• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,730 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2020 at 9:37 PM, fastballspecial said:

This next month or two will be interesting. Online sales will increase while conventions either idle or have lower attendance
due to the corona virus. 

People's 401ks are down 30%. That is stress. I don't doubt half of that or more will be back by the end of the year though. I have let my ebay store fizzle and don't have it fully stocked. I now have time to get those listings up. Maybe they'll sell in 3 months.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

People's 401ks are down 30%. That is stress. I don't doubt half of that or more will be back by the end of the year though. I have let my ebay store fizzle and don't have it fully stocked. I now have time to get those listings up. Maybe they'll sell in 3 months.

If you're using your 401k to buy comics you're doing it wrong. What will effect the market is those told they are not allowed to work and thus not getting paid right now.

Folks who feel comfortable with their retirement $ are more likely to play around with their fun money in comics. I have no idea what kind of jobs internet comic buyers have. Probably not a lot of money thrown around by service employee folks, but this is going to ripple into other areas. 

On 3/17/2020 at 7:32 PM, Corona smith said:

Considering it’s been my username for years it’s in no way recent yeah pretty insensitive of me. 

I apologize, I should have looked at the joined date before making my comment. 

Patrick

14 hours ago, ygogolak said:
22 hours ago, the blob said:

If you're using your 401k to buy comics you're doing it wrong. What will effect the market is those told they are not allowed to work and thus not getting paid right now.

In his defense, that's not what the Blob said or meant. :makepoint:

On 3/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, evilskip said:

I don't get it, I really don't. Even if Punchline was in it, I still don't get why it would sell this high since she's now had two previous appearances.

Edited by William-James88

10 hours ago, William-James88 said:

I don't get it, I really don't. Even if Punchline was in it, I still don't get why it would sell this high since she's now had two previous appearances.

Initially it was FOMO concerning Punchline but after that it was because many,including myself, missed ordering the first print before the FOC date. It didn't occur to me that I missed it until after I saw the FOC date for Nightwing #70 second print which I did pre-order. After all, it is a cool Joker cover even without a Punchline appearance. I have to say all the hype around Batman 89,90 and YOTV Hell Arisen #3 totally drowned out the "Journey to Joker War". That's another reason I wanted it. I do want the complete Joker War story arc. I did get a first print copy of #70 for less than cover price but most shops under-ordered this issue also. Nightwing #70-#75 are included in the Joker War arc. *Prices for NightWing #70 have come down. About 50% less than the Ebay pre-sale ads after NCB release day.

Edited by kairos70

1 hour ago, kairos70 said:

Initially it was FOMO concerning Punchline but after that it was because many,including myself, missed ordering the first print before the FOC date. It didn't occur to me that I missed it until after I saw the FOC date for Nightwing #70 second print which I did pre-order. After all, it is a cool Joker cover even without a Punchline appearance. I have to say all the hype around Batman 89,90 and YOTV Hell Arisen #3 totally drowned out the "Journey to Joker War". That's another reason I wanted it. I do want the complete Joker War story arc. I did get a first print copy of #70 for less than cover price but most shops under-ordered this issue also. Nightwing #70-#75 are included in the Joker War arc. *Prices for NightWing #70 have come down. About 50% less than the Ebay pre-sale ads after NCB release day.

Ah I see, so it's not really a case of FOMO or Speculation but instead really just the demand of people who actually want it in their collection surpasses how many were made. makes sense, I didn't know about the Joker War stuff, and I have both batman and Detective in my pull list.

Edited by William-James88

On 3/17/2020 at 9:33 PM, GLCBrad said:

I didn’t say insensitive 

I just said it sucks

The "corona" disambiguation page on Wikipedia has 65 entries.

The "brad" disambiguation page has 12.

Just saying...

My sales were pretty decent the first two weeks of March, but I didn’t sell anything in the last week until just now. I put up some more hard to find books this weekend with best offer options, so we’ll see how this goes.

In a somewhat related note, I visited my favorite LCS today and picked up the last copy of the Spawn 306 D cover. I was surprised to see a family come in and spend a decent chunk of change on toys and comics. This person actually paid over $150 on a raw VF UXM 266. So it might be an outlier, but these folks weren’t afraid of buying during all this!

Edited by BishopT

3 hours ago, BishopT said:

My sales were pretty decent the first two weeks of March, but I didn’t sell anything in the last week until just now. I put up some more hard to find books this weekend with best offer options, so we’ll see how this goes.

In a somewhat related note, I visited my favorite LCS today and picked up the last copy of the Spawn 306 D cover. I was surprised to see a family come in and spend a decent chunk of change on toys and comics. This person actually paid over $150 on a raw VF UXM 266. So it might be an outlier, but these folks weren’t afraid of buying during all this!

It’s great their dropping coin at the LCS but as far as I know 1 in 4 Americans are supposed to be self quarantining. So  great for them possibly spreading a virus and killing some random people for comic books. Just like all the thoughtless imbeciles in my home state of New York who decide to bring the whole family shopping for non essentials. That will hopefully change after tonight’s stay at home order. 

I might pay that much for a better copy of UX266 but only for wiping my butt. I have a hatred of Gambit that’s beyond reasonable.  

My comic sales have slowed dramatically, but my DVD sales have taken off, especially TV series or non-streaming movies (just sold the Rodgers & Hammerstein collection that has been sitting in my store for a few months, for example).

4 hours ago, Hekla said:

My comic sales have slowed dramatically, but my DVD sales have taken off, especially TV series or non-streaming movies (just sold the Rodgers & Hammerstein collection that has been sitting in my store for a few months, for example).

Good point DVDs & Blue Rays I bet are selling well. 

Edited by fastballspecial

On 3/22/2020 at 6:12 AM, Corona smith said:

It’s great their dropping coin at the LCS but as far as I know 1 in 4 Americans are supposed to be self quarantining. So  great for them possibly spreading a virus and killing some random people for comic books. Just like all the thoughtless imbeciles in my home state of New York who decide to bring the whole family shopping for non essentials. That will hopefully change after tonight’s stay at home order. 

I might pay that much for a better copy of UX266 but only for wiping my butt. I have a hatred of Gambit that’s beyond reasonable.  

Not Modern. Not even Copper, but relevant to your comment. (Not "heating up" either.) After sitting there for months, my Treasury-sized copy of Superman and his Incredible Fortress of Solitude sold. Seems appropriate for the times.

17 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Star Wars Clone Wars 1 is absolutely smoking right now.

This turd will drop like a lead balloon after all the sheep finish grazing.... this hobby is a complete wash, rinse and repeat of the same garbage books week after week.