• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, mnaz1988 said:

I notice that any book with "Michael Myers" from the Halloween films is going for well over the price guide. For example, I own Halloween #1 from November 2000 in about VF or so. On the price guide, it's $3 in 9.4. On EBay, the lowest issue is going for $15 and the highest for over $50. Many Michael Myers books are into the $100+ range but the price guide still shows them extremely low.

These books seem hard to find as well. I never see them at shows or shops. Only on EBay and even there, they are difficult to find in large quantities. 

Horror fans are a different breed altogether, and are willing to spend serious $$$ on books that the guides ignore. The Chaos Halloween books have been hot for 20 years now. There's a chromium variant and a glow in the dark variant as well. They always sell strongly. The Topps Jason vs Leatherface mini has long been a hot and pricey run, as is the Northstar Leatherface series, Dark Horse's Army of Darkness mini, etc.  These books fly under the radar at shops but always sell well for me.

25 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

...and here is what a very poorly faked Venom Lethal Protector #1 "Black Error" copy looks like... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARCE-Black-Foil-Error-Variant-Venom-Lethal-Protector-1-1993-CGC-THIS/223443363719?hash=item3406432787

...I honestly don't even know why CGC grades these at all.

-J.

May I ask How you Know?

17 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

May I ask How you Know?

You can remove the red foil with a hair dryer and patience.  This person didn't even get all of it removed.  

The "white ones" are faked by removing the gold foil from those copies. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Horror fans are a different breed altogether, and are willing to spend serious $$$ on books that the guides ignore. The Chaos Halloween books have been hot for 20 years now. There's a chromium variant and a glow in the dark variant as well. They always sell strongly. The Topps Jason vs Leatherface mini has long been a hot and pricey run, as is the Northstar Leatherface series, Dark Horse's Army of Darkness mini, etc.  These books fly under the radar at shops but always sell well for me.

Yeah I love horror books. Was at a show recently and saw Texas Chainsaw books but even then they seemed priced too high. Could've bought them, but decided to wait. 

8 minutes ago, mnaz1988 said:

Yeah I love horror books. Was at a show recently and saw Texas Chainsaw books but even then they seemed priced too high. Could've bought them, but decided to wait. 

The upside of the horror books is that since most shops and dealers overlook them, you can sometimes find them in dollar bins. It's usually one or the other: crazy high, or crazy cheap. There's little in between.

16 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

You can remove the red foil with a hair dryer and patience.  This person didn't even get all of it removed.  

The "white ones" are faked by removing the gold foil from those copies. 

-J.

In all fairness, there are multiple CGC-graded copies that have sold on Ebay and as you can see, some still exhibit traces the red foil. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Lethal-Protector-1-CGC-9-6-SS-MCFARLANE-Black-Cover-Printing-Error-Variant/303053200813?hash=item468f60ddad:g:GosAAOSwUjVcWy-6

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Lethal-Protector-1-CGC-9-8-Black-Cover-Printing-Error-Key-Movie-Rare/123667630064?hash=item1ccb2a47f0:g:IW0AAOSwrhNcdtGW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Venom-Lethal-Protector-1-CGC-9-6-Black-Error-Cover-Super-Rare/113689477570?hash=item1a786bc1c2:g:2eQAAOSw8adcjZJ0

So what makes you think that the one you've presented above is a fake? It looks much like the CGC copies. What distinguishing marks am I missing? Because I'm about to submit one that has plenty of foil left around the typography and edges of items. It looks like the printer was offset.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

...and here is what a very poorly faked Venom Lethal Protector #1 "Black Error" copy looks like... 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARCE-Black-Foil-Error-Variant-Venom-Lethal-Protector-1-1993-CGC-THIS/223443363719?hash=item3406432787

...I honestly don't even know why CGC grades these at all.

-J.

Are you suggesting this book is a "fake" and that they don't exist?  This error was so common that Marvel actually made the books with this error returnable.     

57 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Are you suggesting this book is a "fake" and that they don't exist?  This error was so common that Marvel actually made the books with this error returnable.     

Some are real, many have been "created" after the fact.  

@KEY ISSUES Comics Which is why I said I am surprised CGC grades them at all, because if done well it is not really possible to know which is which.  The "errors" supposedly exist because the foil was coming off on many copies due to the glue being poorly applied, or not applied at all, the foil has continued to flake off on copies over the years due to the cheap /poorly applied glue, this book obviously exists in ultra mass quantities and is cheap enough to try this with.  I have personally seen copies where I could lift the edge of the foil off with just my fingertip.  I am always leery when I see the copies with foil still remaining.  The totally black ones where the foil looks more likely to never have been there at all are the only ones I would trust (and even then, you really just wouldn't know for sure).

-J.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Some are real, many have been "created" after the fact.  

@KEY ISSUES Comics Which is why I said I am surprised CGC grades them at all, because if done well it is not really possible to know which is which.  The "errors" supposedly exist because the foil was coming off on many copies due to the glue being poorly applied, or not applied at all, the foil has continued to flake off on copies over the years due to the cheap /poorly applied glue, this book obviously exists in ultra mass quantities and is cheap enough to try this with.  I have personally seen copies where I could lift the edge of the foil off with just my fingertip.  I am always leery when I see the copies with foil still remaining.  The totally black ones where the foil looks more likely to never have been there at all are the only ones I would trust (and even then, you really just wouldn't know for sure).

-J.

Try it, and post the video. 

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Even Overstreet (and Wizard back in the day) acknowledged these were being faked.  This is nothing new, even if it has apparently been forgotten.  

-J.

Proof?

I remember something about actual counterfeit copies being made and mentioned in Wizard, but that's not what you're talking about now.

Not that I doubt that books like this can be manipulated, but to outright claim the majority (and all the White/Golds) are is :screwy:

23 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Proof?

I remember something about actual counterfeit copies being made and mentioned in Wizard, but that's not what you're talking about now.

Not that I doubt that books like this can be manipulated, but to outright claim the majority (and all the White/Golds) are is :screwy:

Not sure that the term "counterfeit" would apply. I mean, it's a legitimate copy of the book. And the copies without the foil are due to problems with the printing. If one of the problems is that the foil comes off easily, it's still a legit copy of the book. It just makes the departure from the intended result of the printing process more numerous.

Immortal Hulk 2 Zaffino variant just eclipsed a new record.  A 9.8 hit $760 on eBay.   The story and art is great which is contributing to the euphoria.  Where this goes, nobody knows but it nice to know that the attention is on the story, which it deserves.

19 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure that the term "counterfeit" would apply. I mean, it's a legitimate copy of the book. And the copies without the foil are due to problems with the printing. If one of the problems is that the foil comes off easily, it's still a legit copy of the book. It just makes the departure from the intended result of the printing process more numerous.

No, there were actual counterfeits made (IIRC).

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Try it, and post the video. 

Why ?

Even Overstreet (and Wizard back in the day) acknowledged these were being faked.  This is nothing new, even if it has apparently been forgotten.  

-J.

Because I don't believe you, and your "theory" doesn't match up with the example you cited. I daresay, most other folks reading this don't believe you, either. 

So...here's your chance to prove...finally, after all these years....everyone wrong.

:popcorn:

10 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Because I don't believe you, and your "theory" doesn't match up with the example you cited. I daresay, most other folks reading this don't believe you, either. 

So...here's your chance to prove...finally, after all these years....everyone wrong.

:popcorn:

Agreed.

Let's see some type of evidence Jaydog, this is your chance to improve on that 0% credibility you've worked so hard to achieve.