• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure if volume has increased, but there are a bunch of Blue Beetle sales recently. Seems like the movie has been abandoned in favor of an HBO television show?

Yes, the "movie" that was always only rumored by one writer. But yes, HBO Max.

20 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Seems to me like there’s less enthusiasm with moderns/movie hyped books of late. I wanna say, approximately 6 months now. 
im doing great with sales but I can’t point to any feeding frenzy books 

I see a lot of hype hitting brand new books which doesn't lead to a feeding frenzy like if an older book pops which sends us all looking in long boxes.  I see some $4 books becoming $15 books but not a lot of $1 books jumping to $30 - $50 books like we saw with the Eternals announcement.  I'm still waiting on the 1st Micronaut trailer or promo to restart that fire.

Edited by 1Cool

9 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I see a lot of hype hitting brand new books which doesn't lead to a feeding frenzy like if an older book pops which sends us all looking in long boxes.  I see some $4 books becoming $15 books but not a lot of $1 books jumping to $30 - $50 books like we saw with the Eternals announcement.  I'm still waiting on the 1st Micronaut trailer or promo to restart that fire.

Yup exactly my findings. I see a lot of gimmicks still as to be expected from the modern variant market, I don’t think that will ever change, but no organic price climbs from cover price moderns (ala marvel comics presents 6) or back issue surprises

51 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Seems to me like there’s less enthusiasm with moderns/movie hyped books of late. I wanna say, approximately 6 months now. 
im doing great with sales but I can’t point to any feeding frenzy books 

It would be nice if that became the norm again. It's just a matter of time before people realize they've overpaid on movie/show spec hype books.

Was reviewing Spawn the other day and thought it had softened a bit. 

Definitely no complaint as there are virtually no titles with that many books selling for a good penny. 

Does seem like the 240s are still particularly strong.  Odd, because those were way down until people realize it recently. 

Patrick

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

A lot of movement this past months in book sales. 

SW 42/68 = $

ASM 210 is still doing very well I am sold out and wont get anymore.
Canto is running up to $35 now I sold too early.

Lady Mechanika 0 is doing very very well and is harder to find then I thought.

Witcher 1 - Show is fantastic and book is on fire too.

Brute Force 1 - I don't get it either.

Marville 5 again another one I sold to early. I think this book will be $100 book 
sometime this year. I sold a newsstand signed for $60 and now regret it.

Astonishing X-men 3 & 6 are quick easy sells at $9-$12

Thor 337 its a nice time to have a copy.

Infinite Crisis 5 - might a book to get cheap.

Thor StormBreaker is an easy sell.

Batman Beyond 6 is pulling stupid money right now sell now.

Spawn newsstands continue to do well as the number goes higher.

X-Men 160 seems to be on the rise from the New Mutants trailer.
X-Men 65 and 66 might be cheap pickups if you can find some. 

Sold out of Angela 1s Asgard Assassin

UF4 nice sales lately again.
Several nice out of print omnibuses have been good sales.
They are hard to find, but worth it if you can find one.

Multiple Sales of Watchmen 1-12 Sets in the last month. HBO show helped.

Hulk 258 multiple sales easily $10-25 book on grade.

Which Omnibuses are out of print? I thought most of them were always reprinted.

13 hours ago, mr_highgrade said:

Which Omnibuses are out of print? I thought most of them were always reprinted.

They do go back and reprint them, but printings are done in chunks, and so when the print run is sold out through the distributor level, after a while, prices start to climb.   As an example, ASM Omnibus vol 1 was reprinted, and so its price is reasonable, but Vols 2 and 3 fetch a premium, having not been reprinted.

I think Thor Vol 1 and Silver Surfer sell at a significant premium, as do the two Claremont/Lee X-Men volumes.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:21 AM, 1Cool said:

Eternals in any kind of shape was no longer a genuine $1 book by the time the movie news first popped. It had graduated to $2 boxes. I remember passing on mid-grade copies in $2 boxes like 5 or 6 years ago thinking I already had a bunch of these, didn't need more in so so shape. Genius. Along with the 10-15 copies of Marvel Special Edition 15 in 9.0-9.4 I got about $25-$30 each for. More genius.

1 hour ago, 500Club said:

They do go back and reprint them, but printings are done in chunks, and so when the print run is sold out through the distributor level, after a while, prices start to climb.   As an example, ASM Omnibus vol 1 was reprinted, and so its price is reasonable, but Vols 2 and 3 fetch a premium, having not been reprinted.

I think Thor Vol 1 and Silver Surfer sell at a significant premium, as do the two Claremont/Lee X-Men volumes.

Indeed, it can take MANY years between re-printings of Omni's, and many have never been reprinted at all.

Eternals Omni is a pricey one, though smart money is on it being reprinted when the movie hits.

X-Men Inferno and Fall of the Mutants are up there

X-men 1 & 2 and Uncanny 2 are all pricey. UXM Omni 1 has been reprinted several times and is usually in print. I wouldn't pay much for XM 1 & 2 because it should only be a matter of time before they're back in print.

Hickman FF very pricey, and his Avengers Omnis are getting there too

Captain Britain - never reprinted

Immortal Iron Fist - never reprinted

And many, many, many more. Variant covers on OOP volumes are also an additional premium.

Brute Force #1 is selling for a few reasons.

Captain America and Wolverine: Weapon Plus #1 - introduced them as Weapon II
They are featured in the upcoming Weapon Plus One-shot that features a back-up Brute Force Story.
The book was made the "chapter book" for the Comic Book Fiend Club - which just means there is a small group of people that have been trying to find copies of this book for whatever reason for the last few months.

Update on the DETECTIVE COMICS BATMAN 80th ANNIVERSARY GIANT #1 from Key Collector...

• Celebrates the 80th year of Detective Comics in an 80-page format sold exclusively at Wal-Mart
  • Approximately 1,500 copies made it into the market
  • Features reprints of Robin, Batgirl and Leslie Thompkins first appearances along with an uncensored reprint of Detective Comics #27 whereas other reprints have omitted the image of a knife in the back of a murder victim
  • Back cover is a mostly black advertisement for the Shazam! movie and susceptible to color rub
  • 📈 +188% average value increase versus prior week

2 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Brute Force #1 is selling for a few reasons.

Captain America and Wolverine: Weapon Plus #1 - introduced them as Weapon II
They are featured in the upcoming Weapon Plus One-shot that features a back-up Brute Force Story.
The book was made the "chapter book" for the Comic Book Fiend Club - which just means there is a small group of people that have been trying to find copies of this book for whatever reason for the last few months.

Brute Force is in the new Thor #1 I believe, or some new book.

Weapon Plus #1 features the first appearance of Weapon XXX, load up!!.