• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, the blob said:
On 1/9/2020 at 10:21 AM, 1Cool said:

I see a lot of hype hitting brand new books which doesn't lead to a feeding frenzy like if an older book pops which sends us all looking in long boxes.  I see some $4 books becoming $15 books but not a lot of $1 books jumping to $30 - $50 books like we saw with the Eternals announcement.  I'm still waiting on the 1st Micronaut trailer or promo to restart that fire.

Eternals in any kind of shape was no longer a genuine $1 book by the time the movie news first popped. It had graduated to $2 boxes. I remember passing on mid-grade copies in $2 boxes like 5 or 6 years ago thinking I already had a bunch of these, didn't need more in so so shape. Genius. Along with the 10-15 copies of Marvel Special Edition 15 in 9.0-9.4 I got about $25-$30 each for. More genius.

I bought them all up to $3 per book. I left a show one day with 50+ issues of 2-15 or so at $1,2 $3 a piece. 

I didn't spec on MSE 15 at all as I thought like an old collector who thought that book was junk.

Win some lose some.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, James_ny1 said:

They got their information directly from the distributor, so.........

If they did they need to work on their story. The numbers posted previously by them reported 50-60 copies going to a total of only 56 of the Walmart’s nationwide.

Now we have new numbers. I’d like to swear a bunch right now but I won’t. The numbers keep changing makes he think they’re full of it. 

Edited by Corona smith

1 hour ago, James_ny1 said:

Update on the DETECTIVE COMICS BATMAN 80th ANNIVERSARY GIANT #1 from Key Collector...

• Celebrates the 80th year of Detective Comics in an 80-page format sold exclusively at Wal-Mart
  • Approximately 1,500 copies made it into the market
  • Features reprints of Robin, Batgirl and Leslie Thompkins first appearances along with an uncensored reprint of Detective Comics #27 whereas other reprints have omitted the image of a knife in the back of a murder victim
  • Back cover is a mostly black advertisement for the Shazam! movie and susceptible to color rub
  • 📈 +188% average value increase versus prior week

You are going to find here that the app is more for new collectors and speculators from other sites.

Many of us already know all the information there or we can look it up ourselves without paying for it.

Here is something else I noticed the last few weeks. If anything
its interesting discussion.

FB comic speculation groups taking themselves to
Patreon and charging. 

Each group has different reasons, but one I belong just last week
out of the blue closed up the group and told everyone they are
moving to Patreon and charging a monthly fee. This last one just
basically said hey we built this group up and now we are going to 
charge for it. 

I can find more groups for free thank you.

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Here is something else I noticed the last few weeks. If anything
its interesting discussion.

FB comic speculation groups taking themselves to
Patreon and charging. 

Each group has different reasons, but one I belong just last week
out of the blue closed up the group and told everyone they are
moving to Patreon and charging a monthly fee. This last one just
basically said hey we built this group up and now we are going to 
charge for it. 

I can find more groups for free thank you.

There’s a plethora of different spec sites that are free and my comic money goes towards comics and supplies. Not apps or groups. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Brute Force #1 is selling for a few reasons.

Captain America and Wolverine: Weapon Plus #1 - introduced them as Weapon II
They are featured in the upcoming Weapon Plus One-shot that features a back-up Brute Force Story.
The book was made the "chapter book" for the Comic Book Fiend Club - which just means there is a small group of people that have been trying to find copies of this book for whatever reason for the last few months.

I am more then happy to sell them this book then repeatedly as there is no shortage of supply.

15 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I bought them all up to $3 per book. I left a show one day with 50+ issues of 2-15 or so at $1,2 $3 a piece. 

I didn't spec on MSE 15 at all as I thought like an old collector who thought that book was junk.

Win some lose some.

How is MSE15, an established Marvel key, which spawned a series that ran consecutively for almost a decade, producing some amazing art and storylines, considered junk?

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:
16 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Win some lose some.

How is MSE15, an established Marvel key, which spawned a series that ran consecutively for almost a decade, producing some amazing art and storylines, considered junk?

Because I could buy them all for $1 for years every issue or less. Even nice copies. I get your point
your point though.

My local shop still has an entire long box of those issues that he cant sell. Now he wants more then $1 each for them now, but it goes to show the book other then MSE15 still isn't sell well yet. That will change with the movie. 

Eternals was the same issue pretty much, but now the series entirely sells for much more.

Edited by fastballspecial

32 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Because I could buy them all for $1 for years every issue or less. Even nice copies. I get your point
your point though.

My local shop still has an entire long box of those issues that he cant sell. Now he wants more then $1 each for them now, but it goes to show the book other then MSE15 still isn't sell well yet. That will change with the movie. 

Eternals was the same issue pretty much, but now the series entirely sells for much more.

2 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

your point though.

Book value has nothing to do with key value. Its the book’s significant value in relation to storyline/character/genre and sometimes art that make it key. 
in those regards a book like Eternals 1 has far less significance than a book like MSE15 in key terms 

8 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Book value has nothing to do with key value. Its the book’s significant value in relation to storyline/character/genre and sometimes art that make it key. 
in those regards a book like Eternals 1 has far less significance than a book like MSE15 in key terms 

Sure, but I am not interested in that. All take Eternals all day long.

18 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Disagree as Eternals is Kirby art “the King”

Kirby high concept establishing Space Gods into the Marvel Universe

Eternals have had multiple spin offs and good selling story arcs ever since.

Eternals 1 was always more sought and pricier than MSE 15 for a reason...

Its the introduction and 1st appearance of multiple characters and concepts.