• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Thank you for the insight

In America, Eternals was a pretty obscure, and apparently, judging from previous comments, not a well received title    

Well at least the Italian agrees with me “implied such concepts” he says...see that’s that Kirby high concept Ivwas talking about!

On 1/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, the blob said:
On 1/18/2020 at 6:52 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

I don’t know I paid 45.00 for a Eternals 1 in fine condition when I was on my Kirby collecting.

I was wrong that it’s more than SME but I’m confused about all the Eternals hate.

we must remember our keys where not always keys.

people don’t actually read comics much anymore so if another type of media makes it popular or sought...then it is a new key.

cant be denied as hard as we wish it to not be.

Nobody read Eternals. They got 6 or 8 pages into it. They bought the rest out of respect for Kirby. 

Oh please I read it and enjoyed at as a kid. I even bought all Thor's leading up to 300 and the Avengers run featuring them.

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:
On 1/20/2020 at 4:47 PM, ygogolak said:

There are plenty of comics to flip that are mostly geared towards teen+. Flipping something like a Frozen comic is especially weak.

I'd flip a book geared to geriatric grandmas if I could make a buck.

I agree insulting sellers because of what they sell is ridiculous. I may not like some books someone sells, but if they are making 
money who am I to judge them.

11 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Well at least the Italian agrees with me “implied such concepts” he says...see that’s that Kirby high concept Ivwas talking about!

From what I recall, Kirby was fascinated by cosmologic theories at the time, that implied "higher beings" which in some ways manipulated the development of human life on earth.
The concept has affinities with that of the New Gods, but is different. I would say the New Gods is very original, heavily imbued by Scriptural contents, and the whole Fourth World was an experimental work, not entirely accomplished, centered on the characters, their complexities, with much insight.
The Eternals, inversely, besides the cosmologic theories fashionable at the time also tapped in what Kirby called his "old continent heritage", i.e. his old aunts telling them kids stories from the old continent.
I recall I was pretty disturbed by the idea of the Celestials, and when I finished the first issue, where Ikaris reveals himself as not being human and about the Celestial… it infuses you with this displeasing feeling of man being a tiny creature in the univers, where huge forces beyond his comprehension are at play.
This, however, tones down as the narration unfolds, the characters become more familiar, and the Eternals "less distant". But the Celestials remain an unfathomable presence. Also deeply disturbing was the ritual where at some point the "Uni-mind" is conjured. And I don’t think this was merely the impact on a 10-years old like me: I was more impacted by Omega, still one of my favorite comics ever, Omega conjured thick mistery… but it was a mystery open to possibilities, related to life in a likely way.
The Eternals, inversely, with the Celestials showed these giant forces which could sweep away existence at their whim… 2001 was even worse in this sense.

Then Marvel "normalized" Eternals by having Thor questioning himself on an existential level about their existence as related to the norse "Gods" (in fact, super beings themselves, but you get the picture) – and thus the Eternals were pushed more into the Marvel continuity in quite a "forced" way. I have yet to read the whole Eternals saga, as it was not published in Italy because our publisher went bankrupt in 1984.

Edited by vaillant

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:
On 1/20/2020 at 9:43 PM, the blob said:

Nobody read Eternals. They got 6 or 8 pages into it. They bought the rest out of respect for Kirby. 

Oh please I read it and enjoyed at as a kid. I even bought all Thor's leading up to 300 and the Avengers run featuring them.

With "nobody" he meant "I did not".

14 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

FWIW, "the italian" met Kirby in person. ;-)
(Although I did not ask anything about the Eternals but I did so on Orion and the Fourth World… oh, yes, and that was interesting).

Here‘s a snippet from my old interview (1991). The female voice is a relative of mine. I am embarassed by my spoken English of 25+ years ago… Ugh!

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

From what I recall, Kirby was fascinated by cosmologic theories at the time, that implied "higher beings" which in some ways manipulated the development of human life on earth.
The concept has affinities with that of the New Gods, but is different. I would say the New Gods is very original, heavily imbued by Scriptural contents, and the whole Fourth World was an experimental work, not entirely accomplished, centered on the characters, their complexities, with much insight.
The Eternals, inversely, besides the cosmologic theories fashionable at the time also tapped in what Kirby called his "old continent heritage", i.e. his old aunts telling them kids stories from the old continent.
I recall I was pretty disturbed by the idea of the Celestials, and when I finished the first issue, where Ikaris reveals himself as not being human and about the Celestial… it infuses you with this displeasing feeling of man being a tiny creature in the univers, where huge forces beyond his comprehension are at play.
This, however, tones down as the narration unfolds, the character become more familiar, and the Eternals "less distant". But the Celestial remain an unfathomable presence. Also deeply disturbing the ritual where at some point the "Uni-mind" is conjured. And I don’t think this was merely the impact on a 10-years old like me: I was equally impacted by Omega, still one of my favorite comics ever, but Omega conjured thick mistery… a mystery open to possibilities, related to life in a likely way.
The Eternals, inversely seemed about these giant forces which could sweep away existence at their whim… 2001 was even worse in this sense.

Then Marvel "normalized" Eternals by having Thor questioning himself on an existential level about their existence as related to the norse "Gods" (in fact, super beings themselves, but you get the picture) – and thus the Eternals were pushed more into the Marvel continuity in quite a "forced" way. I have yet to read the whole Eternals saga, as it was not published in Italy because our publisher went bankrupt in 1984.

Well heres the thing, When the Eternals came out Erich Von Daniken was all the rage. He wasn't taken seriously by scientists but his book, Chariots of the Gods, was selling like hot cakes.
What is Chariots of the Gods? Well its the astronaught theory nonsense that the Ancient Aliens TV Show is based on. Apparently Kirby was a fan.

now before anyone says this is hogwash, what does it say on the cover of Eternals #2? "More Fantastic Than Chariots of the Gods!".

Jack Kirby got his ideas from ancient astronaut theory.

4 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Thank you for the insight

In America, Eternals was a pretty obscure, and apparently, judging from previous comments, not a well received title    

Except a ton of 1s were printed. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:09 AM, kimik said:

Up until the movie announcement, SME 15 stayed on walls for years since no-one cared about the character. SME was a dead key that had zero interest at OSPG prices. You had to discount them to 50% of OSPG if you wanted to move them.

I see SME 15 following the same pattern as MP 15 and Marvel Super-Heroes 13/Ms. Marvel 1. How did those books work out for everyone that bought the hype? During the movie hype peak, people were paying $10K for a CGC 9.4 MSH 13 - the last copy sold for $5K. :tonofbricks:

so true, took me about 5 attempts to sell my raw NM- here for 1/2 guide.  sorry, this continues the string of posts having nothing to do with moderns heating up. :sorry:

Edited by paperheart

3 hours ago, vaillant said:

With "nobody" he meant "I did not".

I like his crazed space art now. When I was 4 I thought it was lame. And my dad bought 2 copies of it for me shortly after it came out.

5 hours ago, vaillant said:

This, however, tones down as the narration unfolds, the character become more familiar, and the Eternals "less distant". But the Celestial remain an unfathomable presence. Also deeply disturbing the ritual where at some point the "Uni-mind" is conjured. And I don’t think this was merely the impact on a 10-years old like me: I was equally impacted by Omega, still one of my favorite comics ever, but Omega conjured thick mistery… a mystery open to possibilities, related to life in a likely way.
The Eternals, inversely seemed about these giant forces which could sweep away existence at their whim… 2001 was even worse in this sense.

Well spoken and I believe many feel this way about the story and the celestials.

They have been the pillar of creation of super beings of all races and gods.

The celestials are still and always will be “key” to the marvel universe.

yup I said key lol

9 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Well heres the thing, When the Eternals came out Erich Von Daniken was all the rage. He wasn't taken seriously by scientists but his book, Chariots of the Gods, was selling like hot cakes.
What is Chariots of the Gods? Well its the astronaught theory nonsense that the Ancient Aliens TV Show is based on. Apparently Kirby was a fan.

now before anyone says this is hogwash, what does it say on the cover of Eternals #2? "More Fantastic Than Chariots of the Gods!".

Jack Kirby got his ideas from ancient astronaut theory.

Yes! Von Daniken – I recalled the name but Google did not help me to nail it! The idea for the Eternals is entirely based on his fascination for these concepts (maybe he even stated that explicitly at the time).
As extravagant as they were the theories, Kirby managed to do – at least initially – a compelling and convicing narration of events.
True, the very same idea that some of the Eternals coincided with ancient mythologic figures was drastic, but the rest… the sense of overwhelming mystery, the sensation of man as a mere tiny part of the cosmos
Already masterfully evoked when he invented the Kree, anyway, but here it was drastic. The optimism in man, its cosmic role, its destiny, which was present in the Fantastic Four was not there.
The Eternals, in their weirdness, had something dramatic and frightening about them.

I can’t say that they were “the pillar of creation of super beings" as @Shoomanfoo said: the idea of super-beings have been there since the beginning in the Marvel age.
I’d rather say that the Eternals made the concept unfamiliar, in a way for which these beings of immense power were also total strangers.
Not such a silly idea as Shooter's Beyonder, rather something more likely, and thus more frightening. Outside the usual confidence in man, salvation, science as a positive means that belonged to the Marvel age.

44 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

20200122_132101.thumb.jpg.ab315e480e42adb6a0cf9a99147dc3a9.jpgBatman beyond 40 variant was the hot book at the LCS. Sold out as soon as the store opened.  Two guys got into an argument over it.  I would pick it if u see it today.  

Yea, selling well, def caused a spike on batman beyond #25 went from <$10 to $20+ this week.

22 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree insulting sellers because of what they sell is ridiculous. I may not like some books someone sells, but if they are making 
money who am I to judge them.

Would you like the hobby to be around for a while to sell to the adults who are today kids? Or just worry about yourself when there are other avenues to make the same money?

And I feel I need to explain this for some reason, the people doing this now are not going to be in the hobby when the lucrative train ride ends. They will move onto the next thing.