ultimate Fallout #4 they don't think should be worth more than direct editions?  I'd like to buy all the newsstands for the current direct edition price. lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Fallout-4-1st-Print-2011-Miles-Morales-Newsstand-Variant-Rare-HTF-/254123476675?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Who's got newsstand copies of Ultimate Fallout #4 they don't think should be worth more than direct editions?  I'd like to buy all the newsstands for the current direct edition price. lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Fallout-4-1st-Print-2011-Miles-Morales-Newsstand-Variant-Rare-HTF-/254123476675?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Same lol