• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

An appearance of an interesting character in a successful movie will naturally cause a demand and, among other many branches of merchandising and marketing developments, will result in some monetary gains with publication history. But the way the Planet spins now is that optioning a character for a movie/tv show legitimizes hype and causes speculators to invest in it BEFORE it hatches, therefore "securing" an investment. But this system has been abused so drastically with speculators that no one cares to think what they are investing in any more. 

This new method of thinking is what changed comic book collecting as we know it. Random books chosen by speculators and discussed online will increase in value dramatically sometimes even prior to having a movie date set into place. 

A lot of collectors blame hyped rumors caused by spec sites/blogs. 

But the ones you really need to point your fingers at are sellers participating in that activity. Once you raise the price on a book which was hyped by a rumor, you are supporting this method of thinking. An inflated sale is actually the ONLY factor that creates hype. 

Of course big auction books would be the originators of setting the price to begin with, but ALL SELLERS PARTICIPATING IN INFLATING A BIN ARE PART OF THIS AS MUCH AS THE SPEC SITE DISCUSSING IT. 

Youre promoting the hype by sales 

We are all guilty of doing this. If I don't bump the price on a book, someone else will. It's a "don't hate the player, hate the game" philosophy 

But till this system changes, let us not "blame" people for spreading rumors and other wrong doings. Let us not question why this is happening or why that is happening.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:42 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I'm getting more and more irritated now that I think about this. The plot hole is staggering.

Marvel has walking God's, , death worshiping Titans and a kid who got zapped by a radioactive bug and this is the plot hole that goes a bridge too far?

Looks like Farmhand was just optioned for an AMC series.  It's probably not on most peoples radars (though it should be as the comic has been a blast to read).  There were a few #1 variants in addition to the standard cover, but the limited Ashcan release of #1 that Rob took to conventions to promote the book might be the rare get if the TV show is successful at all.  Still a long way off though.  My 2c

https://www.newsarama.com/46267-amc-harvests-rob-guillory-s-farmhand-for-tv-show.html

31 minutes ago, Sooners151 said:

Looks like Farmhand was just optioned for an AMC series.  It's probably not on most peoples radars (though it should be as the comic has been a blast to read).  There were a few #1 variants in addition to the standard cover, but the limited Ashcan release of #1 that Rob took to conventions to promote the book might be the rare get if the TV show is successful at all.  Still a long way off though.  My 2c

https://www.newsarama.com/46267-amc-harvests-rob-guillory-s-farmhand-for-tv-show.html

Boy somebody last year ranted and raved about how good this book was. That guy bought a TON of copies and still has them. :acclaim:

Read the book I wasn't wrong its going to make a great show.

Edited by fastballspecial

11 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Boy somebody last year ranted and raved about how good this book was. That guy bought a TON of copies and still has them. :acclaim:

I agree that it's a fun read, but at the same time I've been saying the same thing about Chew for years... I love Guillory's art style, which is why I picked up this book in the first place. I'm still waiting on some version of Chew's many iterations of potential movies/shows to pan out... lol. 

27 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

I agree that it's a fun read, but at the same time I've been saying the same thing about Chew for years... I love Guillory's art style, which is why I picked up this book in the first place. I'm still waiting on some version of Chew's many iterations of potential movies/shows to pan out... lol. 

Again way too early, but if Farmhand has any success as a show, Chew shouldn't be far behind.  

1 minute ago, Sooners151 said:

Again way too early, but if Farmhand has any success as a show, Chew shouldn't be far behind.  

Agree, I've learned long ago not to get too worked up just because of an option a lot of things have to fall in place for it to see the light of day still. But, I hope it works out, not just because I have several copies of #1 :banana:... but also, Rob is a genuinely nice guy. I've met him at cons a couple times and had him do a sketch for me which was way way cheap. He also sells original art pages from his works like Farmhand on his site if anyone is interested (they're also fairly cheap ~$200). 

In any case, copies of #1 are flying off e-bay right now for $20 a pop. 

54 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Agree, I've learned long ago not to get too worked up just because of an option a lot of things have to fall in place for it to see the light of day still. But, I hope it works out, not just because I have several copies of #1 :banana:... but also, Rob is a genuinely nice guy. I've met him at cons a couple times and had him do a sketch for me which was way way cheap. He also sells original art pages from his works like Farmhand on his site if anyone is interested (they're also fairly cheap ~$200). 

In any case, copies of #1 are flying off e-bay right now for $20 a pop. 

I agree, he is one of the nicest guys in the business.  I wanted to support him when he was coming out with this book, so I picked up the original artwork for 2 promo pieces he was doing pre-release.  He eventually turned them into variant #1 covers.  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, wiparker824 said:
1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Chew and Farmhand are no where near the same book. The whole premise of Chew is just too far fetched.

7 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Chew and Farmhand are no where near the same book. The whole premise of Chew is just too far fetched.

Well, no they're not the same book but both seem pretty fictional and far-fetched to me and the co-creator of Chew is the creator of Farmhand... But I also don't think being far-fetched prevents a show from being successful -- zombies, vampires, werewolves are also all pretty far-fetched IMO, but there's been some successful shows made about these. Come to think about it, a guy getting bit by a radio-active spider and getting superpowers is also extremely far-fetched, but it's also doing pretty well at the box office these days. 

In any case, my main point was that the option still has a long way to go. Chew was optioned by Showtime and had show-runners and a production team behind it, and it fizzled out. Then had an animated movie that got to the point of casting and didn't go anywhere, and last I saw was working on a new tv deal? So, while exciting news, it's still got a long way to go. But like I said earlier, I hope it works out, and even if it doesn't that book is still heating up just off this news.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, kevhtx said:

Millions of people going and seeing a great/successful movie (or watching a TV show) adds focus to the character, adds the perception that the character's value is going up and adds new fans who are just now experiencing the character and want to connect to it somehow by spending money. Black Panther is probably one of the best recent examples.

I think this is mostly correct, but there's a "consumer sheep mentality" that has to feed into this as well, specifically the notion among speculators that if they wanted, they could sell the comic book in question for more than they bought it.  I think this mentality is flawed and this most recent example (Mighty Thor (2014) #1) may also be the fastest bubble to burst.  The 1978 Hulk TV show didn't cause Hulk back issues to inflate in value, neither did the horrible 70's Spider-Man TV show.  Amazing Fantasy #15 spiked years before any of the successful movies came out (to include the Tobey McGuire run).

Thor (2014) #1 was not well-received by readers, and I don't know that movie success will change that in the long term.  Ultimately, anyone who just spent $60 on a copy is going to have to find a longer-term collector willing to pay that much or more down the road for the price to be sustained.

In short, the whole MCU == greater prices for source material is a new phenomenon, and I'm not completely willing to bet that it will last in the long run.

40 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Thor (2014) #1 was not well-received by readers

I don't know about that. 4 printings sold out years before a movie announcement. The Jane Thor/ Odinson story arc was fully developed leading to their new incarnations of Valkyrie and King Thor. I think fans like Dr. Jane Forster even if a few had a problem with a female being Thor. It's hard to completely judge how well a character is received by comic forums and social media which are just a microcosm of comic collectors.

Thor (2014) #1 is significant regardless if it is a first appearance or not. In this issue Mjolnir chose a female to be worthy of being Thor when it rejected Odinson, Odin and everyone else. She becomes Thor in #1 (2014). In Thor:God of Thunder #25 we see the granddaughters of King Thor open up a chained book that recounts a story of a time in the past when there was need for a new Thor. It doesn't identify who the female Thor character is in the two images in that issue. Readers now know, retrospectively, that in TGOT #25 and Thor #1 2014 it's Dr. Jane Foster but it was not revealed when these issues were released. It's a flashback for King Thor's granddaughters but a foreshadow for readers. TGOT #25 is more of a preview of a new female Thor to come. Thor #1 2014 is when a new female Thor actually appears in continuity in cameo(in shadows) and on the cover. Thor 2014 #2 would be the first full appearance of the female Thor. Thor 2014 #8 is the issue where the new Thor is revealed to be Dr. Jane Foster. This issue would be more relevant to movie speculation in my opinion. There are other significant events besides first appearances that readers and fans like to collect. How much they want to pay for these issues that's for the market to decide.

1 hour ago, RonS2112 said:

In short, the whole MCU == greater prices for source material is a new phenomenon, and I'm not completely willing to bet that it will last in the long run.

Collecting in general has changed though over these past 30 years. Not just comics. For plentiful books, you may be right, but the core superheroes and villains are pretty safe bets. First appearances and keys. I think pretty cover art books and many moderns may fall into the fads category with a few exceptions. Thus, why this thread is popular for flipping.

The business has definitely changed, but what the MCU (DC to a certain extent as well) has done is create many, many new fans. So, as certain first appearances and keys hibernate in many collector's PCs, they will mostly rise over time (with maybe some slight dips along the way).

Since Hollywood figured out the cash cow of these worlds and characters, they will continue to find ways to get these successful characters into movies, TV and other consumer media/products. Some may go dormant for brief periods, but you can be sure they will always reappear at some point.

9 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

I don't know about that. 4 printings sold out years before a movie announcement. The Jane Thor/ Odinson story arc was fully developed leading to their new incarnations of Valkyrie and King Thor. I think fans like Dr. Jane Forster even if a few had a problem with a female being Thor. It's hard to completely judge how well a character is received by comic forums and social media which are just a microcosm of comic collectors.

Thor (2014) #1 is significant regardless if it is a first appearance or not. In this issue Mjolnir chose a female to be worthy of being Thor when it rejected Odinson, Odin and everyone else. She becomes Thor in #1 (2014). In Thor:God of Thunder #25 we see the granddaughters of King Thor open up a chained book that recounts a story of a time in the past when there was need for a new Thor. It doesn't identify who the female Thor character is in the two images in that issue. Readers now know, retrospectively, that in TGOT #25 and Thor #1 2014 it's Dr. Jane Foster but it was not revealed when these issues were released. It's a flashback for King Thor's granddaughters but a foreshadow for readers. TGOT #25 is more of a preview of a new female Thor to come. Thor #1 2014 is when a new female Thor actually appears in continuity in cameo(in shadows) and on the cover. Thor 2014 #2 would be the first full appearance of the female Thor. Thor 2014 #8 is the issue where the new Thor is revealed to be Dr. Jane Foster. This issue would be more relevant to movie speculation in my opinion. There are other significant events besides first appearances that readers and fans like to collect. How much they want to pay for these issues that's for the market to decide.

I haven't read TGOT #25. Is it possible that the female Thor pictured is a different female Thor (i.e. not Jane Foster)?

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I haven't read TGOT #25. Is it possible that the female Thor pictured is a different female Thor (i.e. not Jane Foster)?

It isn't noted. It's just the same image of the Thor that's in Thor 2014 #1. One corner panel and a splash page. At the bottom of Jason Aaron's editorial page at the end of the comic is a pic of the cover of Thor 2014 #1.

45 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

Yes, but #1s typically sell at high numbers. However how did the rest of the run do? I would wage that there was a massive drop off in sales by #3. Not to mention, #1 New Thor speculation driven numbers. 

2 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

I think this is mostly correct, but there's a "consumer sheep mentality" that has to feed into this as well, specifically the notion among speculators that if they wanted, they could sell the comic book in question for more than they bought it.  I think this mentality is flawed and this most recent example (Mighty Thor (2014) #1) may also be the fastest bubble to burst.  The 1978 Hulk TV show didn't cause Hulk back issues to inflate in value, neither did the horrible 70's Spider-Man TV show.  Amazing Fantasy #15 spiked years before any of the successful movies came out (to include the Tobey McGuire run).

Thor (2014) #1 was not well-received by readers, and I don't know that movie success will change that in the long term.  Ultimately, anyone who just spent $60 on a copy is going to have to find a longer-term collector willing to pay that much or more down the road for the price to be sustained.

Okay but you’re comparing apples and oranges. The horrible spider-man show from the 70’s was just that - a horrible show. The movies in the MCU are not horrible, in fact they are so popular that they are breaking all kinds of box office records. Are you really trying to say you expected the same price bump to AF15 from that 70’s Spider-Man show as you saw from the first Spider-Man MCU movies bump?