• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

I can’t imagine anyone growing in the 70s-80s reading comic books and NOT considering Master of Kung Fu a key comic title. Not a best seller by any stretch of the imagination, but fun, campy, and cool comic book title. 
I can however see how most readers growing in the same era not knowing or caring for Eternals. 
asserting that Eternals was a key book is a thought I would attribute to newer collectors who pick hot titles of trending blogs/apps 

7 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Did you say “guide” lol

such a dirty word now aday

In no way in this reality ever has eternals 1 been worth more than sme. I don’t care for either, but eternals was always relegated to the cheapest bins until the movie announcement. Sme never was. That’s just fact. In the 80s and 90s it was $1 eternals and $12 sme for realistic pricing

Edited by shiverbones
Clarification

not to jump on the bandwagon but i do have to agree with the majority.  I had probably 15 Eternals 1 when the movie news broke since I just thought it was worth a $1 (that book and Micronauts 1 I always grabbed in the $1 bins).  I've maybe owned 1 copy of SME and that was after the hype.  They were most likely on people's wall or in the expensive book boxes for as long as I can remember so I never bought them.

Edited by 1Cool

15 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I can’t imagine anyone growing in the 70s-80s reading comic books and NOT considering Master of Kung Fu a key comic title. Not a best seller by any stretch of the imagination, but fun, campy, and cool comic book title. 
I can however see how most readers growing in the same era not knowing or caring for Eternals. 
asserting that Eternals was a key book is a thought I would attribute to newer collectors who pick hot titles of trending blogs/apps 

And let's face it....All due respect to the late great Jack Kirby.....He's done more for comics than almost anyone. But The Eternals is practically unreadable..

16 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Most didn't care for either back then. Print runs were high and much more talent was on other books. And they could pay them well to stay on titles. 

MOKF just sat in my comic shops in the 80s.. Eternals was even worse at the time. What I am really interested to see is what the international attention will do for both books. 

2 hours ago, cd4ever said:

And let's face it....All due respect to the late great Jack Kirby.....He's done more for comics than almost anyone. But The Eternals is practically unreadable..

As a kid I enjoyed it for what it was. The Avengers which is what caused me to go back and read it was done by Stern and he did a great section on Eternlas.

Edited by fastballspecial

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

not to jump on the bandwagon but i do have to agree with the majority.  I had probably 15 Eternals 1 when the movie news broke since I just thought it was worth a $1 (that book and Micronauts 1 I always grabbed in the $1 bins).  I've maybe owned 1 copy of SME and that was after the hype.  They were most likely on people's wall or in the expensive book boxes for as long as I can remember so I never bought them.

Up until the movie announcement, SME 15 stayed on walls for years since no-one cared about the character. SME was a dead key that had zero interest at OSPG prices. You had to discount them to 50% of OSPG if you wanted to move them.

I see SME 15 following the same pattern as MP 15 and Marvel Super-Heroes 13/Ms. Marvel 1. How did those books work out for everyone that bought the hype? During the movie hype peak, people were paying $10K for a CGC 9.4 MSH 13 - the last copy sold for $5K. :tonofbricks:

I sold my (Modern) Gaiman Eternals mini too early, considering speculation that the movie will incorporate elements from that mini.

My (Modern) run of Shang Chi in Journey Into Mystery remains unsold. A little surprised considering the low numbers for those for that era (but someone did grab the Black Widows)

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Most didn't care for either back then. Print runs were high and much more talent was on other books. And they could pay them well to stay on titles. 

MOKF just sat in my comic shops in the 80s.. Eternals was even worse at the time. What I am really interested to see is what the international attention will do for both books. 

NOT gonna go down that road, since it leads nowhere.

Just gonna state the obvious. SME15 is, was, and always will be a key. Eternals wasnt

Last I check CGC doesnt grade importance of keys, they grade comics. No one else should either

4 hours ago, cd4ever said:

I wouldnt know; I own alot of kirby 70s complete runs/books, Sandman, Omac, New Gods, CA 193-214, almost the complete Kamandi series.

Eternals was never on my to read list.

Of course whoever bought heavy on those did great with their investment. No doubt about that. Smart actually

Just not as something I would consider a Kirby must have

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Outside SME 15 and 16 (both starlin), MKF was nearly entirely unsellable outside of the quarter type box for a long time. Deadly Hands of Kung Fu could sell, but probably more based on great art/artists/covers and some interesting backup stories/guests. MKFU as a title had very little interaction with the other Marvel properties and not much in the way of first appearances of characters that went outside MKFU. It's kind of like Marvel just let it be so long as it sold whatever minimal amount needed per month to avoid cancellation. Sort of like DC did with Warlord all those years. (And Conan lived in his own world, but he was a big enough genre to have multiple titles for decades). It's sort of amazing how how many other titles could not last during the time when MKF was around

15 minutes ago, the blob said:

Outside SME 15 and 16 (both starlin), MKF was nearly entirely unsellable outside of the quarter type box for a long time. Deadly Hands of Kung Fu could sell, but probably more based on great art/artists/covers and some interesting backup stories/guests. MKFU as a title had very little interaction with the other Marvel properties and not much in the way of first appearances of characters that went outside MKFU. It's kind of like Marvel just let it be so long as it sold whatever minimal amount needed per month to avoid cancellation. Sort of like DC did with Warlord all those years. (And Conan lived in his own world, but he was a big enough genre to have multiple titles for decades). It's sort of amazing how how many other titles could not last during the time when MKF was around

Now Warlord- that’s a great comparison. Of course not comparing genre or prices but DC first issue special 8 is just as undervalued as sme15 was but both are undeniably keys and books of great importance  

Having some freetime tonight I was curious how much the first one shot of Birds of Prey was going for cause it inspired hollywood to make somewhat of movie of it 24 years later.  and all I got to say wow!  I paid $5.50 plus GST when that first one-shot came out in 96...I was thinking of sending it in but....as I was rereading the comic, I discovered a big oops on the last page.  It took another one-shot and 2 more mini-series before the concept of "Birds of Prey" to go for a regular series which lasted well over 5 years.  Although the last Birds of Prey series, I just could not get into it because Oracle wasn't part of it cause....she reverted to being Batgirl all over again...sigh....  Will I send this one-shot in to get graded?.....eventually but there are others to be done first.

Prey.jpg

Prey2.jpg

If you even came close to sending in that book please hang out in the grade my book section since that is much too low of a grade to be slabbed.  Put it in sturdy Mylar if you have an attachment to it but slabbing that’s grade level is a losing proposition.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:47 AM, shiverbones said:

In no way in this reality ever has eternals 1 been worth more than sme. I don’t care for either, but eternals was always relegated to the cheapest bins until the movie announcement. Sme never was. That’s just fact. In the 80s and 90s it was $1 eternals and $12 sme for realistic pricing

I don’t know I paid 45.00 for a Eternals 1 in fine condition when I was on my Kirby collecting.

I was wrong that it’s more than SME but I’m confused about all the Eternals hate.

we must remember our keys where not always keys.

people don’t actually read comics much anymore so if another type of media makes it popular or sought...then it is a new key.

cant be denied as hard as we wish it to not be.

On 1/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, I like pie said:

Issue #1 had massive printing/shipping damage. Both on the regular cover and incentive. This is helping it stay hot. Only 37 9.8's on census and 11 of the incentive.

I haven't looked at closed sales on ebay but I would assume these ones selling higher are 9.8 candidates in the buyers eyes.

It is a good read too though.

Canto was a very good read. That and the damage 1st issue is keeping it hot. Hope for more Canto stories in the future.