• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Color rub, spine stresses, etc... it doesn't look NM/MT .... but every key in that type of shape sells really high even if it's rawww

15 hours ago, Brock said:

Are you poking me? Yes, as some Boardies know, I sold my last startup two years ago, and am biding my time until I launch the next one. I just always worked on the assumption that unless we were talking comic prices, money was an ungentlemanly topic...

Only because you liked the earlier post . . . :wink:

On 6/29/2020 at 9:09 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
On 6/29/2020 at 4:26 PM, divad said:

The "Poor Ron" was obvious sarcasm . . . :bigsmile:

Considering the misogyny I've noticed in comics fandom, it's not always obvious.

But . . . I'm a caring feeling human being :bigsmile:

(surrounded by a household of girls)

Edited by divad

1 hour ago, John R said:

I think so.

1896223066_ScreenShot2020-07-02at7_10_09AM.thumb.jpg.20f6ade9481e721282f8e364f5b0d270.jpg

What’s fishy about it? Just to clarify what I’m seeing. The bidders a new account with 3 bids on the same item? I guess I can see that could be indicative of something shady but not proof. What would the point be in buying your own book? I could see someone shill bidding if they aren’t getting the money they want but actually following through and paying for the item isn’t the normal next move, especially that amount of money. 

Edited by Corona smith

20 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

What’s fishy about it? Just to clarify what I’m seeing. The bidders a new account with 3 bids on the same item? I guess I can see that could be indicative of something shady but not proof. What would the point be in buying your own book? I could see someone shill bidding if they aren’t getting the money they want but actually following through and paying for the item isn’t the normal next move, especially that amount of money. 

It's not proof of anything and purely speculative. One of my books recently was accused of having shilled bids. It was a new account with very little bids (like this one) and the auction ended and the buyer paid me. No issues. Conspiracy theorists.

1 hour ago, Corona smith said:

I don't think anybody flat out said this is proof of shilling - just that it looks fishy. Usually what happens in cases like this, is a user will set up one or more fake accounts and will bid up or even "buy it now" and never pay for the book. Their goal is to drive up the GPA and "sold" prices. I had it happen a lot a few years back with New Mutants 86. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

16 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I don't think anybody flat out said this is proof of shilling - just that it looks fishy. Usually what happens in cases like this, is a user will set up one or more fake accounts and will bid up or even "buy it now" and never pay for the book. Their goal is to drive up the GPA and "sold" prices. I had it happen a lot a few years back with New Mutants 86. 

Someone a few pages back asked if it looked like shill bidding and there were several it’s fishy responses. 

2 minutes ago, Corona smith said:

Someone a few pages back asked if it looked like shill bidding and there were several it’s fishy responses. 

I'm missing where fishy means proof of shill bidding.

At first glance, it looks fishy. We have no proof either way if it was shill bidding or not.

Edited by awakeintheashes

9 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I'm missing where fishy means proof of shill bidding.

At first glance, it looks fishy. We have no proof either way if it was shill bidding or not.

It’s all right there In my post. A person asked if shill bidding was involved. A few people responded with its fishy. Then someone posted the screenshot of the winning bidders history and stated it’s fishy. So a direct question with responses leaning towards yes.  I don’t think anything fishy was going on myself. Everyone started as a new buyer at some point. 

Edited by Corona smith

The difference with "normal shill bidding" (if that's even a thing) is that shill bidding is used to push a price up to where the seller is more comfortable letting go of the item.  A shilling seller will start at $0.99 and make sure they get the full $300 or whatever they believe the item is worth when the bids are too low.  In the case of the Ultimate Fallout #4 CGC 9.8 newsstand, the starting bid was $6,000.  The seller wanted at least $6,000 and the first bid of any kind would guarantee the full $6,000.  The seller had no reason to shill.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

The difference with "normal shill bidding" (if that's even a thing) is that shill bidding is used to push a price up to where the seller is more comfortable letting go of the item.  A shilling seller will start at $0.99 and make sure they get the full $300 or whatever they believe the item is worth when the bids are too low.  In the case of the Ultimate Fallout #4 CGC 9.8 newsstand, the starting bid was $6,000.  The seller wanted at least $6,000 and the first bid of any kind would guarantee the full $6,000.  The seller had no reason to shill.

Unless they entered the starting bid.

"Whoa! It started at $6000. Must be worth more. Let me bid 8k."

11 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Unless they entered the starting bid.

"Whoa! It started at $6000. Must be worth more. Let me bid 8k."

The opposite view is that the $8,000 bids both happened in the final minute of the auction.  A shill bidder pushes the price up with plenty of time for the real bidders to react.

The opposite view is that the $8,000 bids both happened in the final minute of the auction.  A shill bidder pushes the price up with plenty of time for the real bidders to react.

All valiant points man. 

I don't see anything fishy. Someone listed a book and 2 fools came along and bid on it. If it was shill bidding then good. Should of ran it up higher. I love shill bidding. Takes $ away from my buying competition and if the bidders ever realize what is being done to them, maybe they will give up auctions and come buy my over priced buy it nows.