• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,751 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2020 at 7:11 AM, littledoom said:

If you have Gotham Central 1 now is a good time to list it on eBay. Copies are being wiped off eBay. Seeing it fetch $30-35. New HBO MAX show coming

sold my VF+ copy on Ebay in 15 mins at 7x what i couldn't sell it for here. a pittance but thanks.

6 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I'm seeing lots of green arrows for issues 1-6 on GPA

On 7/11/2020 at 3:19 PM, BishopT said:

Cates mania has turned to a fever pitch. It seems that it’s mostly his Marvel work (by far), but how long until his “indie” work takes off? God Country got hot and cooled way down already, interceptor is a sleeper book, Redneck has not moved for a while, even less so for Baby Teeth, and Paybacks is just a goldmine waiting to be optioned.

I know his writing has been the most consistently praised work at Marvel for years, but do you think it maintains the spec hype going forward in terms of years?

I think its a terrible reflection of the market when 2nd prints of Ruins haven't even come out and people are asking $50 an issue. 

Online retailers sold out of them even selling them at $10-20 each.

That being said he is about the only consistent writer Marvel has right now.

6 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:
On 7/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, IbukiLord said:

Paying $1000 for a modern book is just stupid.

I wouldn't be buying any of these hot books at the moment unless you can get them for cover price.

I'm not sure that statement could be truthful in every way.  Purchasing a $1000 modern book and selling it for a significant higher amount when it peaks? I'd say that worked out and wasn't stupid. There will be wins and losses in this hobby when you speculate or buy comics at a certain price point.  Buying what you love eliminates that problem.

Modern books that will be keys regardless will be extremely hard to find for cover price.  Please go find a Walking Dead 1, UF4, EOS2, Invincible 1, Chew 1 at cover price right now.
There are collectors that exclusively collect modern books and only chase after comics of that era.  There will always be a market for modern books. 

There doesn't always need to be a comparison of Modern to any other age.  Gets a little tiresome hearing everytime a modern book spikes in price, "i'd rather have 'insert any other age' book".

It is possible to buy and appreciate books across all eras. 2c

I would say it differently. Id rather put $1k in a stable growing Silver or Bronze key. 

The fluctuation of the modern market along with the fraud and market manipulation
has soured many collectors on moderns in general.

I am not optimistic on the modern market until a section of the hobby leaves again.

Edited by fastballspecial