• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Not going to screencap, but the most recent SOLD eBay auction for Thor (2014) #1 was for $58 + $4 shipping.  This among a bunch of $40 to $50 sales.  Those seem inflated to me.

That must've been mine . . . lol (A real outlier)

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:34 PM, manetteska said:

I wasn’t  saying you were incorrect. Just so much knee-jerk nerd reaction as usual. Though it’s very interesting the actress chosen appears to be getting more venom than having a female Thor. 

I do not think I am knee jerking - maybe you are. (I'm not sure when bashing others because they don't agree with geek minded sites became in vogue or acceptable around here :foryou:)

I haven't read any of the comments on he geek minded sites as you call them.

I prefer to use my own judgement and not that of others.

Maybe I have only seen her better roles and have been lucky enough to miss her subpar efforts.

Either way, I still stand by my original post that I think she will do a very good job as Thor.

Time will tell.

33 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I do not think I am knee jerking - maybe you are. (I'm not sure when bashing others because they don't agree with geek minded sites became in vogue or acceptable around here :foryou:)

Maybe I have only seen her better roles and have been lucky enough to miss her subpar efforts.

Either way, I still stand by my original post that I think she will do a very good job as Thor.

Time will tell.

Agreed. Also I remember a lot of "geek-minded sites" were bashing Brie Larson being chosen for Captain Marvel... particularly after the trailer dropped. And I believe I saw it passed the 1 billion mark in box office? I take what "geek-minded" sites say with a grain of salt. Portman will be fine, the director is solid and I expect the movie to do pretty well. 

47 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:
On 7/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, manetteska said:

I wasn’t  saying you were incorrect. Just so much knee-jerk nerd reaction as usual. Though it’s very interesting the actress chosen appears to be getting more venom than having a female Thor. 

Time will tell.

I think things are getting misconstrued -- either by my poor quoting, my poor word choices, or other -- in our back-and-forth.

What I'm trying to say: I believe Portman to be a good actress, overall. I give every Marvel movie a chance based on their track record over 20+ films. However, many geek-minded sites (and their commentors) immediately trashed her AND the choice of a female Thor without anything beyond those 2 bullet points.

Edited by manetteska

22 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

This thread is so profoundly painful to read.  Many years ago, it was my favorite ... 

Nico is my Spirit animal...Sometimes..lol  GET ALL THREE Lets the Fate of the Sales determine which was a good buy.  (honestly I plan on selling my Ribic Variant and What if after I send them in to get graded and buy a Decent JIM 84 but that is me.  )

2 hours ago, Nico Esq said:

This thread is so profoundly painful to read.  Many years ago, it was my favorite ... 

Ahhhh

the good ol days

when boardies used to argue about print runs and what determines them instead of character 1st appearances 

wait....

13 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Ahhhh

the good ol days

when boardies used to argue about print runs and what determines them instead of character 1st appearances 

wait....

Go further back even further to a time when people talked about books and news on here instead of in private google plus hangouts.  

3 hours ago, Nico Esq said:
3 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Ahhhh

the good ol days

wait....

Go further back even further to a time when people talked about books and news on here instead of in private google plus hangouts.  

That's the new way to collect and speculate. There is a portion of our hobby that needs to feed of itself till it dies. I just worry that it has
artificially inflated the hobby to the point that they it cants sustain itself without the wild speculation and variants that are fueling the hobby
now.

I just cant wrap my head around why a character appearance in a movie/tv show all of a sudden makes it a hot book?

Shouldnt the first appearance stand on its own and be why the book is hot?

Did the first appearance of iron man or capt america or spiderman get such rabid attention? and have they maintained any price gains?

File these under "things that dont keep me up at night"

7 minutes ago, Avi said:

I just cant wrap my head around why a character appearance in a movie/tv show all of a sudden makes it a hot book?

Did the first appearance of iron man or capt america or spiderman get such rabid attention? and have they maintained any price gains?

Yes, the first appearance of Cap, Iron-Man and Spider-Man all shot up with movie successes.

Look at ToS 39, in 2006 before Iron-Man movie trailer the top sale for a CGC 5.0 was $1,325 according to GPA in 2008 after the movie released it jumped to $2,209, and in 2012 it jumped big again after the Avengers movie smashed all the records to $3,700, several Avengers and Iron-man movies later and in 2019 it now has topped out at $9,000

The big difference is that these books had value to comic book collectors before a movie came out, but there is no denying that the movies have made those books way hotter than they would have been had the MCU not existed.

26 minutes ago, Avi said:

Millions of people going and seeing a great/successful movie (or watching a TV show) adds focus to the character, adds the perception that the character's value is going up and adds new fans who are just now experiencing the character and want to connect to it somehow by spending money. Black Panther is probably one of the best recent examples.