• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Yeah, at least it's all #1s. I gave a bad example. Here is a little better one. Got spawn and omega red, solid $20 each if nm, handful of books you recognize but are only $5 books, spiderwoman might get $10 and you move some real drek. Just always impressed with the prices people pay. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-KEY-Comic-WALL-BOOK-Lot-Spider-Woman-1-ASM-344-Spawn-Avengers-Batman-497-/362929364428?nav=SEARCH

That is a better lot, but still not worth it. All the work that will go into that and you might make a little profit. 
This seller sells volume and he has developed clients. He has been doing it for many years. 

The only seller I would buy something like that from is Zilaf because I know they grade well.

Just now, GLCBrad said:

Is there a story behind that book?

just a rare variant offered from the website back in the day likely sitting in MOTU collections .. I remember the 2000s when fan websites ruled

3 hours ago, Avi said:

Just saw Batman 664 being pushed as a possible early punchline, pushing this to a $20 book! I really hate this new aspect of the hobby. I know sepculation has been around forever but people pushing even the dumbest things is really tiresome.

Oh hey Captain America 593 first cameo appearance of Captain Americas toe ring.O.o

Fear of missing out. People get excited about worse books. Prices some books get are crazy. If I actually want one if these books I wait until they dont pan out or if they do then after the movie. Hobby wouldn't be what it is without speculators or new collectors coming in. Personally I like the speculation. I sell my raw books for slab prices or close enough. Speculators buy them, slab them, sell them to "collectors" Movie comes out, more movies come out, collector wants the newest hot thing or no longer collects, sells their slabbed book, I buy it back slabbed for half the price I sold it raw. The circle of life. Usually it is I don't care about or will find again in the wild, but could buy it back if I choose to do so.

51 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

That is a better lot, but still not worth it. All the work that will go into that and you might make a little profit. 
This seller sells volume and he has developed clients. He has been doing it for many years. 

The only seller I would buy something like that from is Zilaf because I know they grade well.

I have nothing against the seller good for him. I might block him from my searches only because he gets such good prices I will never purchase anything. He could have the best reputation in the world, been the 1st seller on Ebay and guarantee every book to be a 9.8 or better. Still don't get why people buy these listings. To resell them individually doesn't make since financially and too much variety for a collector. People buy them though. I just never heard anyone say yeah it's a good deal. The keys are worth $70 so really I am getting the rest of the books for 40 60 cents whatever it is. I just don't see people who give drek any value. I am sure on Facebook or a shop you could sell them for 50 cents or even a buck but talk about working for a profit. This seller found they key though, most people dont want to put any books of value in with their drek. I love it though.. 

100 wall books, maybe use them as wall paper.

On 5/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, spreads said:

One thing that comic lot buyers do that the flippers don't is they buy everything.  I will never go and cherry pick books from an individual selling their collection.  In fact today I saw one of 12 longs that was just awful, I didn't even give him a price even though he reeked of desperation.  If he still has it in a few days I'll make him an offer....This collection was 100% picked, I don't know by whom but it damaged goods and very tough to sell because of it....

This is me. I always buy the whole lot of them based on two things: 1) the collections haven't been cherry-picked; and 2) condition-condition-condition. I freaking hate looking through boxes that have been once-twice-three times looked-over. :facepalm: I'd never buy a collection that The Blob has had his hands on . . . :slapfight:

5 hours ago, BishopT said:

Spawn 241 sold for $150, today. Glad I picked one up last year for just over cover. Man... those 240s are almost all super pricey.

Spawn 243 also $150 on May 10th too.  249 is $100 regularly. 

Absolute insanity for this grouping.  It's funny because they were dirt cheap for so long because people were focused on 120 thru 230. 

Patrick

7 hours ago, Avi said:

Just saw Batman 664 being pushed as a possible early punchline, pushing this to a $20 book! I really hate this new aspect of the hobby. I know sepculation has been around forever but people pushing even the dumbest things is really tiresome.

Oh hey Captain America 593 first cameo appearance of Captain Americas toe ring.O.o

people need comics to spec on

11 hours ago, spreads said:

You must be a hit with the ladies...

Out of the 10k collection - 50 longs.  10 were bulked out, and maybe 20 comics were thrown away....I gave three sets of kids comics (marvel adventures) to my nephews.

Cool, what's next, a "yo mama" joke?

17 hours ago, Avi said:

Batman 664 is down from 4-8 weeks ago as far as I can tell on feebay

12 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Spawn 243 also $150 on May 10th too.  249 is $100 regularly. 

Absolute insanity for this grouping.  It's funny because they were dirt cheap for so long because people were focused on 120 thru 230. 

Patrick

How doe the print runs from 200-250 compare with 250-300? That may be the next area to speculate.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Batman 664 is down from 4-8 weeks ago as far as I can tell on feebay

Always late to the spec party. At least the speculator sites are reading the comics, right?

Crazy how some of the more generic spawns from then are still $10-$20. I guess my LCS was still in a 1993 mindset and he always ordered too many spawns, even in the 220-230something range. I wound up fishing a lot of the homage covers (ASM 300, Hulk 340, etc.) out of the dollar box and tons of the less popular issues in between. But by 240 or so I think he had stopped overordering.

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

Crazy how some of the more generic spawns from then are still $10-$20. I guess my LCS was still in a 1993 mindset and he always ordered too many spawns, even in the 220-230something range. I wound up fishing a lot of the homage covers (ASM 300, Hulk 340, etc.) out of the dollar box and tons of the less popular issues in between. But by 240 or so I think he had stopped overordering.

I snagged around 100 of the homage covers from a LCS blowing out books at 3 for a dollar at the Calgary Expo a few years back. They went straight from there to my tables where they sold fast at elevated prices. lol 

I still have a couple left, but not the high value ones.

I haven't looked at post-250 prices. 

I'm somewhat surprised to hear they are up too because the series got a bump when Simmons returned. 

I can see some as they somewhat neared 300; though the insane advertising of the 300th issue shouldn't have made it a surprise. 

Patrick

23 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I haven't looked at post-250 prices. 

I'm somewhat surprised to hear they are up too because the series got a bump when Simmons returned. 

I can see some as they somewhat neared 300; though the insane advertising of the 300th issue shouldn't have made it a surprise. 

Patrick

Some of the 270s are getting up there ($20 ish), and I don’t know about the ones leading to 300, though. When Mattina started doing regular covers I know the orders went up, especially the ASM homages right before 300 that McFarlane did, I saw a bunch of those when they came out.

edit: I just looked up every issue after 250 on ebay and wow... there are a handful that are routinely $30 or more. It seems “a” covers sell for significantly more than b or c etc, for the most part, as well.

252 really surprised me.

Edited by BishopT