• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, showcase4 said:

Is it my imagination, or does the Month+ long slump of this thread, suggest that there’s a Month+ long slump of ‘Moderns heating up on eBay’ ? :whatev:

It has been a slow 6 weeks... My ebay sales have been way down, though it has picked up again in the past week. I've sold some modern books (Amazing Fantasy 10, Veronica 171) but nothing at a price to rush to the boards about.

That being said, I always find the period leading up to Christmas is a great time to buy... auctions (at least on ebay) tend to end much lower than normal.

I would suggest people find other venues to find what's hot. There is no one source that will capture everything.

As I've mentioned previously, in this market there are always hot books. Past few weeks; Star Wars: Darth Vader #3, Far Sector #1, Secret Wars 2099 #1 Variant, 52 week 12, the Marvel LCSD variants, etc...

41 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I would suggest people find other venues to find what's hot. There is no one source that will capture everything.

As I've mentioned previously, in this market there are always hot books. Past few weeks; Star Wars: Darth Vader #3, Far Sector #1, Secret Wars 2099 #1 Variant, 52 week 12, the Marvel LCSD variants, etc...

All of those have been discussed on ComicKey but I think almost all of them kind of hit with a yawn.  A few lucky people made a few bucks but there really has not been a big hit book in a few weeks at least.  I love it when a book becomes hot and then cool in the same week.

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
59 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

All of those have been discussed on ComicKey but I think almost all of them kind of hit with a yawn.  A few lucky people made a few bucks but there really has not been a big hit book in a few weeks at least.  I love it when a book becomes hot and then cool in the same week.

I'm not sure on the variations of "heating up", but Batman Beyond #25 and #37 seems to still sell no real spike in price but :foryou: 

5 hours ago, Second Blight said:
6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Nope - it’s been a rough month.  You know it’s rough when key collector has a tough time finding anything spiking.

KeyCollector is a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed . Dont rely on him for info

I think that's kinda the point.  They trade in hype, sometimes to the point where it appears manufactured from something that is barely anything.  When they have problems finding the barest kernels to even manufacture hype, the market is pretty cold.

But I think things are typically somewhat slow around this time.  it's a good time for collectors to buy stuff for their personal collections though....or if they're pretty good at long term spec, it might be a good time to buy.

November 2018 - $6,393 in sales.

November 2019 - $1,255 in sales

Part of this is having more keys and some hot graded books last year compared to this year but the different has been striking.  I'd love to see how others in the industry are doing but I've heard a couple people using the taboo crashing word.

15 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Part of this is having more keys and some hot graded books last year compared to this year but the different has been striking.  I'd love to see how others in the industry are doing but I've heard a couple people using the taboo crashing word.

I sell about $1000 a month but yes, last month was horrible. I sold less than $200 I think.

On 11/29/2019 at 2:44 PM, cd4ever said:

I honestly don't think that would be an issue.  Maybe I'm just naive. 

<facepalm>

Edited by FlyingDonut

2 hours ago, Bird said:
2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I sell about $1000 a month but yes, last month was horrible. I sold less than $200 I think.

Although not quite in their league . . . agreed - last month was very quiet.  Hoping that the "gift buyers" start picking up now that December has started - Only three weeks to last delivery date before Christmas this year! It seems to have picked up starting about mid-month, but mid Oct thru mid Nov was DEAD.

Edited by divad

4 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Have you seen the most recent sale on that Secret Wars 2099 #1 1:25 variant? $98!

That book really has moved since the November 21st sale of $8.

8 hours ago, Brock said:

It has been a slow 6 weeks... My ebay sales have been way down, though it has picked up again in the past week. I've sold some modern books (Amazing Fantasy 10, Veronica 171) but nothing at a price to rush to the boards about.

That being said, I always find the period leading up to Christmas is a great time to buy... auctions (at least on ebay) tend to end much lower than normal.

Yes this is the time to buy until tax season starts. I have neglected my store this month due to running a sales thread here but j have still had a few sales.on ebay. Living on hot books alone is a recipe for disaster. It's a nice compliment but you have to diversify or the variant market will eat u alive. 

There are staple books that sell matter what even in a down market the trick is to know them and buy them cheap

Edited by fastballspecial

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

U aren't surprised are you? The market has been artificially sustained for awhile in the modern market. A correction wouldn't be surprising. 

What I like seeing are books that grow organically from a good story or interesting character tv show always do well over time. Our hobby isn't like cards and never will be thankfully.

Edited by fastballspecial

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I did ok earlier in the month of November, but the last 2 weeks were super dead. But I don't have a big presence.

12 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

U aren't surprised are you? The market has been artificially sustained for awhile in the modern market. A correction wouldn't be surprising. 

What I like seeing are books that grow organically from a good story or interesting character tv show always do well over time. Our hobby isn't like cards and never will be thankfully.

It could be that the next marvel movie seems a ways off and a lot of the comic related TV stuff is hitting a hiatus.

Does anyone think that my comic shop setting the limit for pricing does not help you? Sure, a lot of the time they are high enough for most everyone else to price below (or compete on higher grade raws), but if they say some book is worth $7... that's probably the top anyone is going to get for that book and, realistically, a lot of the rest of us probably need to price it at $4. true, they don't have everything in stock. Do we have any sense of whether their sales are down? Might people just be going to them for less guess work in terms of grades, etc. than thousands of individual ebay sellers? Fact is, when I price a book I look at completed sales and I look at them. I'm not going to price it anywhere near them if they have it in stock. Of course, that shouldn't change unit volume, but it may impact dollar volume.

Maybe not. MCS accounts for roughly 5% of ebay sales in terms of completed sales (not $-volume or # of comics). OTOH, I have no idea why folks would buy off them on ebay when you can just go to their site for less, other than using ebay bucks. So is MCS potentially 10% of the online vintage comic market? Is that possible?

I’m glad someone is mentioning Mycomicshop. 

I’d  buy from them anytime over eBay for raw “same advertised grade” even if mcs is a bit higher. 

They tend to undergrade and I’ve gotton 6.0 silvers that came back 7.5’s 

ebay is the pits for people overgrading and selling junk books advertised as NM.

Its giving good honest dealers a real bad name.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:

As far as mycomicshop setting a selling price limit?

Thank goodness because dealers will rape you with there prices without other buying “options”

...and mcs prices are mostly ridiculous to begin with.  

BUT... the book is graded by MYCS, NOT the seller. Too many 'prices' I see sold for on eBay are suspect and grading is almost always an issue unless you're dealing with a regular experienced seller you know you can trust.

When you buy something from MYCS, you get a strictly graded book, unlike ebay where you get god knows what sometimes. 

MYCS, may not be setting the market on a lot of these books, but they ARE gobbling up the market, because they a) advertise like crazy everywhere and continue to expand their customer base, b) made a conscious effort a couple of years ago (maybe a good 7-8 years ago) to strictly grade, and c) BUY, BUY, BUY like crazy.

Add to that d) their packaging is top notch, e) their processing/shipping times have gotten MUCH faster, f) they accept multiple forms of payment and g) the dad has pretty much left the building.

Not everyone has 24 hours a day to spend on this stuff like some of you, and just want an easy place where they can go to get their books and not have the hassle of being hustled, or conned through shill bidding or messing with those Paypal clowns.

Why WOULDN'T someone go there over eBay?