• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

For as hard as they are to find I don't see Marvel's Vampire variants from years ago
selling that well. I tried to make a set for awhile and gave up just I think much harder
then the circulation numbers suggest.

It’s going to be very interesting as the years go forward to see which, if any, of the themed monthly variants or B covers get any love.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:29 AM, fastballspecial said:

I am slowing down on my new issue and variant purchases. The market seems oversaturated
in that area and the arguments and speculation from those collectors give me a headache.

Good move. While current retail books sell at shows, it is one of those sell the first week/month or be stuck with them type of market now. Maybe we are in the waning stages of the current spec bubble, just like 1993/94 was way back when.

That being said, Artgerm cover B variants still sell well at 2-3x cover, and there is a decent market for JSC exclusive covers - some of the early ones are tough to find now.

Edited by kimik

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Yet still no explanation  for why the book is selling so high. 
I get its hard to find, but what news has it so high or just rampant speculation?

I myself assume it was the image used by someone (Feige or a Russo?) saying "this is what the New Avengers should look like" with Adam front and center with rampant spec following from there..

MARKET REPORT ( 1st Prints - Raw )

Doing VERY well with this one — picking up steam on every buy / sell, with 30+ bids on just about all $1 start / No Reserve Auctions ..... and with 9.6 / 9.8 Raw Copies (my thing) selling at around $125  —- IMHO, there should be LOTS of room for sustained growth and demand - ALL 1st Print versions of UF4 ( raw, bagged, and 1:25 Variant ) appear to be presently undervalued, and are good as Gold every time I touch one lately ..... even though I almost always buy raw, seriously considering getting a $3k CCG 9.8 1:25 Variant ... if I’m dropping $3,000 on a Modern ... that’s going to be the one!

28FB5172-8E5F-488D-94B6-B2A0AD2F7830.jpeg

Edited by showcase4

9 hours ago, showcase4 said:

MARKET REPORT

Doing VERY well with this one — picking up steam on every buy / sell, with 30+ bids on just about all $1 start / No Reserve Auctions ..... and with 9.6 / 9.8 Raw Copies (my thing) selling at around $125  —- IMHO, there should be LOTS of room for sustained growth and demand - ALL 1st Print versions of UF4 ( raw, bagged, and 1:25 Variant ) appear to be presently undervalued, and are good as Gold every time I touch one lately ..... even though I almost always buy raw, seriously considering getting a $3k CCG 9.8 1:25 Variant ... if I’m dropping $3,000 on a Modern ... that’s going to be the one!

28FB5172-8E5F-488D-94B6-B2A0AD2F7830.jpeg

You must be getting good deals on them someplace...this book hasn't been undervalued in my area for some time...

The last time I saw a decent price for one locally, was about three years ago and a local store had a raw VF copy for $30. I don’t see them for under $80 around here ever anymore. I remember getting a bagged one in 2014 for cover and the guy at the store said “  you know this isn’t ever going to be worth anything right? They made so many of them.” I was just like okay.

49 minutes ago, BishopT said:

The last time I saw a decent price for one locally, was about three years ago and a local store had a raw VF copy for $30. I don’t see them for under $80 around here ever anymore. I remember getting a bagged one in 2014 for cover and the guy at the store said “  you know this isn’t ever going to be worth anything right? They made so many of them.” I was just like okay.

Comichron reports the print run at around 74,000 -- seems like a fairly low print run to me, given the popularity and the push behind the character.

3 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Comichron reports the print run at around 74,000 -- seems like a fairly low print run to me, given the popularity and the push behind the character.

Comichron reports north american sales, not print runs, which are industry secrets.

1 hour ago, paul747 said:

They do print off of the final order number, they have a system! it is not a shot in the dark system. No one can claim x amount was printed, but It can definitely be speculated on.

Thank you @RockMyAmadeus @Second Blight And @paul747 I did mix up what they were reporting, and I should have added the usual disclaimer language that the real numbers are not ones we can know with certainty. Paul747 gets at my real point better than I dd, which is based on what we can infer from these numbers, however loosely, it's likely not the most printed book out there either, though it would not be small by Modern standards even if that number were an exact one.

I think the potential for greater demand is there (as @fastballspecial said, it needs another media boost, but that seems inevitable for this character) and it seems to me like a book whose existing quantity could easily get absorbed by demand.

I had not heard about the 5 below packs before; thank you @Second Blight I have only checked my local one once and they did not have comics, but I have seen others mention on here that they have found comics in a 5 below.

Who ever knows for sure, but I like this book's/character's potential in the long run.