• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, divad said:
19 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I didn't spec on MSE 15 at all as I thought like an old collector who thought that book was junk.

Except that it wasn't . . . ever.:sumo:

I think it probably fell into the category of ‘unloved key’ for many years, certainly from the end of the MoKF run, until the Marvel movie hype years.  Junk is a bit too harsh a term, but it’s a book you could ask for and receive from dealers a significant Sunday discount at shows.

8 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Disagree as Eternals is Kirby art “the King”

agree - key value attribute point

Kirby high concept establishing Space Gods into the Marvel Universe

subjective and irrelevant

Eternals have had multiple spin offs and good selling story arcs ever since.

False- based on crowd reception and continuity implementation, Eternals was pretty much non existent in comparison to Shang Chi

Eternals 1 was always more sought and pricier than MSE 15 for a reason...

Straight out false

Its the introduction and 1st appearance of multiple characters and concepts.

irrelevant, since non played any key role in any Marvel book

13 hours ago, 500Club said:

I think it probably fell into the category of ‘unloved key’ for many years, certainly from the end of the MoKF run, until the Marvel movie hype years.  Junk is a bit too harsh a term, but it’s a book you could ask for and receive from dealers a significant Sunday discount at shows.

I was referring to the book itself, not the marketplace. The title had its ups and downs but once Moench took over the writing and Gulacy the art, I think it was pretty special, and Starlin started it all with SME 15 and 16.

I’ve gone back and read them and enjoyed them immensely. :smile:

5 hours ago, PeterPark said:

I've never seen eternals 1 sell for SME 15 prices...eternals 1 is incredibly common and grouped with all the other 1's around that era...SME has been a key 1st appearance for a long time. Eternals books are not hard to find, just not valued historically.

SME doesn't have a 30 or 35 cent variant. Also there are multiple keys in that Eternals run.

I haven't seen a ET 1 9.8 sell for awhile, but you can see a SME 15 sold recently. Value wise SME vs
common ET 1 is no contest. Add a 30 cent variant in the mix and I would think ET 1 might edge it out
by a little.

That being said you are right Eternals is more common then SME by far. Just neither were hugely sought
after till the movie hype.

12 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

SME doesn't have a 30 or 35 cent variant. Also there are multiple keys in that Eternals run.

I haven't seen a ET 1 9.8 sell for awhile, but you can see a SME 15 sold recently. Value wise SME vs
common ET 1 is no contest. Add a 30 cent variant in the mix and I would think ET 1 might edge it out
by a little.

That being said you are right Eternals is more common then SME by far. Just neither were hugely sought
after till the movie hype.

The Eternals 1 30 cent variant is probably the most common after Howard the Duck 3. I used to include a high grade copy in every lot of 30 cent variants I sold. It sells for an unbelievable amount now but there was a time when SME 15 was worth more than even the variant in grade. The price variants don't have a lot of keys overall, or at least, keys most people know about. It was really something to see some of the variants take off so much.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:46 AM, divad said:

I was referring to the book itself, not the marketplace. The title had its ups and downs but once Moench took over the writing and Gulacy the art, I think it was pretty special, and Starlin started it all with SME 15 and 16.

I’ve gone back and read them and enjoyed them immensely. :smile:

It's funny, I was all set to sell my mid-grade SME 15 and 16 on the boards a few years back.  I had them scanned and ready to list on the boards.  I was expecting them to sell for like $20-25 as a lot, and since I didn't collect them I figured that would be decent money for me.  I actually read them, and really liked the Starlin art, so I never got around to selling them.  Fast forward to the movie announcement, and suddenly my copy of SME 15 is a $200 book.  I got it to MCS as fast as I could, and cashed in for $180 after fees.

I don't have interest in owning a copy of it at anywhere near current prices.  Likewise for the Eternals run.  I'm happy to sell any that I get into the movie hype.  

On 1/11/2020 at 7:57 PM, manetteska said:

Why? I see many raw copies for $30. 

Issue #1 had massive printing/shipping damage. Both on the regular cover and incentive. This is helping it stay hot. Only 37 9.8's on census and 11 of the incentive.

I haven't looked at closed sales on ebay but I would assume these ones selling higher are 9.8 candidates in the buyers eyes.

It is a good read too though.

Edited by I like pie

On 1/9/2020 at 8:27 PM, fastballspecial said:

A lot of movement this past months in book sales. 

SW 42/68 = $

ASM 210 is still doing very well I am sold out and wont get anymore.
Canto is running up to $35 now I sold too early.

Lady Mechanika 0 is doing very very well and is harder to find then I thought.

Witcher 1 - Show is fantastic and book is on fire too.

Brute Force 1 - I don't get it either.

Marville 5 again another one I sold to early. I think this book will be $100 book 
sometime this year. I sold a newsstand signed for $60 and now regret it.

Astonishing X-men 3 & 6 are quick easy sells at $9-$12

Thor 337 its a nice time to have a copy.

Infinite Crisis 5 - might a book to get cheap.

Thor StormBreaker is an easy sell.

Batman Beyond 6 is pulling stupid money right now sell now.

Spawn newsstands continue to do well as the number goes higher.

X-Men 160 seems to be on the rise from the New Mutants trailer.
X-Men 65 and 66 might be cheap pickups if you can find some. 

Sold out of Angela 1s Asgard Assassin

UF4 nice sales lately again.
Several nice out of print omnibuses have been good sales.
They are hard to find, but worth it if you can find one.

Multiple Sales of Watchmen 1-12 Sets in the last month. HBO show helped.

Hulk 258 multiple sales easily $10-25 book on grade.

Infinite Crisis 5 Either or both covers?

42 minutes ago, Spawnfreak said:

Infinite Crisis 5 Either or both covers?

I'd say most likely the Blue Beetle cover featuring Jamie front and center by Jim Lee. Not to say the other cover won't be worth anything. Just seems people strongly prefer the Beetle cover since it's also a first appearance. 

On 1/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, Shoomanfoo said:

Disagree as Eternals is Kirby art “the King”

Kirby high concept establishing Space Gods into the Marvel Universe

Eternals have had multiple spin offs and good selling story arcs ever since.

Eternals 1 was always more sought and pricier than MSE 15 for a reason...

Its the introduction and 1st appearance of multiple characters and concepts.

Eternals 1 was a $1-2 book forever and was maybe $15-20 in guide? MSE was a $15-30 book (which was like $90 in guide) for a long time.

5 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There's a perfectly appropriate thread in Bronze to discuss the relative merits of these bronze books

I am responding to something here. I am not paying attention to where we are. Just looked in my 2013 guide...eternals $30, SME 15..$285. no comparison.

9 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Did you say “guide” lol

such a dirty word now aday

My prior post acknowledged that both actually sold at a small fraction of guide, I just couldn't remember what guide was. Anyone, nobody cared about Eternals until recently. They barely cared about sme 15.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There's a perfectly appropriate thread in Bronze to discuss the relative merits of these bronze books

Somewhere, there's a perfectly appropriate OCD thread for this line of thinking... :baiting: