• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

I sold a Thor 1 today within 3 hours of listing, holding off on my GOT 25s until I can find the rest of mine (I legit thought that book was a bust after I had hoarded a few to no action for years). I’m a big Kate Bishop fan and I sold a few of each YA 1 and YA Presents 6s when they spiked earlier, so at this point I’m considering them a hold. Don’t know, but I think this is an important wait and see moment for a lot of these books. However, the high print run of 2014 Thor is something to consider, when these start to get press on the spec sites and apps we’ll have a better idea.

Edited by BishopT

28 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I long figured female Thor is dead in the water. 

I think most did. I thought it was just part of the "girl power" movement that was happening in marvel at that moment.

I have to say I was very surprised about the announcement but then again disappointed in myself for not seeing that the MCU would follow suit with that same movement. 🤷

On 7/21/2019 at 10:05 AM, maidenmate91 said:

Thor #1 2014 is on fire. *First Lady Thor. Also What if? #10 is also scorching again. I wish I could of gotten in early on the #1 variants, as most of them were cheap! 

If you look hard enough (not eBay) you can still get lucky. I've found some Hastings and Newbury variants for "pre-announcement" prices. Still some available too.

https://philymancomics.ecrater.com/p/22019829/thor-1-hastings-variant-cover-2014-vf

Edited by Shoomanfoo
Typo

41 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

If you look hard enough (not eBay) you can still get lucky. I've found some Hastings and Newbury variants for "pre-announcement" prices. Still some available too.

https://philymancomics.ecrater.com/p/22019829/thor-1-hastings-variant-cover-2014-vf

You need to be careful shopping on strange sites. Tread lightly.

6 minutes ago, maidenmate91 said:

You need to be careful shopping on strange sites. Tread lightly.

I certainly agree with your statement though I have always had luck on that particular one especially with comics.

If fact book has been sold since post.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

17 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Having Portman play Thor should help.

She's a very solid actress and I think that will help the Thor franchise with regards to these books keeping their value down the road as this franchise should do well with her at the helm.

I don't disagree, but I am quite happy to have cashed out on the announcement. :whee:

Hopefully it will help other books in the title. hm

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Having Portman play Thor should help.

She's a very solid actress and I think that will help the Thor franchise with regards to these books keeping their value down the road as this franchise should do well with her at the helm.

I take it you haven't read the comments re: her acting &/or a female Thor on any "geek"-minded sites, or over in Comics General.

40 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I take it you haven't read the comments re: her acting &/or a female Thor on any "geek"-minded sites, or over in Comics General.

With three Academy award nominations with one winning for Black Swan. She has also won two Golden Globe awards and a few other British awards so she can act if she wants too.

Though she has been very lackluster in the past Thor films maybe this will change with her taking a bigger leading role.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

On 7/21/2019 at 1:40 PM, darkstar said:

Actually Thor #1 isn't a first appearance at all as it is neither the first cameo nor a full appearance. The story arc starts in God of Thunder. TGot #25 has Foster as Thor in 1 panel and 1 full page spread. Thor #1 depicts the character in 1 full page spread and on the cover. 

I figure it this way:

TGOT 25 1st Jane Foster as Thor Cameo

Thor 1 1st Jane Foster as Thor Full Appearance

Thor 8 1st Jane Foster Named as Thor

What If 10..... great cover+name

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

I agree with @Shoomanfoo - she’s a very talented  actress. Not every role is a home run but I do feel she has great potential in this role.

21 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I figure it this way:

TGOT 25 1st Jane Foster as Thor Cameo

Thor 1 1st Jane Foster as Thor Full Appearance

Thor 8 1st Jane Foster Named as Thor

What If 10..... great cover+name

There is nothing within the pages of Thor #1 that separate it from what has already been shown in God of Thunder #25 and the character is shown less in Thor #1 than in GoT #25. The first full appearance is either God of Thunder #25 or Thor #2.

30 minutes ago, darkstar said:

There is nothing within the pages of Thor #1 that separate it from what has already been shown in God of Thunder #25 and the character is shown less in Thor #1 than in GoT #25. The first full appearance is either God of Thunder #25 or Thor #2.

The market is still talking. :grin:

ETA: Okay so pulling them both out and comparing, TGOT25 was a "telling of the story" rather than the story itself. Wouldn't the "telling of the story" be the cameo and the story itself be the 1st full?

Or then technically wouldn't "Thordis" be the first Jane Foster/Thor?

Edited by jcjames

57 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:
3 hours ago, manetteska said:

I agree with @Shoomanfoo - she’s a very talented  actress. Not every role is a home run but I do feel she has great potential in this role.

I wasn’t  saying you were incorrect. Just so much knee-jerk nerd reaction as usual. Though it’s very interesting the actress chosen appears to be getting more venom than having a female Thor. 

12 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I wasn’t  saying you were incorrect. Just so much knee-jerk nerd reaction as usual. Though it’s very interesting the actress chosen appears to be getting more venom than having a female Thor. 

...and the reactions are valid because of her flat acting and complaining about the part.

Just hopefully she will step up to the plate now that she got what she wanted.

I want her to knock it out the park. I'm a big movie fan and I want her to wow me!

Edited by Shoomanfoo

37 minutes ago, jcjames said:

The market is still talking. :grin:

ETA: Okay so pulling them both out and comparing, TGOT25 was a "telling of the story" rather than the story itself. Wouldn't the "telling of the story" be the cameo and the story itself be the 1st full?

Or then technically wouldn't "Thordis" be the first Jane Foster/Thor?

If you read my posts from the beginning I'm not addressing the value of the books. I am speaking to the content of the books so that other people can reach their own conclusions. Cameo/full appearance speaks to the extent to which a character is first depicted in sequential art within the context of a story. The Jane Foster iteration of Thor is depicted LESS in a LATER book - Thor #1 - than she is in God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a cameo designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in the earlier God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a full appearance designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in God of Thunder #25. 

The fact that Thor #1 is selling for more should surprise no one, as it is a #1 issue, and the cover image has been attached to every article about Marvel's movie announcements that has been published by every major and minor publication. 

The What If book is not a modern, thus I am not discussing it here.

17 minutes ago, darkstar said:

If you read my posts from the beginning I'm not addressing the value of the books. I am speaking to the content of the books so that other people can reach their own conclusions. Cameo/full appearance speaks to the extent to which a character is first depicted in sequential art within the context of a story. The Jane Foster iteration of Thor is depicted LESS in a LATER book - Thor #1 - than she is in God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a cameo designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in the earlier God of Thunder #25. If Thor #1 satisfies all conditions to earn a full appearance designation in your opinion...all of those conditions were already met in God of Thunder #25. 

The fact that Thor #1 is selling for more should surprise no one, as it is a #1 issue, and the cover image has been attached to every article about Marvel's movie announcements that has been published by every major and minor publication. 

I was referring more to context of the story in TGOT25.

Jane/Thor was not "in" the story, she was in a story being told in that issue, (like Deacon Frost "appearance" in the currently warming ToD13... again not a modern but a valid comparison).

Is the brief telling of a story that includes a new character the 1st full appearance of that character, even if that character has no interaction with the current story, characters or events (other than being heard about) in that issue?

Edited by jcjames

24 minutes ago, darkstar said:

Valid points and there are more than a few very popular books in which I'm perplexed about the designations of  "cameo and first full".

Thing is at the end of the day I've learned to accept the politics of it all.

Market literally plays a big part and that's how it seems to go.

I can resist all I wish and it will change nothing.

1 hour ago, darkstar said:

No offense and maybe I’m wrong but isn’t this the thread to discuss the value rather than the content? Isn’t it the moderns heating up on eBay thread specifically to talk about which books are the most valuable? I don’t mind hearing your take on the cameo/appearance debate, but perhaps this may be why people didn’t understand your intent in this specific thread.