• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, darkstar said:

It's the original version of the character. No different than any other character that was created in a different part of the multiverse and then written into mainline continuity. Perhaps you should try reading the books to familiarize yourself instead of blindly chasing the latest hot tip.

Hot tip ? lol.  I'll let the spec sites crash & burn your "hot tip".

3 hours ago, divad said:

As much as I (we) are enjoying books suddenly becoming "$50 books" - I miss the time when books were valued on the basis of being just really cool books, great stories, great covers, great art, great artists or just #156 in your collection of the title run. Personally, I could sell off every "1st appearance" in my personal collection and still be a happy camper . . . just sayin' :whistle:

Hey, all those books are still available in the dollar boxes :)

Or cheaper.  I was at a little convention today and one guy had 3/$1 boxes.  I bought a bunch of 80s Avengers, some low grade 70s drek, and a bunch of the 280-299 X-men that I am too cheap to pay a whole dollar for, etc.

In another 50 cent box I bought a large chunk of the Byrne FF.  I already have all of them, but still. 🙂

Just so I have some modern mention, I bought some of those Gen 13 books.  Not the one you all are posting that actually has value.  Some of the other ones.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, Jaydogrules said:

OMG are people seriously believing Marvel will bench Parker, their #1 character and title just to spite Sony, despite the fact that Disney literally owns ALL other rights to the character, other than film?  :roflmao:

I won't even get into the part where Sony ALSO still owns the film rights to all other Spider related characters, so "replacing" Parker with another in its flagship title would make ZERO sense for that reason alone.  :eyeroll:

-J.

True...I see this as nothing more than driving hype between phases. SDCC announcements were as expected, with one exception, and for once in 10 years we are going into the fall season without any marvel movies to keep us preoccupied. Marvel/Sony collusion at its best IMO. 

12 hours ago, divad said:

Not in the condition I collect. :baiting:

Hey, if you want people to collect books because they have great stories and art, they are going to have to read them, which means they probably won’t be 9.8’s.

Otherwise, you can buy the slabs and look at the cover and a label telling you it is the first appearance of Venom’s hairdresser. 🙂

Edited by Hamlet

23 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Hey, if you want people to collect books because they have great stories and art, they are going to have to read them, which means they probably won’t be 9.8’s.

Otherwise, you can buy the slabs and look at the cover and a label telling you it is the first appearance of Venom’s hairdresser. 🙂

Which is? I heard a rumor on the darkwebs they were going to be in the next movie. Get it now!

Wait, may have been Carnage's hairdresser. (Wuud-dy)

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by ygogolak

On 9/8/2019 at 6:50 AM, Hamlet said:

Well, if you're a nose-pickin, potato-chip eatin', chocolate shake slurpin' slob . . . I suppose. lol

27 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

There have been a couple sold for $3 + shipping.

That's what I thought. I just bought a collection that had a bunch of them in there. Seeing as my total cost per unit was about six cents, $3 is fine.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Hey modern guys!

With the understanding that Chuck/Bettie is clearly on crack, what is the actual market value for this book? I'm assuming $45 is nuts, but how nuts?

Mile high prices are always inflated...take what he's got it for on ebay and take 20-30% off and that's what he'd like to get for it.

On 9/10/2019 at 7:08 AM, FlyingDonut said:

That's what I thought. I just bought a collection that had a bunch of them in there. Seeing as my total cost per unit was about six cents, $3 is fine.

They are yet another example that puts the nail in the coffin of the idea that "1:X" are printed "to order." Diamond accounts got to order them long after the fact. Doesn't mean they're common, and any sort of hype could send it up...but I have about 25 of them, and the amount of regular copies I had to order to buy them is precisely 0.

17 hours ago, showcase4 said:

Is this book in NM/MT 9.8 Cooling off already? .....   ( or are there so few for sale at any given moment, they’re not around when I happen to look.... :$ )

Lots of factors; market fluctuation to the new hot book, reaction to the story in Venom #18, Wal-Mart packs, etc...

Prices on Moderns are very volatile and have been for a few years now.

16 hours ago, ygogolak said:
On 9/12/2019 at 1:47 PM, showcase4 said:

Is this book in NM/MT 9.8 Cooling off already? .....   ( or are there so few for sale at any given moment, they’re not around when I happen to look.... :$ )

Lots of factors; market fluctuation to the new hot book, reaction to the story in Venom #18, Wal-Mart packs, etc...

Prices on Moderns are very volatile and have been for a few years now.

Plus the fact that the book wasn't worth its cover price when it was printed . . . :whistle:

6 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Jim Henson's Beneath the Dark Crystal is doing well I am guessing from Netflix tie in.
Sets seem to sell best.

Almost any back issue of House of Powers of X is doing well I am surprised Marvel didn't 
up the print run because every issue sells out in EVERY shop I have been too. Ive talked
to several shops and they all sell out which is great for the hobby.

Batman 77 still holding value currently at least for another month.

Watchmen sets are moving well again probably due to HBO trailers.

Adam Legend of the Blue keeps going up. Anyone explain why its now a $150 book in raw?

Super Dinosaur is doing well I like to see a fun series like that gets some attention.

She Hulk back issues many of them are appreciating well.

For as hard as they are to find I don't see Marvel's Vampire variants from years ago
selling that well. I tried to make a set for awhile and gave up just I think much harder
then the circulation numbers suggest.

I am slowing down on my new issue and variant purchases. The market seems oversaturated
in that area and the arguments and speculation from those collectors give me a headache.

Sandman issues have slowed down a bit, if you can pick up key Essential issues for $1 you
can make some easy money.

Spawn back issues 175-275 continue to sell well. Newsstand as well.

Late issue Conans from V1 sell well in high grade. McFarlane and Lee Covers in high grade
sell well as well.

Venom Host 3 2nd print doing well. Cates keep churning them out. I wonder when oversaturation
of characters will ever hurt back issues.

Venom Along Came a Spider 1 seems to have good sales lately.

Dig out those old Tomb of Dracula Appearances with Blade in them. 

Is the Tec 691 DC Universe variant that hard to find?

Harbinger 1 is going to see a nice appreciation from recent news

Venom Along Came a Spider 1- First appearance of the Hybrid symbiote.  Featured prominently in Cates' latest Venom First Host storyline. 

-J.

15 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

Going through my inventory and deciding what to sell or hold. I don't collect modern books but picked some keys up in a collection recently. What do you guys think of The Boys 1, Immortal Hulk 1, and Immortal Hulk 2? Time to sell now or are they good long term holds? 

Is it thought that Dr. Frye should appear again? Everywhere I see #2 listed as first Dr. Frye but I read the story like a one-off. If not, sell now. But is it ever just one appearance?