• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, HookemNC said:

Question for you folks. Didn't want to start my own thread for this, so feel free to ignore me if so. Been checking ebay quite a bit to gauge the heat on both of these 2 books and im trying to decide what the smart choice is.

I have a walking dead #1 in a 9.8 and my brother has proposed a trade to me as he is a huge TWD junkie. He is offering up an Edge of Spider-verse 2 land variant in a 9.8. Take the trade or nah? Thanks for any info/help you guys can give.

I assume "land variant in a 9.8" means a CGC 9.8. If yes, then make the trade

6 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:
20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

sad but true! Will make a good story several Thanksgiving's from now :shy: 

By that time he’ll be able to trade it for an eosv2 regular cover

ya That's why I keep waiting to see the pic of the Greg Land he picked up, but Hopefully he trekked over and got the goods :) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Apologies if this is the wrong thread and full disclosure in that I own these books as of this afternoon, a couple of reg covers and the Dell'Otto 1/50.

I just made the usual new comic day run and I have an observation and a question.

Fallen Angels 1 is sold out at the Silver Snail, which is probably the highest volume LCS in Toronto.  Why?  I was under the impression that Fallen Angels had the lowest perceived buzz of the Dawn of X titles, many fans are mad at the Betsy Braddock/Kwannon thing and female led books generally are less popular than Male led ones.

All the other Dawn of X launches seems to have sold through well enough, but around here, none sold out on release day.  I haven't read the books yet, any ideas why?

Edited by Darth Floppy

10 minutes ago, kimik said:

Just curious. Are all of the boardies who used to argue that TWD 1 would not drop buying up copies now that 9.8s can be had at below $2000 USD prices?

They should!

I was firmly in the "it will drop quite a bit" camp, and I'm still waiting for it to come down a bit more before I buy, because I think it has a little bit further to go. I was watching a copy on eBay today, $1700 and 0 bids at the 30 second mark. I see now that it did receive a bid at the very end and sold at $1700. Personally, I'm waiting for them to go below $1500. That's the price I'd feel comfortable at, and I think I'll get there in time.

I don't study GPA all day long, and am certainly no market expert, but anecdotally I can say that WD collections are showing up en masse at local comic shops (and even Half Price Books!)  I haven't seen any #1's, but I have seen 19's and other "key" issues, and for the most part they are already gathering dust.

The time to buy is coming soon. But I'm greedy and patient enough to wait a little bit longer.

On 11/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, fastballspecial said:

Because they are new to the hobby and trusting. The seller thinks they can get away from it by putting in the description instead. Its 
total :censored:. The younger generation uses their cell phones on ebay and they wont take the time to look thru the description. Honestly 
as a seller myself I don't think they need too. If it sells for $50 and you put reprint our Facsimile in the Title then no big deal no issue.

If the seller didn't then its blatant deception. Its just plain wrong.

I have noticed this a lot with Tomb of Dracula 25.  Lots of sales of the 1994 reprint, which has a Stridex ad on the back, with no mention of it in the title or description. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

They should!

I was firmly in the "it will drop quite a bit" camp, and I'm still waiting for it to come down a bit more before I buy, because I think it has a little bit further to go. I was watching a copy on eBay today, $1700 and 0 bids at the 30 second mark. I see now that it did receive a bid at the very end and sold at $1700. Personally, I'm waiting for them to go below $1500. That's the price I'd feel comfortable at, and I think I'll get there in time.

I don't study GPA all day long, and am certainly no market expert, but anecdotally I can say that WD collections are showing up en masse at local comic shops (and even Half Price Books!)  I haven't seen any #1's, but I have seen 19's and other "key" issues, and for the most part they are already gathering dust.

The time to buy is coming soon. But I'm greedy and patient enough to wait a little bit longer.

If you like catching a falling knife. jk

18 hours ago, CallMeSang said:

If you like catching a falling knife. jk

Yeah, I mean there is a question of just how low it can go, but even with the popularity of the show(s) waning and the comic ending, this is still arguably THE key book of the modern age, and there still aren't enough of them out there to meet the demand, so I don't think it's ever going to be "cheap".  This isn't The Sixth Gun or some other overhyped flash in the pan. No matter where it ends up, it will always have been a legit cultural phenomenon. It will always be a relevant book. I'm not in any hurry, eventually the price will settle and I'll pick one up. I sold my 9.8 for about $900 back when that seemed like crazy good money for the book, and I've regretted it ever since. I don't think it'll ever hit $900 again, but eventually it will settle at a price I'm willing to pay, and I may pick up a couple if they ever get to that point, because I still think it's a terrific book to have. People are dumping right now. It'll creep up again at some point.

21 hours ago, kimik said:

Just curious. Are all of the boardies who used to argue that TWD 1 would not drop buying up copies now that 9.8s can be had at below $2000 USD prices?

Most of the talking about how the book is solid was when it passed $1000. Not so many folks talking about how it is a permanent $2k book. Having nothing being published hurts. Kirkman abandoned the book. I wish he had handed the reigns to someone even if to continue it as spin off stories with new or marginal characters. Not that i have gotten around to reading the last issue. Or any of the issues for the last 130 or so issues.

21 hours ago, kimik said:

Probably not, those guys always disappear.  Just like on Seeking Alpha with companies and investing in equities...

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Most of the talking about how the book is solid was when it passed $1000. Not so many folks talking about how it is a permanent $2k book. Having nothing being published hurts. Kirkman abandoned the book. I wish he had handed the reigns to someone even if to continue it as spin off stories with new or marginal characters. Not that i have gotten around to reading the last issue. Or any of the issues for the last 130 or so issues.

There was a discussion a year or two ago where people were arguing it would not drop below $2K if I recall correctly. Those are the boardies I am curious about. Are they buying at sub-$2000 now? I know I have a handful of keys that I will always buy if I can get them below a certain threshold level.......

Edited by kimik

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

There was a discussion a year or two ago where people were arguing it would not drop below $2K if I recall correctly. Those are the boardies I am curious about. Are they buying at sub-$2000 now? 

Did anyone think a solid selling series would get cancelled because it wasn't worth kirkman's time anymore? I guess he did it with invincible, but WD sold more, no? I'm not sure we go below $2k, yet, with an existing series and spin off. With that said it looks like most sales are still around $2k. The problem with that is if nobody thinks it will rise, it will probably fall. The die hards own their copy.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

He didn't abandon it he just ended it. I liked the fact he didn't warn anyone. 

7 hours ago, the blob said:

Did anyone think a solid selling series would get cancelled because it wasn't worth kirkman's time anymore? I guess he did it with invincible, but WD sold more, no? I'm not sure we go below $2k, yet, with an existing series and spin off. With that said it looks like most sales are still around $2k. The problem with that is if nobody thinks it will rise, it will probably fall. The die hards own their copy.

I'm guessing that Kirkman has enough money from the success of WD that he'll be comfortable without new WD sales. I imagine that he felt the book had run its course and wanted to move onto something else. I can understand that, working in a creative field. We only have so much time on this planet. Might as well spend it doing something we enjoy if we can afford it.

I get it. The $15k or whatever a month he cleared on the comic (outside of special issues, etc) is chump change. But he could have handed the reigns over to someone else too. A lot of loyal readers lost something with the abrupt cancellation.