• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, 500Club said:
20 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

So we bleed the buyer instead? That logic makes no sense. 

That whole viewpoint of undercutting the market is ridiculous. Its a free market for a reason.

Yup, and if the market is organically strong, one underpriced copy will be sucked up immediately, with no real effect on prevailing price.

Yes and who said you have to agree to sell it. I pass up a lot of low ballers and I use auto decline as well to bypass many.
A break on price is a psychological feeling. All I am saying is it has worked well for me for 20 years. You think people don't negotiate
at conventions? Happens all the time.

If someone thinks that I am pricing my ebay listings too cheaply, PM me here and I will sell them to you for even less! That way you remove the competition and get a book that you believe that you can flip in the process. 

I don't ever look at what books are listed for, only what they have sold for. I don't spend enough time on it to actually undercut anyone. But I would rather move more widgets than make more money per widget sold. Rinse wash and repeat is my preference. Besides, there are so many factors that go into selling a book, even two in "equal" grades...wrap, specific defects, how much the seller has into it, etc. No two books are alike unless they are fresh out of the Diamond box. If you aren't selling your hot books you should look to your own sales practices for blame, not others.

Edited by Bird

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

This whole concept of undercutting the market has risen the last few years from the influx of new sellers. 
Let them undercut me I don't really care. I sell my copies and move inventory. 

What new sellers don't realize is customer acquisition and inventory movement are much more important then
making a few extra dollars when you already making $20-25 on a book. Short term sightedness and just 
being a greedy :censored: hurts more then they realize.

Pack your books that are VG like they are a NM copy and the buyer will try buying your more expensive books
the next time around. Try to bleed him to death on one book and you see your sales be very little except for the 
sucker that paid the bleed price and many times he wont come back. 

Giant Size Defenders 3 is the perfect example. I have sold A Ton of that book this past two weeks from $40-150 
an issue. I paid very little for them and I am having no issues selling them. I am not bleeding my customers for 
the bleed price and I am moving a lot of inventory at very good profit margins. While the seller who prices his 
book above the market has their copy still sitting there while I have sold a dozen.

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing. But there's also nothing wrong with not doing that. 

In general (not relating to your strategy) there's no good way or bad way. 

Some people wanna move inventory and make money. Some people wanna sit on inventory and make even more money. 

I have a friend who's buying entire collections for big keys. He'll spend 4-6 grand on an average collection. Fish out the keys press grade and make about 6-8 k on those. Then he'll sell the dry collection to one client for 25/long one.

thats a great strategy, even tho the guy that buys from him ALWAYS finds big keys in there.. and plenty of them! Enough to make his investment well worth it. So he press and grades those and makes a killing ROI and everyone's happy  

not a good strategy and not a bad one  simply one that works great for the individual 

I finally succumbed to capitalistic pressures and sold my last MCP6 for $60

I could've held on to all and see how it played out as my basic instinct was telling me. I could've drove a bit south when they came out and gotten 4 more copies that were reserved to me instead of going to the beach that day. 

But whatever man, it was a fun win

16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

This whole concept of undercutting the market has risen the last few years from the influx of new sellers. 
Let them undercut me I don't really care. I sell my copies and move inventory. 

What new sellers don't realize is customer acquisition and inventory movement are much more important then
making a few extra dollars when you already making $20-25 on a book. Short term sightedness and just 
being a greedy :censored: hurts more then they realize.

Pack your books that are VG like they are a NM copy and the buyer will try buying your more expensive books
the next time around. Try to bleed him to death on one book and you see your sales be very little except for the 
sucker that paid the bleed price and many times he wont come back. 

Giant Size Defenders 3 is the perfect example. I have sold A Ton of that book this past two weeks from $40-150 
an issue. I paid very little for them and I am having no issues selling them. I am not bleeding my customers for 
the bleed price and I am moving a lot of inventory at very good profit margins. While the seller who prices his 
book above the market has their copy still sitting there while I have sold a dozen.

I have no idea what the market is on this book. All i know is that my cost on it was less than zero. The market is what the market is.

Edited by FlyingDonut

16 hours ago, Bird said:

If someone thinks that I am pricing my ebay listings too cheaply, PM me here and I will sell them to you for even less! That way you remove the competition and get a book that you believe that you can flip in the process. 

I don't ever look at what books are listed for, only what they have sold for. I don't spend enough time on it to actually undercut anyone. But I would rather move more widgets than make more money per widget sold. Rinse wash and repeat is my preference. Besides, there are so many factors that go into selling a book, even two in "equal" grades...wrap, specific defects, how much the seller has into it, etc. No two books are alike unless they are fresh out of the Diamond box. If you aren't selling your hot books you should look to your own sales practices for blame, not others.

Moving more widgets is the winning strategy in the long run. Never sit on inventory.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What...? Someone paid you to take the book..?

:whatthe:

Was a part of a collection buy where I have already made a full 100% profit on the entire thing, including all fees and associated costs. Assigned cost to anything remaining is now zero.

Just now, FlyingDonut said:
6 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What...? Someone paid you to take the book..?

:whatthe:

Was a part of a collection buy where I have already made a full 100% profit on the entire thing, including all fees and associated costs. Assigned cost to anything remaining is now zero.

Just giving you a hard time. ;)

27 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Moving more widgets is the winning strategy in the long run. Never sit on inventory.

a friend and I subscribe to the 30/60/90 rule. 

our goal is to move as much of the inventory at 30 days

anything at 60 days needs to be repriced

at 90 days, we need to move on - sell immediately (minimize loss)

Now not everything I buy falls under this rule. But I try to recoup most of my money under this idea. It's easier to buy something if I have the available money/space for it.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I wonder how many people couldn't buy the book who just wanted to read it. 

hm

At least one, I would have sunk the $20-$25 but I wanted to be sure it was NM or higher condition.

Luckily there is a TPB coming out for issues 1-6 and a 2nd print already slated just of #6.