• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, valiantman said:

You did good to add Rai #0 to your run, since it wasn't a pre-unity book. (thumbsu

I only collected three runs outside of this range that being RAI, Magnus, and Solar (slabbed that is)  Raw speaking I have allot more post.  I just always thought there was something awesome about EW. Kind of like backwards going from a movie translating into a comic. Because before this super-hero movie phenom explosion the past decade or less, usually comic story transcribed to big screen was a disappointment. Not necessarily because it was bad just because your own personal expectation or hopes were different. 

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

It is quite popular to be "too cool" for comic movies right now, so no matter how good the movie is, I expect venomous hatred from a loud group of people online. The thing that tells you whether a movie is financially successful immediately is the box office, but whether it's a good comic movie (especially for an independent publisher/property) depends on the "cult following" that comes later after streaming and a decade of reflection. lol

Regardless, it's likely that Valiant won't see significant increases in comic sales. Everyone on Earth saw Avengers: Infinity War and the December 2018 chart has Avengers at 23rd best seller.  A blockbuster Valiant movie might get Bloodshot into the top 200, since it was #206 the same month that Avengers was #23. :grin:

Movies don't do much to turn non–comic readers into comic readers. Where Valiant stands to gain after a movie is adding Marvel and DC readers as Valiant readers. Every comic reader is already well aware of who the Avengers are. The same can't be said for Valiant's properties.

1 hour ago, Jackhartmann said:

Maybe too high atm. Great cover but no sales in two days(3 days on the virgin.) Plus it's an Aftershock book, which typically don't have much staying power.

I'm always suspicious of TCM books when they start selling this high, as the owner personally manipulated ebay sales years ago.

Edited by I like pie

40 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Maybe too high atm. Great cover but no sales in two days(3 days on the virgin.) Plus it's an Aftershock book, which typically don't have much staying power.

I'm always suspicious of TCM books when they start selling this high, as the owner personally manipulated ebay sales years ago.

:popcorn:

1 hour ago, I like pie said:
2 hours ago, Jackhartmann said:

I agree a pretty variant with a nice cover will sell, but if the book sucks then it wont matter.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
6 hours ago, valiantman said:

It is quite popular to be "too cool" for comic movies right now, so no matter how good the movie is, I expect venomous hatred from a loud group of people online. The thing that tells you whether a movie is financially successful immediately is the box office, but whether it's a good comic movie (especially for an independent publisher/property) depends on the "cult following" that comes later after streaming and a decade of reflection. lol

Regardless, it's likely that Valiant won't see significant increases in comic sales. Everyone on Earth saw Avengers: Infinity War and the December 2018 chart has Avengers at 23rd best seller.  A blockbuster Valiant movie might get Bloodshot into the top 200, since it was #206 the same month that Avengers was #23. :grin:

Movies don't do much to turn non–comic readers into comic readers. Where Valiant stands to gain after a movie is adding Marvel and DC readers as Valiant readers. Every comic reader is already well aware of who the Avengers are. The same can't be said for Valiant's properties.

I think Valiantman is correct in his assumption here. The movie has to be a strong hit for the books to see a huge surge. At best it will get speculators to search out new keys and drive up existing prices of keys, last issues and such.

14 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think Valiantman is correct in his assumption here. The movie has to be a strong hit for the books to see a huge surge. At best it will get speculators to search out new keys and drive up existing prices of keys, last issues and such.

I agree that the movie has to be good. A bad movie will get lost in the glut of comic movies.

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

What's the deal with Old Lady Harley 5?  Why is this so hot?  Anyone get a copy?   I went to the LCS today and some guy was angrily complaining to the owner that they sold out. 

First appearance of Geriatric Joker. Old Lady Harley is DC's answer to Marvel's Old Man Logan riff. Lame to me but it seemed to be under ordered which led to a quick sell out.

I reported OLH first a couple of months ago (Harley 42) that book is still relatively cheap considering it's a 1st app. Looks like it caught on if she has a series and books are selling out

i guess this is a new trend for the big 2.. take popular characters and create a new character out of them; batman who laughs, cosmic GR, weapon H, immortal hulk, gwenpool and now old Harley smh.... u could probably trace it down to spider-gwen as the founder of that silly movement. 

Gotta find a name for this gimmic.....

24 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

First appearance of Geriatric Joker. Old Lady Harley is DC's answer to Marvel's Old Man Logan riff. Lame to me but it seemed to be under ordered which led to a quick sell out.

Oh, so it's a low print run, so people are going crazy about it?

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

I reported OLH first a couple of months ago (Harley 42) that book is still relatively cheap considering it's a 1st app. Looks like it caught on if she has a series and books are selling out

i guess this is a new trend for the big 2.. take popular characters and create a new character out of them; batman who laughs, cosmic GR, weapon H, immortal hulk, gwenpool and now old Harley smh.... u could probably trace it down to spider-gwen as the founder of that silly movement. 

Gotta find a name for this gimmic.....

Marvel has always used Deadpool as a way to poke fun at DC characters in his ongoing series. Once Harley Quinn took off as a major character DC started returning the jabs in her series. It had a character called the "Red Tool"- DC's version of Deadpool. Then they did the "Red Lion" in the Deathstroke: Rebirth series. Their version of Black Panther. The Old Lady Harley series is just a continuation of the tongue-in-cheek type humor between DC and Marvel. I doubt if DC would do anything serious or continuous with a character called Geriatric Joker. #5 is the last issue of the OLH mini-series.

Edited by kairos70

4 hours ago, Jackhartmann said:

store exclusive variant. went on sale this past sunday.

stop posting store exclusive variants.

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

What's the deal with Old Lady Harley 5?  Why is this so hot?  Anyone get a copy?   I went to the LCS today and some guy was angrily complaining to the owner that they sold out. 

A year from now, we're going to look back and laugh at this book. A fool and his money are soon parted

Edited by Second Blight

26 minutes ago, Second Blight said:

A year from now, we're going to look back and laugh at this book. A fool and his money are soon parted

Most likely... lol...though I was wrong with Batman Damned.

I was also just read joker's son is in this..Curious about reading it.. is Harley the mom? 

11 hours ago, valiantman said:

Funny you should mention those.  I've been working on a beginner's guide... :grin:

http://www.valiant101.com/101/collecting-bloodshot/

Cool article, Ive just got back into collector and so far have bought 2 lots that I had to process...First lot was 600 books and had some hidden gems, an entire run of Amazing Spiderman starting at 297-361 (and yes 300 was in there!) as well as a New Mutants run that also had 87 and 98 and an Xmen run with a bunch of Keys including 266. Very lucky on that lot.

The reason I quoted you is the lot I picked up last night was 2 1/2 long boxes and 1 full longbox was Valiant, which to be honest I never really had heard of. The lot contained a run of Magnus Robot fighter 0-44, Harbinger 0,2-40 , Some Eternal Warrior stuff including 2 issues of #4, two Rai 0's and some other Rai stuff and a bunch of other things. Most of the lot looks like they've never been read. Was floored at what graded Rai 0's are going for then started looking into some of the other Keys in there...Needless to say Im sending a package out this weekend for grading

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Most likely... lol...though I was wrong with Batman Damned.

I was also just read joker's son is in this..Curious about reading it.. is Harley the mom? 

It's ALL freakin' stoopid . . . now get offa my lawn! :preach: :sumo: 

Edited by divad