• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

150.00 lol good luck with that. 

Spring for the extra 10 or 20 bucks it will take to get yourself a nice Newsstand copy.

...or keep trying at 150 or under until it shoots back up after a MCU announcement.

I guess you are joking as it was a direct only book, no? Anyway, "nice" is subjective. I don't expect a raw 9.8 at that price.

27 minutes ago, the blob said:

I guess you are joking as it was a direct only book, no? Anyway, "nice" is subjective. I don't expect a raw 9.8 at that price.

Direct only ? Huh???

no sir as any other Marvel if it’s time it was sold at the newsstand. Bought my first copy at a cigarette store.

47 minutes ago, the blob said:

Jssilver's went for $151. Granted, I do not know how much higher the winner was willing to go. I changed my mind and went back to throw a few more $ at it figuring he is a good dude and the 9.0 was probably an undergrade, but I was late by 2 minutes. It was going to be a gift for my son if he pulls As on his report card 1st semester of high school. If he wants to sell it in 4 years for college money or pre-college trip money that would be ok. Looks like I will probably give him a $200 performance bonus if he maintains a 95. I need to light a fire under his arse.

Oh I see...

very cool gift!

yea buyer most likely would have approached 190.00

45 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Direct only ? Huh???

no sir as any other Marvel if it’s time it was sold at the newsstand. Bought my first copy at a cigarette store.

Right. New mutants was on the brink of going direct only due to low sales before liefield took over. Or that is what he claims in interviews. Which kind of sounds like b.s. as that would mean 85 and 86 should be relatively harder to find and they are not. I think rma may have debunked this in his NM 98 thesis.

43 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Oh I see...

very cool gift!

yea buyer most likely would have approached 190.00

Granted, this is a high profile book, but I can imagine a nice copy still falling through the cracks and getting $150 right now as the next movie is far off and all these facsimile copies are confusing new collectors. With that said, were I spending $150 I would probably plow it into an all star western 10. Just a personal preference. I'll keep on looking tho!

Edited by the blob

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Right. New mutants was on the brink of going direct only due to low sales before liefield took over. Or that is what he claims in interviews. Which kind of sounds like b.s. as that would mean 85 and 86 should be relatively harder to find and they are not. I think rma may have debunked this in his NM 98 dise

Granted, this is a high profile book, but I can imagine a nice copy still falling through the cracks and getting $150 right now as the next movie is far off and all these facsimile copies are confusing new collectors. With that said, were I spending $150 I would probably plow it into an all star western 10. Just a personal preference.

Ok valid but honestly a high grade at that price would only be from a possible bad auction end time...sometimes you get lucky with those.

as far as market value or GPA falling that low?

Nope

Edited by Shoomanfoo

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Because they are new to the hobby and trusting. The seller thinks they can get away from it by putting in the description instead. Its 
total :censored:. The younger generation uses their cell phones on ebay and they wont take the time to look thru the description. Honestly 
as a seller myself I don't think they need too. If it sells for $50 and you put reprint our Facsimile in the Title then no big deal no issue.

If the seller didn't then its blatant deception. Its just plain wrong.

I visited a few comic shops today and was looking around at the modern books... something I rarely do since I'm more interested in earlier books... and noticed a lot of reprints of 80's (and earlier) books.

Was wondering if those new to the hobby who would buy and read these facsimiles would then have interest in owning the original, thus increasing the market for the oldies... but goodies?

20 minutes ago, jokiing said:

I visited a few comic shops today and was looking around at the modern books... something I rarely do since I'm more interested in earlier books... and noticed a lot of reprints of 80's (and earlier) books.

Was wondering if those new to the hobby who would buy and read these facsimiles would then have interest in owning the original, thus increasing the market for the oldies... but goodies?

Naturally yes.

My first silver age book was a Captain America 109 jc penny reprint. 

Now I’ve got a silver collection.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Because they are new to the hobby and trusting. The seller thinks they can get away from it by putting in the description instead. Its 
total :censored:. The younger generation uses their cell phones on ebay and they wont take the time to look thru the description. Honestly 
as a seller myself I don't think they need too. If it sells for $50 and you put reprint our Facsimile in the Title then no big deal no issue.

That's their problem, and nobody else's.

30 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

That's their problem, and nobody else's.

You are right it is and its not going to change. Trust me I don't like anymore then you do.

Its a generational thing. I train new employees periodically at my place of employment and that whole 
generation is like that to one extent or the other. We adapt and accommodate as best we can and
employees who years later would have been great employees we lose because of it as well. That and
in my area the employee rate is a .5 lower then the national average. So its a workers market.

You can either adapt to it or sit on a rocking chair and complain. Its not going to change.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Ok valid but honestly a high grade at that price would only be from a possible bad auction end time...sometimes you get lucky with those.

as far as market value or GPA falling that low?

Nope

I am looking 9.0 raw or certified or better. Not high expectations. A lot of 3 termite chewed copies just sold for $20. I would have bought them.

1 hour ago, jokiing said:

Cheap to churn out for the publisher and someone can read an otherwise expensive comic cheap. Was in a shop with my kids and tbe youngest picked tve $1 swamp thing 1 reprint and batman 497 reprint. Was I going to say no?

Edited by the blob

35 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am looking 9.0 raw or certified or better. Not high expectations. A lot of 3 termite chewed copies just sold for $20. I would have bought them.

9.0 very possible at 100-125.

As long as the person doesn’t think there 9.0 is a 9.4

Im seeing bad grading all over eBay!

Really bad

16 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Great time to buy NM98. That book will have many more climbs in the next decade. It has always been a long term book for me. 
it’s one thing if u didn’t pick up a box of UF4. Imagine picking one up and flipping it for 10-30$ a pop like most people did for years

Completely agree. Great book for cheap. 

Patrick