• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Brock said:

I snagged a Y The Last Man #4 out of a dollar box yesterday, and was surprised to find that a number of recent ebay sales were in the $25 to $35 range.

It also seemed that #2, #3 and #5 were edging up, though prices vary. I knew #1 was climbing, but had not picked up on these.

It also struck me in looking at completed sales that while there are many Y trades available, and a few slabbed copies, there are not many raw copies.

Does this suggest that supply is fairly limited?  Could this drive prices fairly rapidly as the TV show develops?

I've not had a hard time finding copies (#1 is a bit tougher).  I just think people are storing or holding books right now to see how things go with the show.

1 hour ago, Brock said:

I snagged a Y The Last Man #4 out of a dollar box yesterday, and was surprised to find that a number of recent ebay sales were in the $25 to $35 range.

It also seemed that #2, #3 and #5 were edging up, though prices vary. I knew #1 was climbing, but had not picked up on these.

It also struck me in looking at completed sales that while there are many Y trades available, and a few slabbed copies, there are not many raw copies.

Does this suggest that supply is fairly limited?  Could this drive prices fairly rapidly as the TV show develops?

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I've not had a hard time finding copies (#1 is a bit tougher).  I just think people are storing or holding books right now to see how things go with the show.

Show was supposed to be airing on FX soon. Was rumored to have just been cancelled.

31 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Show was supposed to be airing on FX soon. Was rumored to have just been cancelled.

The show runners were fired but it's still a go for next year.

50 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What's really odd is the difference in price between cover a and b of naomi 1.

I backed the wrong horse and bought quite a few cover b. Win some lose some. 

I still like it better lol.

I agree. i have both covers but the variant is nicer and i think the variant will take off soon.  I would bet that there are less printings of the variant than the normal cover, especially with 2nd printings and more being done with the normal cover

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

What's really odd is the difference in price between cover a and b of naomi 1.

I backed the wrong horse and bought quite a few cover b. Win some lose some. 

I still like it better lol.

12 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

I agree. i have both covers but the variant is nicer and i think the variant will take off soon.  I would bet that there are less printings of the variant than the normal cover, especially with 2nd printings and more being done with the normal cover

The variant was the one that started the price creep. It was selling for $50 until everyone caught on and listed their copies. There is no doubt there are less copies of it.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

The variant was the one that started the price creep. It was selling for $50 until everyone caught on and listed their copies. There is no doubt there are less copies of it.

Thanks for the info....i wasnt paying attention to naomi until i heard about the craze for cover a.  I still love the variant and the story is pretty good.  Im all in on this character, not to speculate on, but to see where she takes the dc universe 

Personally, I prefer the A cover to Naomi #1, but just slightly. What makes it more surprising to me though (the difference in price) is that I would imagine there were fewer Bs ordered than the main cover. However, when it comes to the DC A/B covers, some B covers seem to be more plentiful (like when Artgerm does a B variant).

A few weeks ago, I said I'd not sell a Naomi #1 until it hit $50. Then it hit $50, and I said "when it hits $70"... now I'm not so sure if I'll even sell if it hits $100 raw. Just call it a hunch, I think this is a true modern key.

22 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Personally, I prefer the A cover to Naomi #1, but just slightly. What makes it more surprising to me though (the difference in price) is that I would imagine there were fewer Bs ordered than the main cover. However, when it comes to the DC A/B covers, some B covers seem to be more plentiful (like when Artgerm does a B variant).

A few weeks ago, I said I'd not sell a Naomi #1 until it hit $50. Then it hit $50, and I said "when it hits $70"... now I'm not so sure if I'll even sell if it hits $100 raw. Just call it a hunch, I think this is a true modern key.

Same thing with Teen Titans 12 (1st Batman Who Laughs) ... I anticipated that the B cover was going to be the "it" book, but it sells for 1/2 what the A cover sells for.  I think this demonstrates to some degree who is buying these books at these prices and their level of experience.  I get that the A cover of Naomi is the better artwork and that the A cover of the TT book depicts the BWL, but historically we've seen shorter print run variants see prices that far exceeded A covers regardless of the factors that these two books have going for them.  It's an interesting phenomenon and certainly something that keeps the hobby exciting for me.  I kind of like it when I don't see a trend coming.  It reminds me that I'm always a student of the comic game.  :preach:

Edited by Nico Esq

6 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Same thing with Teen Titans 12 (1st Batman Who Laughs) ... I anticipated that the B cover was going to be the it book, but it sells for 1/2 what the A cover sells for.  I think this demonstrates to some degree who is buying these books at these prices and there level of experience.  I get that the A cover of Naomi is the better artwork and that the A cover of the TT book depicts the BWL, but historically we've seen shorter print run variants see prices that far exceeded A covers regardless of the factors that these two books have going for them.  It's an interesting phenomenon and certainly something that keeps the hobby exciting for me.  I kind of like it when I don't see a trend coming.  It reminds me that I'm always a student of the comic game.  :preach:

As well with Thanos #13 (Cosmic Ghost Rider)... I got the 1:10 variant and it sells for half of what the regular cover does.

6 minutes ago, BishopT said:

As well with Thanos #13 (Cosmic Ghost Rider)... I got the 1:10 variant and it sells for half of what the regular cover does.

In that books defense, the Albuquerque variant is the one to have. it's a variant and doesn't have Cosmic Ghost Rider on it. 

20 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

Same thing with Teen Titans 12 (1st Batman Who Laughs) ... I anticipated that the B cover was going to be the "it" book, but it sells for 1/2 what the A cover sells for.  I think this demonstrates to some degree who is buying these books at these prices and their level of experience.  I get that the A cover of Naomi is the better artwork and that the A cover of the TT book depicts the BWL, but historically we've seen shorter print run variants see prices that far exceeded A covers regardless of the factors that these two books have going for them.  It's an interesting phenomenon and certainly something that keeps the hobby exciting for me.  I kind of like it when I don't see a trend coming.  It reminds me that I'm always a student of the comic game.  :preach:

Do we know the print run on the B cover of TT12? I remember when it came out, everyone was buying that one up. I bought a bunch of A covers since BMWL was actually on it.

Also, ability to grade is somewhat taken into account. For example, I think the TT12 A cover is much harder to get in 9.8 than B cover. Of my B covers, almost all came back 9.8. I only got a few 9.8 of TT12 A. The others were 9.6 and 9.4's.

And then you think about the lenticular Thanos #13, you would assume it's lower print than the others but I don't know. It sells for what, $15 on a good day? Admittedly, it's a hideous cover and the lenticular covers Marvel put out at that time are of poor quality.

13 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Do we know the print run on the B cover of TT12? I remember when it came out, everyone was buying that one up. I bought a bunch of A covers since BMWL was actually on it.

I don't think anyone "knows" the print run of any books (but that's another longer rant that I do NOT want to get people started on), BUT B covers are generally not ordered as heavily because retailers (not all but shockingly many) don't order them in equal quantity.  I think some of that is convenience, some of that is because for periods of time B covers didn't count towards ratio/incentive/qualifier variants and for a couple other reasons.  I think it's a safe bet that on books like TT12 and Naomi 1 there are significantly fewer copies of the B cover.  That being said rarity and scarcity are not the same thing.  For whatever reason the demand for these A covers is much greater than the supply even though the B cover is certainly more rare and for that reason the price of the B cover is not as much as the price of the A cover.  Again, when you have newer collectors/speculators buying up these books, they are not going to be as aware as more experienced collectors/speculators of these factors.  I think this is why you see people like  fastballspecial (a more experienced collector who is generally aware that B covers are more rare than A covers for the reasons above) picking the wrong book.  Sometimes it pays to make emotional choices in the comic game because the vast majority of collectors (myself included) are making emotional decisions even when we think we are making logical ones.   lol

Edited by Nico Esq

I don't know if he so much as picked the wrong book....he just didn't pick the one that made the most high dollar sales (so far).  

Puzzling conversation though.  Other than one of the great DC B covers that clearly outsells the A cover, almost every recent hot book (I mean contents hot), the A cover is the winner.  I'm not talking about ratio variants even, just A and B covers.  God Country, TT12, Naomi, Thanos 13, Spider-Gwen 24, etc, etc, etc.  Why is everyone so puzzled by this, when this is clearly an established trend.