• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, manetteska said:

The Boys is heating up after the Prime release. Hoping to check out an episode or two tonight. 

May be getting ahead of myself but the formula for streaming shows and selling appears to be to wait for the release (and be good).

I had 2 CGC 9.8s and 4 CGC 9.6s of #1 in the boxes and it paid off well.  I've got one 9.6 left to sell this week and they will have all sold for about double what I paid to get them graded or buying them pre-graded when prices were in a lull.  they can't all be winners but it's nice when a plan works out.

21 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I had 2 CGC 9.8s and 4 CGC 9.6s of #1 in the boxes and it paid off well.  I've got one 9.6 left to sell this week and they will have all sold for about double what I paid to get them graded or buying them pre-graded when prices were in a lull.  they can't all be winners but it's nice when a plan works out.

All I have are raws. Doubt I have enough time to get them graded but all still a good profit. 

And I’m keeping this thread on track. ;)

19 hours ago, divad said:

This is not a problem. This is short-sightedness and frankly, the sense of entitlement on the buyer's side. The only case in which this may be appropriate is when the seller does it on a brand-spanking new book right off the presses. If this is what you are referring to, my apologies. A smart seller should be rewarded for his (or her) efforts.

So then, to be clear, you think the following scenario is OK....say a seller has a CGC-graded copy of Eternals #1 in 9.8.  Today, FMV for that book is about $1300.  Now that the movie has been announced, it is reasonable to expect that this book could reach $2000 by the time the movie comes out.  You're OK paying that price because of what the movie might do?

1 hour ago, RonS2112 said:

21 hours ago, divad said:

This is not a problem. This is short-sightedness and frankly, the sense of entitlement on the buyer's side. The only case in which this may be appropriate is when the seller does it on a brand-spanking new book right off the presses. If this is what you are referring to, my apologies. A smart seller should be rewarded for his (or her) efforts.

So then, to be clear, you think the following scenario is OK....say a seller has a CGC-graded copy of Eternals #1 in 9.8.  Today, FMV for that book is about $1300.  Now that the movie has been announced, it is reasonable to expect that this book could reach $2000 by the time the movie comes out.  You're OK paying that price because of what the movie might do?

People here aren’t buying on a media announcement, right?

51 minutes ago, manetteska said:

People here aren’t buying on a media announcement, right?

In general, I'd assume the average poster/reader here is well-educated on the hobby, as compared to the "average" collector, and therefore tends to avoid the herd mentality.  But clearly, given the finalized sale prices on eBay, SOMEONE is indeed buying as these (I think) inflated prices.  

I see a lot of signs -- this included -- of another bubble getting ready to burst, and those are never really good for the hobby -- at least in the short term.

2 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

lol - define "OK" 

Clearly you're new here. Do I think anything about the current market is "reasonable?" What occurs in any marketplace is by definition, economics. Reasonableness is irrelevant. I'm not the head of the Fed.:baiting:

2 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

In general, I'd assume the average poster/reader here is well-educated on the hobby, as compared to the "average" collector, and therefore tends to avoid the herd mentality.  But clearly, given the finalized sale prices on eBay, SOMEONE is indeed buying as these (I think) inflated prices.  

I see a lot of signs -- this included -- of another bubble getting ready to burst, and those are never really good for the hobby -- at least in the short term.

I’d like to know exactly what signs you’re speaking of that you’re seeing that the bubble is about to burst. The last Avengers movie is sitting at 2.8B in global box office sales right now, top grossing film of all time. If the bubble  was created by the MCU, and it is about to burst, why did so many people go to see Endgame this year? It seems more people than ever are getting into these movies and characters, and with the Disney machine backing this now — if we are inside a bubble, I’d imagine it’s got a bit of time before it bursts. I might be wrong, but I’m also not in this hobby as a way to make money to provide for my family either, so it doesn’t much matter to me if I am.

Edited by wiparker824

This comic market doesn't seem like a bubble, it's more of a game of mouse and cheese.  Speculators flock to one book (or several books), it increases in value, then when it peaks different waves of buyers and sellers move on to another as that book is dying off - and then the cycle repeats itself.  A bubble is more like everything across the board is going up as a whole, then coming down as a whole....there's tons of books today that are worth quite a bit less today than 1-3 years ago.

Edited by spreads
edit

3 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

There is no burst coming. The modern market has been slowly deflating since the curtain fell on possibility of a Sixth Gun television show. The market was insane at that point. Regarding the current status of the secondary market for moderns, there are two things that keep it going -

1. The FOMO collectors who want to brag about having a book when a show/movie gets popular ,and

2. The churn of hucksters, sports card collectors and anyone looking for a quick buck.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the level of churn. It keeps things humming along, but when it disappears, so will much of the modern secondary market. 

To provide some idea to how crazy the market was back then...a CGC 9.9 of Revival #1 sold for $1000 here on the boards.

Edited by awakeintheashes

8 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

There is no burst coming. The modern market has been slowly deflating since the curtain fell on possibility of a Sixth Gun television show. The market was insane at that point. Regarding the current status of the secondary market for moderns, there are two things that keep it going -

1. The FOMO collectors who want to brag about having a book when a show/movie gets popular ,and

2. The churn of hucksters, sports card collectors and anyone looking for a quick buck.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the level of churn. It keeps things humming along, but when it disappears, so will much of the modern secondary market. 

To provide some idea to how crazy the market was back then...a CGC 9.9 of Revival #1 sold for $1000 here on the boards.

9.9's are not really indicative of anything...revival was hot and isn't now but things are getting crazier all the time. Look at marvel comics presents 6...$60 bucks the saturday after it came out...

11 hours ago, PeterPark said:

9.9's are not really indicative of anything...revival was hot and isn't now but things are getting crazier all the time. Look at marvel comics presents 6...$60 bucks the saturday after it came out...

That's your indication of crazy?

i have a whole thread dedicated to drek heating up and that's the best examples y'all can find???

21 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Hmmmm.......you say there's no burst coming, but then your observations of the secondary market precisely describe a bubble.  When people start getting burned by the churn, and find other venues on which to spend their money, that's a bubble bursting.

21 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

I’d like to know exactly what signs you’re speaking of that you’re seeing that the bubble is about to burst. The last Avengers movie is sitting at 2.8B in global box office sales right now, top grossing film of all time. If the bubble  was created by the MCU, and it is about to burst, why did so many people go to see Endgame this year? It seems more people than ever are getting into these movies and characters, and with the Disney machine backing this now — if we are inside a bubble, I’d imagine it’s got a bit of time before it bursts. I might be wrong, but I’m also not in this hobby as a way to make money to provide for my family either, so it doesn’t much matter to me if I am.

Plenty of people have seen the movies without getting into the comics.  Before that, the same thing can be said about the cartoons, TV shows, etc.  The difference is that now, the more successful MCU films are giving birth to a group of people who are investing to flip books for max profit.  Couple that with the recent industry trend to print every title with a dozen variant covers.  It's very analogous to what happened in the mid-90's.

I somewhat agree with you in that I'm not trying to make money, but if/when this sort of bubble bursts, it generally takes a few LCSs with it.  That's what I hate to see.

Just now, RonS2112 said:

Hmmmm.......you say there's no burst coming, but then your observations of the secondary market precisely describe a bubble.  When people start getting burned by the churn, and find other venues on which to spend their money, that's a bubble bursting.

I'm describing a slowly deflating market. It won't burst.

The ship began taking on water a few years ago and has been slowly sinking. All the churn does is replace the deckhands with buckets who have been throwing the water overboard. 

3 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Plenty of people have seen the movies without getting into the comics.  Before that, the same thing can be said about the cartoons, TV shows, etc.  The difference is that now, the more successful MCU films are giving birth to a group of people who are investing to flip books for max profit.  Couple that with the recent industry trend to print every title with a dozen variant covers.  It's very analogous to what happened in the mid-90's.

I somewhat agree with you in that I'm not trying to make money, but if/when this sort of bubble bursts, it generally takes a few LCSs with it.  That's what I hate to see.

While I don't see a Bubble bursting soon...I see a Correction in the market more than likely in the next few years as more and more movie/TV announcements are made.  True not everyone buys comics that saw the movies but it has changed the average minimalist collector into a full blown FOMO searcher.  That fickle brand of collector may subside if it financially worsens over time.